• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    You don’t
    I’ve backed up my statements with two conversations today with the ATF. Both without hesitation said it’s a lower and the owner can build it , disassemble it and build it again going from rifle to pistol etc… I encourage you to do the same and talk with the ATF as no one else so far has seemed to do. If you get a different answer than I received I would greatly appreciate the name and number so I can put them in touch with my agents and let them hash this out.
    Thanks and good luck.
    304-616-4500

There is an agent there that would love to answer all your questions.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    304-616-4500

There is an agent there that would love to answer all your questions.
    Asked and answered. If some people choose to live their life more complicated than need be that’s fine with me. I only got involved so they wouldn’t take the OP with them.

5pins

Mar 23, 2014
    Charles Town WV

subman

BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2015
    Asked and answered. If some people choose to live their life more complicated than need be that’s fine with me. I only got involved so they wouldn’t take the OP with them.
    hahaha appreciate it

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    My apologies, it was quoting this letter from the ATF and it was using T/C ruling in it.

It is not just a letter from the ATF, it is ruling 2011-4, which is still valid according to https://www.atf.gov/rules-and-regulations/firearms-rulings It is an official position taken by the ATF.

It does not directly address how to treat a lower by itself.
    Specifically, ATF has been asked to determine whether such a pistol, once returned to a pistol configuration from a rifle, becomes a “weapon made from a rifle” as defined under the National Firearms Act (NFA).
    It addresses parts kits such as the T/C kit. It addresses constructive intent where the parts do not need to be assembled for a violation to occur. It also addresses that the “weapon made from a rifle” subsection occurs when "produced from a weapon originally assembled or produced only as a rifle."

This ruling seems to clarify that the “weapon made from a rifle” is based on the original configuration. It would seem to me that this would allow a lower to be returned to its original configuration and be built into a valid configuration from the original configuration. People should read the ruling and decide for themselves, how to best interpret this situation.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I ended up buying a new lower and will build a pistol.
    Fortunately lowers are relatively cheap. I wonder when people buy used receivers are they doing a trace to see what it was before or simply build a rifle to stay Safe?
    Insert sarcasm

subman

BANNED!!!
    Aug 17, 2015
    Fortunately lowers are relatively cheap. I wonder when people buy used receivers are they doing a trace to see what it was before or simply build a rifle to stay Safe?
    Insert sarcasm

yea.. ive seen people on Youtube buying blemished receivers. smh

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom