• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    IWB appendix = best carry. Lose weight if it's uncomfortable, the problem is you, not the carry position. The holster I use is eminently comfortable sitting, standing, crouching, etc. Easily the best / most concealable carry spot.
    Thanks for the opinion...
    Lets not forget everyone has different lives that require different things. I have job that I sit for long periods at desk and when not at a desk I am in a car. I for one do not want to have something poking, rubbing, etc. But hey just lose weight and its all better....
    :sad20:

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    IWB appendix = best carry. Lose weight if it's uncomfortable, the problem is you, not the carry position. The holster I use is eminently comfortable sitting, standing, crouching, etc. Easily the best / most concealable carry spot.
    Depends on your background, there's plenty of reasons why someone might carry in a different position but the key is to be able to work from that position (whatever it may be) in as many situations as possible. You'd be amazed how many people have never sat in a vehicle with or without a seatbelt on and tried to effectively draw a weapon from that position. I do it all the time with new officers using SIMS and the most common phrase to come out of my mouth is "Congratulations, you're dead because you weren't smart enough to already had the seatbelt off, didn't get the seatbelt off fast enough, never practiced drawing while sitting in a vehicle, etc....

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    For you.

Trekker

Oct 20, 2011
    Harford County
    I have a IWB leather holster that I have tried out for appendix carry. Echoing others, it is fine if standing / walking, but uncomfortably pushes down into the groin if sitting or bending over (tying shoes).

I would preferentially carry at 3-4 o'clock based upon my practice with drawing, if I could work around my clothing selection to be suitably discreet.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    I switched to it a few years ago, and no going back. I did my G27 for awhile in a Kydex holster, Tulster I think. Was comfortable, but kinda fat, changed to a P365, and was a huge improvement. A shorter slide helps, small changes to the holster shape around the muzzle helps. I would grind and polish till most hotspots we're gone, then comfortable all day. Much depends on the pistol, and where you wear your pants, a little higher is generally better. It is more pass/fail when sitting depending on slide length, belt position, and holter shape, if it doesn't press into your leg, it's comfortable, if it does, it's not.

A lot of holsters use a claw, that angles the grip inwards to conceal better, and make the holster more stable. It can be a little bit less comfortable for some as it adds a little bulk inward towards the thigh. My P365/G27 are about the line, they can go either way, smaller pistols feel better without the claw, larger pistols feel better with it. This method is really good for access(especially in a car), draw speed, retention, and concealment, much better than 4:00 in all those aspects. Of course some might find it more or less comfortable compared to 4:00, but you should definitely try it.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    There is no universal best way to carry. It is up to the end user to make that decision.

I pretty much exclusively appendix carry unless it doesn’t work with whatever clothes I am wearing (in which case I may be stuck with off body carry, which I do not like). I have a very long torso, so unless I’m wearing a night gown length shirt or jacket, a lot of the more traditional options provide poor concealment. It’s not as comfortable as 9 o’clock (or 3 o’clock for you godless right handers), but it is faster, prints less, and is more versatile. The risk of shooting yourself is overblown, but it does exist. Don’t be in a hurry to reholster your weapon, or ideally remove the holster to do so.

smokey

2A TEACHER
    Jan 31, 2008
    Yup. I mean... I've got an old leather thumb-break owb holster for my p99 that's comfortable AF and very concealable during the winter. It's hard to think of a way to carry that's more comfortable than that holster with a coat over it at my 4 oclock. The thumb-break isn't even all that much slower than my kydex stuff from the same position. If I'm going hiking, or just doing something like working in the yard/lounging around the house, that's by far my preferred carry.

If I'm going for more concealability and want my full-sized m&p45, I've got a crossbreed style IWB holster that is reasonably comfortable and hides that big bitch pretty well, again at my 4 o'clock. With that, the 45 is easily concealable with a sweatshirt or button-up.

For warmer weather or for going around public more where I want more speed, I'm currently digging the m&p9c at appendix... especially after shaving some lbs from my midsection. I also like the position because I feel like I've got a lot of control over it and can access it easier in different positions. It's easier to keep other people's hands away from your belt buckle area than from your sides and especially from the small of your back.

So this ramble is to say that even for just one person, there can still be multiple "right" ways to carry depending on what's important at that point in time. Every kind of carry has its strengths and weaknesses and within any given carry location/style, specific gear designs can make a huge difference in maximizing strengths and minimizing weaknesses.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I love AIWB and, after some experimenting in the early days, it's pretty much the only way I carry today. Key is good belt (doesn't have to be super stiff), good holster DESIGNED FOR AIWB (I use JM Custom Kydex, but would recommend Keepers Concealment, Phlster, Dark Star Gear, or Tenicor), and the longest gun possible that doesn't poke you (for me, I max out at Glock 19... the extra half inch of Glock 17 is too much).

I favor AIWB because it conceals well, it's fast to access, I can see if it's exposed or printing, I can guard it well with either hand, I can draw it with either hand, I can access it from a wide variety of positions (on my back, seated in a car, etc.). I've driven up to 10 hours with my Glock 19 thus positioned without issue.

I've tested all of the above fairly extensively with real carry (i.e., not around my house), force on force and combatives training, vehicle tactics classes, etc.

zink11

Jul 19, 2022
    Eastern Shore
    I love AIWB and, after some experimenting in the early days, it's pretty much the only way I carry today. Key is good belt (doesn't have to be super stiff), good holster DESIGNED FOR AIWB (I use JM Custom Kydex, but would recommend Keepers Concealment, Phlster, Dark Star Gear, or Tenicor), and the longest gun possible that doesn't poke you (for me, I max out at Glock 19... the extra half inch of Glock 17 is too much).

I favor AIWB because it conceals well, it's fast to access, I can see if it's exposed or printing, I can guard it well with either hand, I can draw it with either hand, I can access it from a wide variety of positions (on my back, seated in a car, etc.). I've driven up to 10 hours with my Glock 19 thus positioned without issue.

I've tested all of the above fairly extensively with real carry (i.e., not around my house), force on force and combatives training, vehicle tactics classes, etc.
    That’s consistent with what I’ve seen. AIWB is the superior position compared to others if you can tolerate it.

19mace92

Aug 2, 2022
    Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
    Interested to see everyone’s opinions and experiences with appendix carry as I know it is a hotly debated subject.

I always carried at 4 o’clock when I was in college in WV but I’ve ordered holsters for both appendix and IWB for when I can finally carry in MD.
    I prefer to carry at the 4-o'clock position with an extra mag at my 8-o'clock, but I am a skinny guy at 6', 160lbs. This really only works for me in the colder months when I am wearing a jacket and don't plan on taking it off.

Typically, I am sitting at a desk all day so appendix carry is my choice with my extra mag moved IWB at 11-o'clock. Anywhere else would print through my shirt.

Knight

Jul 21, 2022
    Maryland
    Waiting on my Wear and Carry to come back and I have been experimenting with several different carry positions. Personally, the 3 and 4 o'clock feel most comfortable but the appendix position seems to provide the quickest response time. Everything considered I plan to go with the 3 and/or 4.

Tower43

USMC - 0311
    Jul 6, 2010
    Lusby, MD
    maybe in your opinion, but I personally don't like it there.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    I do not have a ton of carry experience, but when I have carried pre MD w&c, I used a 3 o'clock IWB with my VP9SK. If I wore button ups or loose fitting T-shirts, I had no issues concealing it, and it was not terribly uncomfortable. The downside was that as a dad, I couldn't carry a backpack without feeling like the straps were basically framing the gun for everyone to see.

I just carried AIWB for the first time this week with a G43x MOS and holosun. I wore shorts and a loose fitting T-shirt without issue and I can honestly say that walking around the store was much more care free/comfortable. Sitting in the car, I just rode the belt a little higher and sat down. There were no issues when I found the sweet spot for my waist pivot point.

My IWB holster for the vP9 is an alien gear, and I don't like it but it works. The g43x was using a raven concealment "holster". It is very easy to fit, but I will ultimately get a more proper holster for long term use ama save the Raven for minimalist carry.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    You can't print with 6 O'Clock carry. Unless you have turtle head.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom