• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Like so many others, after SB 281 passed, I went out and bought an AR, and now am building a second. I've started on the lower and once I buy the FCG and the safety next week I'll be able to finish the lower.

Which leads me to my questions, re: the armorer's or castle nut wrench.

First, do I really need this? Are there other reasonable ways of getting it on without that tool? (I'm reminded of the bolt catch spring and detent - the right way to do it is a special tool but I used a razor blade & others a credit card.)

Second does it matter if my buffer tube is milspec or commercial, and hence do I need a specific sized wrench? Does the nut exterior have a different diameter, like the actual tube itself?

Third are there other uses for this tool outside of this one application? I don't mind buying a tool if I'm going to use it many times, but it may be I have to buy this thing only to use it once in my life. Seems a shame if so. (I haven't yet looked at the upper build videos so maybe there is something in there.)

And last if I do have to buy this, any recommendations? I've been suprised at the wide range in prices. Most are going for $30-$45, but I've seen one on Amazon for as little as $10. While I don't mind investing on quality parts for my firearms, a one-time-use-only (maybe?) tool is another matter.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    I grabbed the $10 one off Amazon. Seems like it'll get me through one or two builds. Some of the reviews weren't that good, so I know I'm taking a slight risk.

I'm sure there are different qualities of castle nuts, but there's not a difference in sizing of them between commercial and mil-spec. (learned after much searching to ensure I was ordering a mil-spec nut)

sywl95

Jan 20, 2009
    if you just need to tighten castle nut, then any shock spanner wrench will work, as long as it fits. If you also want to work on upper, then Armourer's wrench.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Thanks SRD! Very kind. I've just got to let the credit card billing cycle boundary hit (I'm spreading my purchases out over time). I'll then buy the fire control group and the safety, then I'll be ready to finish the lower. I'll shoot you a PM when ready.

(FYI I've bagged more raccoons this year already. Getting my own trap was a great investment, and thanks again for the initial loan of yours.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom