• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    As a few of you have probably noticed I have been looking for a relatively light weight (small frame) camp, tacklebox gun that is both light enough to be unoticeable with 50 to 100rds of extra ammo, not overpowering enough to preclude small game sniping, accurate enough etc, and a bonus would be capable of at least slowing two legged critters down.

Have been looking at the S&W Kitgun but thats a lot of money for something that may not be that accurate according to a few people I trust who have them, was thinking Charter Arms Pathfinder that would allow me to jiggle .22 LR and .22 mag but its still charter arms, I wonder if I have been overlooking the .32 caliber guns?

Anyone have one, what are you looking at? The S&W 632 seems to be the lightest of the lot and Buds has them on closeout.

I have bigger stuff for other purposes.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I have a S&W model 51 in .22 mag. I have found it to be accurate enough, especially for your intended purposes. It's not a target gun. If I were you, I would borrow one from one of your friend's kit guns, and see how well you can shoot it. Guns fit shooters differently. .22 MRF is not cheap, but it is compared to .327 or .32, and you can carry 100 rounds a lot more easily. An older model 48 "K" frame is also an excellent gun in .22 mag. Good luck.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    .32 H&R ammo is super expensive. A friend of mine has one and she loves it but hates the price of ammo for it. (I'll probably try reloading that round).

Also, I'm not sure if it was the black hills ammo she bought or what but that is one of the smokiest rounds I've ever fired.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Thanks guys. Ammo cost isnt a huge factor for this application and I have access to reloading equipmnet.

One thing I am super disappointed in is the apparent accuracy of the .327 handguns. Understanding most of them have relatively short barrels, 2 to 3" groups at 100 yards is a little hard to swallow (and those were bench/rest tests).

Weight is a factor for thi use and I am trying to keep it below 25 ozs unloaded.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I decided to go with something in .22 mag. Its not cheap, but its not expensive and versitile. Also the guns are light which was a prerequisite For this use, should be ok.

WSM

Rugeritis
    Oct 8, 2009
    Lancaster, PA
    Thanks guys. Ammo cost isnt a huge factor for this application and I have access to reloading equipmnet.

One thing I am super disappointed in is the apparent accuracy of the .327 handguns. Understanding most of them have relatively short barrels, 2 to 3" groups at 100 yards is a little hard to swallow (and those were bench/rest tests).

Weight is a factor for thi use and I am trying to keep it below 25 ozs unloaded.

2-3" groups at 100 yards seems pretty reasonable to me, if not outright fantastic lol.

diesel-man

Ultimate Member
    Apr 8, 2009

You are using a crescent wrench for a hammer. 2" to 3" groups @ 100 yards is all that anyone could expect out of any pistol less than an 8" barrel. That isn't to say that a snubnose revolver can't shoot 300 yards, or that a stopped clock isn't correct twice a day...

:party29:

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    My brother is a huge .32 fan (I never got into it).

His love of it is that it's a great small game round, light recoil/ammo, and if you reload it's cheaper to reload since there are less components/lead to use up.

I see his points, but it hasn't pushed me into getting another round in the house.

Ruger has .32's out there also IIRC.

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I decided to go with something in .22 mag. Its not cheap, but its not expensive and versitile. Also the guns are light which was a prerequisite For this use, should be ok.

Which gun did you decide on? Just curious.

brackishfly

Nov 17, 2012
    So. Maryland
    Have a 632 carry comp pro on order with a local FFL. Will be loading/reloading for this caliber (retail ammo might not touch this revo.) IMO the weight of the 632 and power of the .327 fed. mag. makes for a handy backpacker for hiking. Besides I'll never be as accurate as this revolver is, but hey maybe with a little practice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom