• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    I'm looking for an AR15 scope recommendation. I would like to shoot from 10 yards to 600 yards. I think I want something around a 1 to 10 power variable scope. I am currently using a Viper Vortex PST 1-4x. It is great up close but I have problems shooting distant targets at 4 power. I would like to buy a scope under $1000 but that looks improbable. It appears I might need to rethink the 1 power or the higher end power to come in under $2000.

The purpose of use will be shooting 2-Gun, DMR and 3-Gun competitions.

Thanks,
    Eric

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    You can absolutely find a competent scope for this purpose under $1000. Vortex is coming out with a new one this summer, but for the life of me I cant remember what it's called. Ill do some diggin but someone will beat me to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the vortex 1-6 razor hd2 is becoming pretty popular at the 2 and 3 gun matches I do, and I just bought one and like it. very bright view and the dot is also daylight-visible. I got the JM reticle which is just a bdc with lines at 2, 3, 4, 5 and 600, no clutter. it's in the $1400 range. I also have a bushy elite tac 1-6.5 and like it, but prefer the vortex (a little heavier but definitely brighter).

while a 2.5-10 or the like is compelling for more top-end power, you really want a true 1x bottom to be able to hose thru up-close targets. REAL easy to skip over a target or two at higher magnifications.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    Vortex 1-6 then (over 1k)? or 2.5-10(under 1k)? I've never shot 3 gun, but I would think 1 power would be pretty important and not something you want to give up.

I've only shot DMR once, but the 600 yard target was very large, almost a gimmie..thinking 6x on the top would work for that.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    With practice you can use a bottom of 1.5x but I would not go beyond that. Now personally I have no problem hitting steel targets out to 400 yards with a 1-4x scope. But on that vane last year I upped my scope to a 1.5x-6x42 of the same type as my 1-4x24 because I liked the reticle and what it did for me at longer ranges plus how I was able to use the reticle as a red dot at the bottom (Burris MTAC). Plus it turned out the 1.5-6x42 was .5 oz lighter than the 1-4x24. The advantage of the 42mm objective is the image is even brighter than over 75% of the scopes in the $1000 and over range that only have 24mm objectives because it gathers in close to 4x the light. All for around $400. As long as you can use the 1.5x end, or in my case since I shoot a lot of Open division I employ an offset red dot also. I used to use offset open sights when I used the 1-4x but I found that the Burris reticle was actually better than the offset irons so I took them off. Another issue that rears its head on higher power scopes is the eye relief and the exit pupil both of which go down sharply as the power goes up. When the exit pupil gets smaller you have to quickly set your eye position because it can't be off set to the side by even a little or you can't see thru the scope very well. So it is harder to snap the rifle up and get a shot off quickly. The combo of smaller exit pupil and shorter eye relief means the zone of your head position where you can get a good sight in shrinks front to rear. If you have ever shot one of the 1-12x or 1-8x scopes you will see what I mean. There is no free lunch. Even the difference between 1x and 1.5x can be an issue because even with the same reticle the BDC dots and the reticle itself on a 1.5x are 50% larger than they are on a 1x bottom. Bottom line is look thru and try doing what you are going to do with the scope before you buy it or you may not like it. My first 3-gun scope was a 1-6x24 FFP scope. I ended up hating it because FFP is useless in a 1x-? tactical scope and creates its own problems the biggest of which is the lines in the reticle get 6x bigger in thickness at 6x than the are at 1x. So either they start out almost too small to see at 1x so that they are not too thick at 6x or they start out close to normal at 1x and at 6x they are so thick they tend to block the target you are trying to shoot (that was what mine did). And this was a scope that some reviewers liked. All I can say is they must have based their review on looking thru it at the SHOT show and never actually tried to hit anything with it. I like the Vortex Razor HD II 1-6x24 by the way.

In DMR I have a 6.8 SPC II and I have a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x44 on it so don't think I don't like lots of power its just that for 2/3-gun too much power can be a bad thing. The only 2 setting you use are the bottom power and the top, everything in between is a waste. Heck at 400 yards I don't even use match ammo I shoot my regular 5.56 load which is Fed. .223 Value Pack from WM (although it says .223 it is exactly the same as Fed 5.56 Mil spec ammo for velocity and bullet weight). I will only shoot 68-69g match ammo beyond 400 yards if needed but I have yet to shoot a 3-gun event at PNTC that was longer than 394 yards (have not shot in a year due to a physical issue) so I have never used any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davidbanner

Latest threads

Top Bottom