• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sheat36

May 24, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    I am just about to pull the trigger on buying a Savage 110 BA chambered in .338 Lapua. Does anyone have one? How do you like it? Except for cost of ammo, any shortcomings? Thanks
    Steve

Last edited:

mranaya

Task Force Sunny, 2009
    Jun 19, 2011
    Hanover MD
    sheat36,
    I am looking at one of these now too. But it looks like everyone has been pretty quiet so far. I have read nothing but good things. Of course, it seems that warnings and concerns always seem to appear after I've made a purchase. I am also looking at Barrett 99 or 95 BMG. Surprisingly, I seem to be able to find .50 cal ammo for less than I have been able to find 338 Lapua, when in stock. So that will be a consideration. Anyway, I'd be interested to learn what your research turns up and will keep an eye on this post.

carpoor

Dec 17, 2011
    I have the 110fcp in 338 and its a blast to shoot. gets expensive.Reloading is great to cut the cost on that 5 bucks a round. You also get alot of attention at the range when you shoot.

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    I had the 110bask in 308 , shot great but in my opinion was over built for a 308 . That chassis stock just is not worth the extra money And it jacks the scope up too high off the bore with that giant rail . I sold it and now have a 110 FCP in .338 lapua with the HS precision stock with a Murphy precision mount , It is lighter then the BA and recoil is not much more then any of my heavy barrel .308s . It is a great rifle my only complaint with Savage is the factory mounts on this line of rifles suck .

If you get the BA I would dump that rail and get a Murphy Precision mount . It still looks cool with out that 3lbs of aluminum on top of it . But in the end just get the 110 FCP .

Sitting behind the rifle at the range is great , sitting beside it sucks :D

rj1974

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2011
    Edgemere , md.
    Here is what it looks like without the craptastic rail . With that giant rail on there you are jacking your scope way up off the bore the rail is over a inch thick then add high rings to it so your front objective clears the rail and your center is 2" + over your bore .

Attachments

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      95.4 KB · Views: 161

sheat36

May 24, 2012
    Westminster, MD
    Hey guys,,,excellent info from all of you. I too saw one locally, that prompted the original question. Lots of research later (and a PLEASE to the wifey) I pulled the trigger two days ago. Should be here well before the Holidays. Agree that the word budget and this rifle/ammo should never be used in the same thought, let alone the same sentence. I really like the clean lines on rj1974's picture, shall study that more. Overall, I am pleased with everything I have read and really thank you all for transferring your wisdom. I'll let you know shortly how it all works out!!
    Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom