• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    You could take the position that the odds of an ( actual ) Active Shooter / Terrorist Attack at any one school are so low as to round off to zero , less than the building struck by lightning , or swallowed by an earthquake , and the the most efficient preparation is no preparation . And 99 9999% be right .

But delibertly bringing sling shots and insect spray to a gunfight as Plan A , doesn't even qualify as a bad joke . Benign neglect is better that taking that seriously .

gmkoh

Feb 26, 2013
    Annapolis
    I'm old, memory is not as sharp as it once was, but IIRC a few years ago, there was a bill in the mga to allow each school district to research arming school staff and allowing each district to determine if they wanted to allow staff in there school district to carry and under what conditions
    Of course this never made it out of committee, but as I remember, a company, I think from Ohio, but possibly from Indiana or Illinois testified for the bill describing in detail the training they offered to teachers and school staff in school defense. I think they did not charge the teachers or schools. It was voluntary training. They would announce x number of training seats and they were always full with a huge waiting list. They had stats as to the effectiveness of training, the safety of trained teachers carrying and how many school districts were seeking their training. It was quite impressive and persuasive ( but fell on deaf ears). I can't remember the company ( maybe group is more accurate), but I am sure they came to testify at the invitation of one of our MSI leaders. They might have been the same company referenced in the Newsmax link at the beginning of this thread.
    My point being that there are resources out there. Schools do not have to reinvent the wheel; and that, as has been said before, there are already hundreds of thousands of armed staff in our schools and the only class rooms running in blood are those in unarmed gun free schools.
    I wish I could remember who the presenters were.

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    (Many teachers may not want to accept the professional and legal liability that would be associated with a classroom carry mistake.

Which is why it shouldn't be mandatory

Arming teachers sounds like a good idea, but in real life it will lead to major problems.

Replace the word teachers with civilians...
    sounds like standard long term Marylander battered gun owner syndrome

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Thousands of handguns worn by thousands of poorly trained teachers in thousands of classrooms where administrative support for discipline is often non-existent, especially in the worst schools. Not a good plan. (Many teachers may not want to accept the professional and legal liability that would be associated with a classroom carry mistake. And Monday morning quarterbacks will find the "mistakes" of others in a CYA situation.)

School and mass shootings are a problem with complex causes and NO SIMPLE SOLUTIONS. Arming teachers sounds like a good idea, but in real life it will lead to major problems.

Walk through a puddle of dish detergent on a hard surface floor and see how well you can maneuver, while trying to aim with a face full of wasp spray while being hit in the head with 1/2" steel bearings. :D
    In real life it's actually happening without all the doom and gloom in plenty of states.

No offense but you sound like a FUDD clown. Dish detergent and ball bearings instead of trained up and willing armed teachers, WTF?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Some years ago the State reached out wanting "SME's" because they were starting a program to to try and tackle school active shooters. I think that idea got nowhere.

OldBrokenGrunt

Aug 3, 2022
    Mount Airy
    My wife is a teacher. She is completely uncomfortable with the thought of carrying a firearm in her role as a teacher. Not to say that having armed members of staff is such a bad idea, but I have meet some of her fellow teachers who have shown interest and to be honest, handing a few of these loons a pack of matches would be outside my comfort zone. I think a case by case basis would be needed.

GiveMeABreak

Aug 14, 2020
    Not a good idea. Teachers have enough stress. Maybe just park a tank in the parking lot in order to take care of the bad guys. better Yet have a drone on standby……

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    Well, we were training active shooter when we weren't training in fuselages.
    I took a class with a former SEAL as the instructor. He shared an anecdote about when he left the Navy he went on to be a FAM. When he described the FAMS training, his exact words were, “ I thought I knew how to shoot”.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    Not a good idea. Teachers have enough stress. Maybe just park a tank in the parking lot in order to take care of the bad guys. better Yet have a drone on standby……
    Which teacher gets the keys to the tank? My gym teacher would’ve been awesome. My football coach would’ve made a great second.

HaveBlue

HaveBlue
    Dec 4, 2014
    Virginia
    My wife is a teacher. She is completely uncomfortable with the thought of carrying a firearm in her role as a teacher. Not to say that having armed members of staff is such a bad idea, but I have meet some of her fellow teachers who have shown interest and to be honest, handing a few of these loons a pack of matches would be outside my comfort zone. I think a case by case basis would be needed.
    My civics teacher in 9th grade was a former Marine. I don’t think he would be impressed by you lack of confidence In teachers.

Frankly, concealed carry is not that hard. If a teacher is so overwhelmed by being a teacher.… maybe they should consider another career.

AliasNeo07

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2009
    MD
    My civics teacher in 9th grade was a former Marine. I don’t think he would be impressed by you lack of confidence In teachers.

Frankly, concealed carry is not that hard. If a teacher is so overwhelmed by being a teacher.… maybe they should consider another career.
    That's a bit harsh. It's a difficult job, especially these days.

Forcing teachers to be armed is among the dumbest ideas I've ever heard in my life. Some people are not gun people. You shouldn't be required to have a firearm on you in order to teach the youth of this nation. That's just ridiculous.

Now, if they WANT to be armed, that's different.

lazybones

BANNED!!!
    Mar 25, 2022
    That's a bit harsh. It's a difficult job, especially these days.

Forcing teachers to be armed is among the dumbest ideas I've ever heard in my life. Some people are not gun people. You shouldn't be required to have a firearm on you in order to teach the youth of this nation. That's just ridiculous.

Now, if they WANT to be armed, that's different.
    This is a great comment. Not everyone wants to carry around a loaded weapon or will keep up with the training. A teacher's job is to teach. How many people have to have handguns fall out of their purse or backpack before people realize that firearms may be a bad idea if they are not always under full control of a trained person?

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    What many of these discussions forget is that there are already many armed teachers in states that allow this. Outside of a few 'forgot gun in bathroom stall' incidents and a UT elementary school teacher who shot herself in the bathroom, it hasn't created any downside risk. Granted, we have yet to see a shooting stopped by an armed teacher, but that's probably a function of school shootings being incredibly unlikely to start with.

I am against forcing or incentivicing teachers to carry. But those who want to should be given the opportunity to train, qualify and carry (the minimum qualification criterion should be: 'performs better than the Uvalde ISD PD)

Last edited:

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Has anyone actually suggested forcing teachers to be armed other than the people that are against teachers being armed?
    Not that I've seen and I follow this extremely closely. It's generally, as you pointed out, the argument people use that are against it. The nearest thing in credible plans is a financial benefit for teachers that take on this additional role to either compensate them for the costs of training/gear or for their added responsibilities following their specialized expertise from training.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I had an Architectual drawing teacher in 9th grade who was a marine reserve master sgt. The dude could crack coconuts with his calves. Awesome dude. Never once saw him lose his temper. There were a couple of times someone REALLY pissed him off. He'd talk in a very cool, calm, and collected voice. No naughty words, no raised tone, but the veins in his neck and forehead would bulge out so much they might hit someone nearby and everyone would get REAL quiet because you knew he was PISSED.

I am not sure what the Marine Corps minimum height is, but he was right at it, or maybe under. Then again, it is possible they just measured his shoulder width and called that his height to get in, because he was about as broad as he was tall.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    I had an Architectual drawing teacher in 9th grade who was a marine reserve master sgt. The dude could crack coconuts with his calves. Awesome dude. Never once saw him lose his temper. There were a couple of times someone REALLY pissed him off. He'd talk in a very cool, calm, and collected voice. No naughty words, no raised tone, but the veins in his neck and forehead would bulge out so much they might hit someone nearby and everyone would get REAL quiet because you knew he was PISSED.

*****I met this girl at the gym, who is a teacher in MoCo, who can crack a coconut between her thighs and dead lifts 400 lbs for reps... :shocked4:

Dunno what she teaches, or if she was in the military, but I have a feeling her boyfriend, assuming she has one, is very very careful to not piss her off when his head is anywhere *near* her thighs!!! :thumbsup:

Crazy strong gal.

Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I have mixed emitting on this subject.
    On the one hand, armed teachers could provide an immediate response to an attacker.

On the other hand, the biggest f×÷=ups I ever met were elementary education majors in college.

But either way, I think we should thank the 72% of teachers who haven't tried to hook up with their students yet, and the 15% not trying to indoctrinate the kids into Marxist ideology.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I took a class with a former SEAL as the instructor. He shared an anecdote about when he left the Navy he went on to be a FAM. When he described the FAMS training, his exact words were, “ I thought I knew how to shoot”.
    I may have known him.
    One of my best friends is in the Teams. Says his pistol skills suck. He's ok. They basically carry it for SHTF and only 1 spare mag. Team 6 guys really work their pistols tho.
    Now, throw a sub gun in his hands...

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    No one with any sense is advocating forcing teachers to be armed. And please don't offer stipends as a misguided incentive to defend kids. It'll accomplish nothing worthwhile. One will want to defend their charges, or they won't. Sheer folly to try purchasing a defensive mindset that can't be bought.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom