• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tungsten

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2012
    Elkridge, Leftistan
    I am looking for recommendations on a build for the wife. It seems she has taken a hankering to my rifle and I don't plan on sharing so this is the only way to have peace in the family. I figure on getting a light trigger and a very light handguard. Any recommendations? I don't think she will hang a lot of gadgets off of it. Most likely a red dot and that is all.

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Consider a set up like the one below, in case she needs to help "launch" something. ;)

images-1.jpg

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    Honestly, I would pick out something that you want to keep in the long run. In my personal experience most women lose interest in such things fairly quickly.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I built one for my wife. Spike's tactical lower, RRA LPK, Magpul MOE stock and grip and handguards. The upper is a BCA midlength, M-16 BCG, 14.5" pinned barrel, with a Burris FFII on an AR mount. This rifle is light enough for carry, and is pretty darn accurate, and she's got three Magpul PMAGs.

Numidian

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jul 25, 2007
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Just built an upper for Paige.

Daniel Defense 14.5" lightweight profile barrel, pinned BattleComp and a 9" Troy Battlerail Alpha handguard. http://troyind.com/ /rail-systemsac...free-float-rails/troy-alpha-rail®-9″-no-sight

The only thing that might be a problem for your wife would be the handguard, the Battlerail Alpha does have some sharp edges. They also offer the rail in a VTAC model and that doesn't have as many sharp edges. http://troyind.com/ /partners/viking-tactics/troy-vtac-battlerail-alpha-9 On the standard Alpha rail, the ribs running down the sides are a bit sharp at each circle. The VTAC has fewer cutouts and they make a pretty big difference. The only other difference is the VTAC is about .6oz heavier for the 9" version.

Gummy

May 16, 2009
    Eden
    I've got three lowers waiting for funds to be built and when the time comes wifey is going to build one along with me. She already put new stock, sights,gasblock and handguard on the first complete AR she bought. I told her how to do the work and she did a good job on it.

Ooops

Former Navy Bubblehead
    Nov 11, 2010
    Red Lion, PA
    44311f68-aa96-d72d.jpg

Built one for the wife. My thought process was to buy quality parts and keep it light. I ended up going with:

Spikes 16 Mid length complete upper
    CMMG stripped lower
    MOE hand guard
    MOE RVG
    VLTOR IMOD Stock
    BCM gunfighter ch
    Troy Battle axe grip
    Spikes lrpk
    Battlcomp 1.0
    KNS pins
    LMT rear sight

I basically built her what I would want in a no-frills lightweight AR.That meant no rails or optics. Low recoil and relatively low cost. I wanted quality because if she decided that she didn't want it, I wouldn't be stuck with some lame duck DPMS.

Looking back the only thing I would change is I would get a 14.5 and a LW barrel to further the weight reduction.

It was hard to fight the temptation to get cheap parts because it wasn't my gun but, after I thought about it, I decided that if I was going to get an AR it might as well be decent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom