• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ktigerJ

Ultimate Member
    Jun 5, 2013
    Daniel87,

I am fairly new as well but found the stripped lower and part kits to be really easy like other on here have said. It was my first time building one up and I made some mistakes. I put one of the springs for the takedown pin detent in the safety selector spot and ran in the mag release too far. Both were a simple fix and the whole thing including the mistakes took about 25 minutes. You need a set of smallish roll pin punches ( I got mine at Tractor Supply), a hammer, a box cutter, and pair of needle nose pliers. The box cutter is for a "trick" for putting the pivot pin spring and detent. There is a complete guide posted on ar15.com If you haven't already search YouTube for the vids.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yeah, this really is a no-brainer even if it takes a while and some help to learn how to put these things together. Whatever you do, do NOT buy an HBAR right now. You can certainly buy that after October 1, 2013. Heck, you can eve buy a heavy barrel upper for one of your pre October 1, 2013 banned AR's and use it when you wish, or just buy the entire HBAR rifle after October 1, 2013.

I agree with the others on here. Buy as many AR-15 lowers as your budget allows and then worry about building them up one at a time. Parts kits, etc. would be a nice Christmas present, or any other holiday present if you do not celebrate Christmas.

Keep in mind, come October 2, 2013, Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc. cannot even leave you any stripped lowers or complete AR's other than a complete HBAR or SBR, but a SBR is in a completely different class. SBR stands for Short Barreled Rifle just in case you did not know.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Yeah, this really is a no-brainer even if it takes a while and some help to learn how to put these things together. Whatever you do, do NOT buy an HBAR right now. You can certainly buy that after October 1, 2013. Heck, you can eve buy a heavy barrel upper for one of your pre October 1, 2013 banned AR's and use it when you wish, or just buy the entire HBAR rifle after October 1, 2013.

I agree with the others on here. Buy as many AR-15 lowers as your budget allows and then worry about building them up one at a time. Parts kits, etc. would be a nice Christmas present, or any other holiday present if you do not celebrate Christmas.

Keep in mind, come October 2, 2013, Santa Clause, the Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy, etc. cannot even leave you any stripped lowers or complete AR's other than a complete HBAR or SBR, but a SBR is in a completely different class. SBR stands for Short Barreled Rifle just in case you did not know.

Problem is that you can buy a dozen, but you can only pick up one every 30 days, right?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Problem is that you can buy a dozen, but you can only pick up one every 30 days, right?

Not if you have a Designated Collector status. I was picking up 3 at a time along with some handguns.

Better to get a PO in place now for a dozen and pick them up over the next 12 months versus not at all. Plus, at the same time you put your PO in place, you can send in your Designated Collector application. It is running around 60 days right now. So, you could technically pick them up all before Christmas. Maybe even Halloween.

Christmas came in April for me. Received my Designated Collector approval on April 6. My brother and brother in-law just received theirs a couple of days ago and my brother just bought a Sig P226 Tacops, FN FNX-45, and 3 Tactical Innovation lowers. Pretty sure my brother in-law is going nuts too. They will have all of them by the end of the month.

With that said, applying for the Designated Collector status at this point will NOT help with handguns and the requirement for the HQL for those picking up after October 1, 2013. At this point, if you do not have the Designated Collector approval you can only squeeze in one more handgun purchase before you will need the HQL to take possession of others after October 1, 2013.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Not if you have a Designated Collector status. I was picking up 3 at a time along with some handguns.

Better to get a PO in place now for a dozen and pick them up over the next 12 months versus not at all. Plus, at the same time you put your PO in place, you can send in your Designated Collector application. It is running around 60 days right now. So, you could technically pick them up all before Christmas. Maybe even Halloween.

Christmas came in April for me. Received my Designated Collector approval on April 6. My brother and brother in-law just received theirs a couple of days ago and my brother just bought a Sig P226 Tacops, FN FNX-45, and 3 Tactical Innovation lowers. Pretty sure my brother in-law is going nuts too. They will have all of them by the end of the month.

With that said, applying for the Designated Collector status at this point will NOT help with handguns and the requirement for the HQL for those picking up after October 1, 2013. At this point, if you do not have the Designated Collector approval you can only squeeze in one more handgun purchase before you will need the HQL to take possession of others after October 1, 2013.

I submitted my DC in mid-July. Bought a Sig P229 at the end of July. I can get in one purchase on Aug 30th and another on Sept 30th unless I get my DC back in time. That will be good enough for me for now.

Daniel87

Jan 10, 2013
    Phoenix, MD
    Picked up a lower from freestate, and got a PSA lower build kit with magpul furniture, to try my own build. Probably wont get an upper for a while.

May go in before october and pick up a Colt LE 6920 also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom