Appropriate semi-auto .22 handgun for students to use in NRA Basic Pistol Course

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    M&P 22. Why? Share characteristics of most modern semi auto pistols. Shape, grip, barrel ,etc. Commom safety location. Not to finicky on ammo. Widely available and cost effective. Reliable and accurate and just plain fun to shoot.
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I love mine, and have taught my daughter and a few friends how to shoot with it
    This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If you can get mags out of state, the M&P 22 can accommodate 12 round mags. Might be nice in a class setting.

Gladly get rid of mine.

terp91

Mar 14, 2013
    Halethorpe
    Another +1 for the SR22, only bulk ammo mine hasn't liked are the Win M-22. Fed blue box, Win 333, and Rem GBs all functioned fine and with acceptable accuracy at 25-50'.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    No issues with mine. Eats everything I've fed it, including M22, Federal bulk, Stingers, Mini Mags.

Waiting on my Sparrow.

I'd rather have another platform .22LR pistol plinking/training. The M&P is fun, but it frustrates me and I see no reason to add new sights, etc. when I can simply move on rather than investing more in it. As a fun gun it wouldn't be a bad gun for most people, but I'm looking for something between target and competition performance. A .22LR duty gun is kinda...blah.

Of course, I should probably keep it and take a class...but I just don't love this gun if you know what I mean.

I'm looking for a threaded Buckmark for when my Spectre II arrives.

SB281 Blaster

Feb 4, 2014
    Queenstown
    M&P 22. Why? Share characteristics of most modern semi auto pistols. Shape, grip, barrel ,etc. Commom safety location. Not to finicky on ammo. Widely available and cost effective. Reliable and accurate and just plain fun to shoot.

This one. Not as accurate as some of the others, but all the other features out weigh it.

britishjohnhall

Well I decided to get the Ruger SR22. It is a fun little gun! Works well, the action seems very tight and well fitted. I had a customer use it to qualify for their HQL the other day.
    The magazine release is a little hard to depress, and you really have to push the magazine in to get it to catch.

Attachments

• 2014-04-22 18.39.23.jpg
      2014-04-22 18.39.23.jpg
      38.6 KB · Views: 117

Paladin

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Feb 23, 2011
    That's what I doo in my classes - semi-auto and revolver. Turns out ost will try the semi but really have fun with the little LCR 22 I have been using.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    That's what I doo in my classes - semi-auto and revolver. Turns out ost will try the semi but really have fun with the little LCR 22 I have been using.

Exactly this. I usually start them with a revolver; nothing is more frustrating to a beginner than to have pistol malfunctions. Revolvers are best. Sr22 great addition. Walther PPQ 22 is nice too. Avoid the mosquito.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Exactly this. I usually start them with a revolver; nothing is more frustrating to a beginner than to have pistol malfunctions. Revolvers are best. Sr22 great addition. Walther PPQ 22 is nice too. Avoid the mosquito.

LOL

I love using the Mosquito in order to demonstrate real life scenarios of FTE and FTF.

I beleive that a student should be given the opportunity to experience common shooting problems and to see how to resolve them.

Talking about them is one thing, experiencing them is another. Actually having to clear a malfunction (even if done as a 'teaching moment' with the rest of the class) is valuable lesson.

Just my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom