• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Just curious if anyone here owns or has owned a Medusa Model 47? If you aren't familiar with them they were an interesting revolver made in the 90s. They were engineered to take any cartridge in the 9mm/.357 family (can shoot something like 25 different cartridge types out of the specially designed cylinders).

They never made very many of them and if you can find one, they are pricey... like high-end Colt Python pricey. Just wanted to know if anyone here had direct experience with one of these.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    The gentleman who designed it used to post on here. I think I accidently offended him by repeating a email that I got from a company that tried to reintroduce it explaining why they didnt. Apparently there was a debate over the metallurgy quality in the original vs the proposed remake. Ive seen one in person and its an incredibly well made revolver on visual inspection. Awesome engineering.

Frankly given the scarcity and cost, a real medusa is probably more a collectible. Last one I saw went for well north of $3k. There is one on Arms list for $4850 http://www.armslist.com/posts/33740...100-calibers-with-no-moon-clips-only-500-made Very interesting gun, wish I had bought one when they were being made and wish they would bring it back.

Last edited:

outrider58

Loves Red Balloons
    MDS Supporter
    :P

Attachments

• phyllis-diller.jpg
      phyllis-diller.jpg
      117.5 KB · Views: 225

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    9mm and .45?

No it had an innovative system that allowed it to shoot almost the entire 9mm and .38 family. Rimmed, rimless. Lots of unusual and obsolete calibers. But it hit the big ones 9mm, .380, .38, .357, .38 super .38 auto etc. 20 years ago before 9mm became dominant and there were lots of other types of oddball ammo on the local gun store shelf as well as surplus calibers like 9mm largo this would have been handy.

Last edited:

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Key to how it works with rimless rounds is the fancy ejector. Too bad a gun manufacturer doesn't do it now. Would be great to have a 9mm/.357 double-action revolver that doesn't need moon clips.

DSBartender

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 12, 2016
    Waldorf
    Interesting firearm, should you have a hobo-sack of ammo.

Pro: Between this and a S&W governor you can fire a bunch of “found” handgun ammo.

Con: Reliability and accuracy are spotty depending on what you have available.

All and all an interesting gun to have in a collection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Pureblood

Latest threads

Top Bottom