• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    My gal and I are looking to buy or put together a set of AR's. She is very content with the .223 and I want to stick to .308. We have ~5500 to spend on them (glass included)

Purpose - Paper / Steel targets
    Distance - 100 - 600 yards
    Shooting from - Prone / Bench
    Bbl - 18" - 24"
    Upper Style - Flat Top (will be mounting glass)

Misc - HBAR is not mandatory but it would be nice.

I have extra bi-pods from my other rifles so I do not have to include those in the builds.

How would you spend your money on those? I have looked at the Colt CR6720 and CR6724, Various builds from Fulton Armory, as well as the Armalite AR10sbf. I am not opposed to anything but I would like to keep it inside of that price cap.

We have bolt rifles and I am not looking for 1/4 moa shooters, but I would prefer accuracy over tacti-cool.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    For the .308 rifle, use a receiver that uses the same mags as the Knights or DPMS guns. Mags are cheaper and more common than the Armalite style.

Ammo for the .308 can get expensive. A 5.56 gun is cheaper plus you can add a 6.5 upper for precision shooting if you want.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Go to 2A sales. They usually have AR308’s and always have AR's in 5.56. Try some out and see what you like in real life. IIRC there was a SIG716 last time I was there that looked very nice. Couple that with a SIG 516 and you'd have a sweet pair.

-Jm

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    For the .308, you might consider a Mega MATEN upper/lower set. Pick a decent fixed stock (if i were building Magpul PRS, MOE rifle or plain A1/A2). a decent free float and then pick a Mid gas 18" or Rifle gas 20-22" with muzzle accessory of your choice, (id probably pick a jp brake or spike dynacomp or BC) or target crown. Assuming your inclined to build your own.

As to barrel, the key is to match the bolt/bcg to the extension and ensure its headspaced right, dont mix DPMS style with armalite style as the bolt/extensions are set up slightly different.

offhand Id say you can get a real nice AR-15 for $1k -$1.5K (build or out of box) or so, a decent 308 for $2k-2.5k (built), and then buy the optics you want.

though actually might be worth picking the optics you want for each then buying the rifle or components you want from there.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    For the .308, you might consider a Mega MATEN upper/lower set. Pick a decent fixed stock (if i were building Magpul PRS, MOE rifle or plain A1/A2). a decent free float and then pick a Mid gas 18" or Rifle gas 20-22" with muzzle accessory of your choice, (id probably pick a jp brake or spike dynacomp or BC) or target crown. Assuming your inclined to build your own.

As to barrel, the key is to match the bolt/bcg to the extension and ensure its headspaced right, dont mix DPMS style with armalite style as the bolt/extensions are set up slightly different.

offhand Id say you can get a real nice AR-15 for $1k -$1.5K (build or out of box) or so, a decent 308 for $2k-2.5k (built), and then buy the optics you want.

though actually might be worth picking the optics you want for each then buying the rifle or components you want from there.

I have experience with nightforce scopes on my bolt rifles, and leupolds. I was looking however at the Nikon 223 and Nikon 308 scope / mount set for the AR. I can pick that set up for ~1000. Based on my 100 - 600 yard range I was thinking that should work out very well.

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    Currently looking closely into the Fulton Armory items. Specifically:

FAR-308 Phantom LTE - 18" .308
    FAR-15 Phantom Carbine - 16" .223

It appears that I could get them both for ~3500, leaving quite a bit for glass. The biggest pro I see with these is that FA offers a plethora of uppers that may be helpful later on down the road.

Anyone have any experience with Fulton Armory?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    You could get two of the Stag Model 6, one Model 6 and one Model 3G, or two Model 3G. Accuracy should be excellent. The 1x8 barrels let her shoot 55gr while you can shoot 69-77gr for more reach and oomph. Same inexpensive mags for both. You'll have plenty of money left over for first-rate optics on both.

mikec

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2007
    Off I-83
    I have a Fulton AR that I bought shortly after the Federal AWB died. Decent accuracy, my spikes upper is better however. I took the Fulton upper off and I have a PSA 20" upper that I need to test out. There are better brands out there in the AR game.

BTW, with Fulton, you get shafted twice. You have to pay sales tax and shipping to a FFL for transfer. At one point their office was open to the public, certain hours only, for buying and delivery of rifles. That ended during the great buying frenzy of 2008-2009.

I would take this Spikes AR over the Fulton 5.56 gun.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...ical+5.56/.223+16"+Midlength+Rifle&groupid=11

OSOK1776

Oct 26, 2011
    Glen Burnie
    I have a Fulton AR that I bought shortly after the Federal AWB died. Decent accuracy, my spikes upper is better however. I took the Fulton upper off and I have a PSA 20" upper that I need to test out. There are better brands out there in the AR game.

BTW, with Fulton, you get shafted twice. You have to pay sales tax and shipping to a FFL for transfer. At one point their office was open to the public, certain hours only, for buying and delivery of rifles. That ended during the great buying frenzy of 2008-2009.

I would take this Spikes AR over the Fulton 5.56 gun.

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...ical+5.56/.223+16"+Midlength+Rifle&groupid=11

That's great feedback, I went got to the "checkout" point just to see if there was any tax added (I thought there would be) but I noticed not only was it taxed but they added a $100 handling charge.. Really?

I will take a peek at the spikes line, I used to have one a few years back and had no major issues.

HokieCasey

Aug 7, 2010
    St Mary's
    I have experience with nightforce scopes on my bolt rifles, and leupolds. I was looking however at the Nikon 223 and Nikon 308 scope / mount set for the AR. I can pick that set up for ~1000. Based on my 100 - 600 yard range I was thinking that should work out very well.

I have a Nikon 3-12 M223 on my 20" ar15 and have to say im happy with the glass. But I have not had my hands on a nightforce yet.

Having the M223 base is nice, but you might consider one of the return to zero, qd mounts, such as an ADM, Larue or other instead. As the M223 base does not easily come off, which makes things like using iron sights or optic swaps if you ever want to switch between a scope and rds, more involved.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    As to glass, you absolutely can not go wrong with NightForce. However, you might not have quite enough budgeted for 2 NightForce scopes (~$3k). If you decide to look elsewhere I'd have a look at the Vortex Viper PST line or the offerings from SWFA. Both are excellent glass and less expensive than NightForce.

For the 5.56 a 1-4x or 1-6x is ideal for my use, and for the AR308 a 2.5-10x is my optimal choice. Glass is very personal though so better use what you want rather than what we want.

-Jim

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom