• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m40sniper

Jul 12, 2012
    Lexington Park
    Looking for any info on the accuracy potential and shooting characteristcs or peculuarities of the Savage 110BA in 338L Mag? Have the weapon and a Nightforce 5.5x22 scope mounted and ready to go, just waiting on the range to open to bench sight it in before going into the field for some "real" shooting. Have scored a few boxes of Prvi Partisan 338 Lapua on the cheap at 2.50 per round so I would like to get on paper as quick as possible.

BigRick

Hooligan #15
    Aug 7, 2012
    Southern Maryland
    I have the 110 hs precision. I love it. Recoil is like my .308. Shoots sub 1@100. I always have 2 in the same hole then a flier kills the group. I think the factory base might be loose. Make sure you check everything to make sure all the bolts and screws are tight. Other then that you should have some real fun when you shoot it.

m40sniper

Jul 12, 2012
    Lexington Park
    Thanks for the reply. Glad to hear your sub moa results. I have access to a TRG 42 that shoots fantastic and hoping that my 110BA will come close (can't have my son out shooting his 'ole man). I have heard from friends with the newer and different Savage models that (2 of 3) have had issue with scope alingment problems to the point of having trouble getting on paper windage wise at 50yds. They have tried several scopes and mounts and they are now to the point of thinking about sending the rifle back to Savage for eval.
    Will get the torque driver out and check everything as you suggested just to be sure on mine!

m40sniper

Jul 12, 2012
    Lexington Park
    Also what ammo do you shoot? Any preferences? I plan to relaod but the brass is almost as expensive as loaded ammo so I fughred what the heck, might aas well pay a few cents more per round for someone elses trouble.

JamesBailey

Form Factor'ed!
    Jan 28, 2010
    Arlington VA
    338 Lapua and many of the big cartridges are notoriously tough to load for consistent muzzle velocity. This is absolutely critical because differences in 20-30fps at the muzzle translate into massive inaccuracies at 1000+ yds, right where these big cartridges are supposed to shine. Honestly, you might be better served by a 300 WinMag shooting a 230gr Berger or similar super heavy .30cal. projectile, or a 7 RemMag if you don't need bullet mass. Best of luck in .338cal.

m40sniper

Jul 12, 2012
    Lexington Park
    Thanks for the info and best wishes. I only wish I could shoot 1000yds! Been shooting and reloading both the 300WM and 7mm Rem Mag plus every other "long/rangetarget round" for over 25yrs with a max range (limited time at that) of 500-600yds. Used to be a "oneholer" fanatic and varmit hunter.
    Most shooting done now is ocassionally on a farm when I can and at a local 100yd club range, and for now even that is closed. So other than my fascination of something bigger/faster I don't really have any needs just dreams and toys.

carpoor

Dec 17, 2011
    I have the 338fcp and love it. It has less felt recoil than my 7mm and usually have my groups touching every time. Just a pain to take it some where to shoot since I am not a member to any shooting clubs. I took it to Delmarvia shooting range to stretch it out.

m40sniper

Jul 12, 2012
    Lexington Park
    Yeah I'm really anxious to get out there and put a few down range, even if only at a 100yds just to get a feel for the particular setup. Waiting for deer season to end so the ranges will open up for shooting, all thought I just saw a thread elswhere that Sanners won't be open....again:(. But I might just have to make a special trip somewhere to try stretching it out once I get me and it up and running.
    Glad to hear more positive on the new Savage line. I have and older FSAK in 7mm Mag I used to deer hunt the VA mountains with 10yrs ago and really like it so I was suprised and concerned to read some of the negatives lately on the newer guns after dropping so much $$ on the 110BA.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Shive62

Latest threads

Top Bottom