• Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jul 1, 2012
    This is in the "now for something completely different" category I guess. The Astra 3000 was produced from 1946 to 1956 with ~45k made. This is a model 3001 since it has the chrome finish, of which 2253 regular production 3001's in .380 ACP were made. This is one of the earlier pistols evidenced by the top-cover slide (like a P.38); the slide was re-designed in 1952 to a solid top. Completely impractical, this one can't be fired of course but it's interesting to me and the first cutaway I've had my hands on. The original chrome finish is suffering but mostly intact. The only markings on it are the "Unceta y Compania S.A. / Guernica (Spain)" on the slide and either assembly number or possibly S/N on the frame (which would normally be under the grip) and underside of the barrel. These are locations where you'd usually find the last 3 digits of the serial number, with production S/N's running from high 600K to low 700K. It also doesn't have any proofs or the Astra logo on the top of the slide. The edges of the cutaway sectioning are jeweled, and the inside of the magazine are also jeweled. The left side of the magazine has a large section cut out so you can see the opposite inside wall, usually the left side is solid. The location and shape of the sectioning is identical to the two shown in Antaris' book, which doesn't mention how many of these cutaways were made (at least I couldn't find it).
    DSC_8150.JPG

DSC_8149.JPG

DSC_8155.JPG

DSC_8162.JPG

DSC_8193.JPG

DSC_8199.JPG

DSC_8178.JPG

DSC_8201.JPG

DSC_8202.JPG

Jul 1, 2012
    For comparison here's a late production 3001 I had a while ago (this one was .32 ACP). Note the frame proofs at the back.
    1.JPG

Astra logo on the slide tube.
    DSC_7994.JPG

You can see the difference in the slide with the rear sight milled out (much more like the original model 300)
    DSC_7993.JPG

Production magazine w/o cuts
    30 - Copy.JPG

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    That was quick! Didn't take long to get it. No doubt in my mind that this is an Astra factory produced cut-away. Usually you see the cross-sections painted red or some other color to protect them from corrosion. Love the machine jewelling. Very unique.

Jul 1, 2012
    The genuine bright nickel-plated Wolverines are pretty rare. There's a guy that's been taking the standard blued/anodized pistols and creating nickel-plated ones so you have to be careful; the factory nickel fall in a specific serial range.
    Wolverines!
    4s.JPG

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Hey thanks for posting this. I seem to have a real nerd spot for cutaway drawings
    And sketches, but seeing models like this are very special. I’m not a collector but I really do appreciate the craftsman level of machining that went into producing this piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enfield303

Feb 12, 2011
    Harford County
    Thanks for posting. It really took a lot of work to cut away enough so you can see inside but, not enough so that it falls apart. The jeweling is a nice touch.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    One thing you don't see as much of are commercial Astras based on the model 1921, esp. post ww2 versions like the 3000 and Falcon (4000). Kinda living in the shadows of the original military versions and newer post war designs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom