• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    My rifle was a kit, built on a stripped lower, so the upper came fully assembled. If I wanted to build a new upper "from scratch", what parts would I need to scrounge?

barrel + flash hider
    upper receiver
    handguards of some sort
    charging handle
    bolt carrier group parts
    front sight/gas block
    gas tube

Anything else?

Thanks for helping to educate a n00b!

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    It depends on the upper receiver. If you get a stripped one, you'll need all of the crap for the forward assist and the dust cover. I don't recommend doing that. Get a complete upper reciever, the stuff that goes into it is too much trouble to be worth doing yourself.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I remember hearing that when you build your own upper you'll need to make sure it's head spaced correctly and use a go, no go gage. It wasn't something I was going to do. I built my lower and got a Spikes upper from Joebog and they did all that and test fired it. You'll end up needing a gunsmith otherwise.

Last edited:

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    Semi-helpful. Since the OP of the thread basically says don't build your own upper, is that what you're trying to tell me?

It depends on the upper receiver. If you get a stripped one, you'll need all of the crap for the forward assist and the dust cover. I don't recommend doing that. Get a complete upper reciever, the stuff that goes into it is too much trouble to be worth doing yourself.
    OK, this sounds like good advice. Muchas gracias.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    If the upper is stripped you need a dust cover, spring, pin and "C" clip. Then you need the forward assist, spring and roll pin. It takes about 10 minutes to install that stuff. If you can find a assembled upper exactly how you want it and it is cheaper that way get it assembled. If not, buy the parts you want and assemble it yourself. The whole upper stripped will take less than 30 minutes to assemble. The head space is set by the receiver extension attached to the barrel. It is possible to get one that won't head space properly but it is pretty unlikely.

The only potential problem with building one from scratch is most barrels don't come with the gas block installed. If you want a standard front sight the pins need to be drilled. That is not a job for a dewalt cordless. If you want a bolt on gas block this will not be an issue.

The upper is much more fun to build than the lower. Head spacing is rarely an issue, but some barrel vendors will include a head spaced bolt. Having go-field-nogo gauges isn't a bad thing either. I carry a set of .308 family gauges to gun shows!

As for tools, you can never have too many tools. Everybody ought to have at least one vise.

If you want a standard front sight, many barrels come with those pre-installed. I went with a clamp-on.

LineofSight

MSI Member, NRA Member
    Oct 4, 2010
    All OVER
    Semi-helpful. Since the OP of the thread basically says don't build your own upper, is that what you're trying to tell me?

Not necessarily. Just some extra info you might need. It is far easier to get complete upper receiver unless you have the tools to complete a stripped one. You also have local IPs and Chad who can help you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom