• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BLS27

May 1, 2015
    Mt. Airy
    I'm looking for some info from members at peacemaker.

I live in Mt. Airy and I'm looking to shoot out to 600 yards or longer. I'm outside the radius of Quantico, and Mayberry has a very long wait list. Peacemaker has a lot of nice options but I wanted to get a few questions answered from members before I take the drive up for a tour.

How often can you shoot the longer ranges (600+)? Once a month, twice a month, or does it vary?

Can you post paper targets, or are they steel only?

Can you shoot prone?

Thanks!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the 600 is open sunday's (but with matches going on i'm guessing some sunday's the 600 is closed). pretty sure prone is the only option at 600.

their 1000 is the same range, just further back. i think it's wednesdays or one day during the week. they have benches and i'd be surprised if they don't also allow prone.

email them at info@peacemakernational.com and sure they will answer all your questions. they have range hours and info at www.peacemakernational.com.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    Peacemakers has a Frontier range that has steel targets from 400 to 1200 yards. They use the range for Long Range Competitions (shooting prone), DMR competitions and Tactical competitions. The range is open one Friday a month at a cost for non-members and members. Highly recommended for a long range shooter!!

They have another range where you can place paper targets at 50 and 100 yards. That same range has steel targets at 200 and 300 yards.

They have one more range where they have automatic scoring targets at 1000 and 600 yards. To shoot at these targets, you need to qualify your gun by shooting an inch group at 100 yards. I think the 1000 range is open one day during the week and the 600 is open on Sunday.

I live in Lisbon just East of Mt. Airy and it takes me about one hour and fifteen minutes to drive to PNTC early in the morning. More like one and a half hours during heaver traffic times. Its a nice drive though. The 1000/600 auto scoring targets are worth the drive.

If you want to head up to PNTC sometime, let me know. I'll have you as a guest. Unfortunately, you can't shoot your gun at 600/1000 range unless you are a member (at least I don't think).

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    Peacemakers has a Frontier range that has steel targets from 400 to 1200 yards. They use the range for Long Range Competitions (shooting prone), DMR competitions and Tactical competitions. The range is open one Friday a month at a cost for non-members and members. Highly recommended for a long range shooter!!

They have another range where you can place paper targets at 50 and 100 yards. That same range has steel targets at 200 and 300 yards.

They have one more range where they have automatic scoring targets at 1000 and 600 yards. To shoot at these targets, you need to qualify your gun by shooting an inch group at 100 yards. I think the 1000 range is open one day during the week and the 600 is open on Sunday.

The 50-300 range, the Colt Independence range, is open to the public for a $20 access fee.

The 1000yd range I've never seen open and I believe you must do a LOT more than a one inch group at 100yds to the tune of an additional 1MOA group at 300 and provide dope chart. I forget exactly, but it was extensive.

justeric

Apr 6, 2010
    The 50-300 range, the Colt Independence range, is open to the public for a $20 access fee.

The 1000yd range I've never seen open and I believe you must do a LOT more than a one inch group at 100yds to the tune of an additional 1MOA group at 300 and provide dope chart. I forget exactly, but it was extensive.

You have to shoot a 5 round group under an inch at the 100 yard range. An RSO has to watch and then initial the group. You submit paperwork that includes some test questions and a dope chart. PNTC management will review the information an then give approval.

The auto scoring targets PNTC uses are really expensive. They have sensors on the sides that are used for scoring. If you hit one of those by accident it costs PNTC a big stack of dollars to fix. That is why PNTC is careful who they let shoot at the targets.

OrbitalEllipses

Ultimate Member
    Jul 18, 2013
    DPR of MoCo
    You have to shoot a 5 round group under an inch at the 100 yard range. An RSO has to watch and then initial the group. You submit paperwork that includes some test questions and a dope chart. PNTC management will review the information an then give approval.

The auto scoring targets PNTC uses are really expensive. They have sensors on the sides that are used for scoring. If you hit one of those by accident it costs PNTC a big stack of dollars to fix. That is why PNTC is careful who they let shoot at the targets.

Gotcha. I don't particularly want to shoot auto-scoring targets out to 1000yd, but something between 300yd-700yd open semi-frequently would be nice.

BLS27

May 1, 2015
    Mt. Airy
    Thank you all for the info!

Justeric: Im actually going up this Saturday to take a tour and possibly join. Thanks for the invite, though!

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    just fyi there will be a 3 gun match there Saturday so the patriot 600/1000 will most likely be closed. you can sit on the benches back at the firing line but won't be able to go and check out the actual target systems or the like. on Sunday the 600 'should' be open but I'd call and verify. possibly after the 3g match is over they'd let you have non-shooting access to the patriot range but again call and check.

BLS27

May 1, 2015
    Mt. Airy
    Are matches just on Saturdays? Would I have access to the AR/pistol range on Sunday, as well? Are there paper targets on the pistol/AR or steel?

Will the frontier range be open during the 3 gun? Is qualification needed for this as well?

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the 50-300 yd public rifle range is open daily as far as i know, definitely i have been there on a sunday here and there. you can put up paper targets at 50 and 100 and they only want you to hit their steel at 200 and 300. i had wanted to put up some targets at 200 and 300 to see my groups but was told no. no qual needed for this range. there is a small pistol shooting area right beside this.

even during events such as uspsa and 2 and 3 gun there generally are a few bays up top still available for members to do some shooting- pistol, shottie and/or rifle but the bays are 50 yds max some shorter.

idpa, steel challenge, uspsa, 2 and 3 gun are generally saturdays at peacemaker. but they do have some 2 and 3 day matches a few weekends a year.

BLS27

May 1, 2015
    Mt. Airy
    So I got to shoot and take a tour of Peacemaker this past weekend, after getting some great advice from a member on these boards.

I have to say I was very impressed. We walked into the center to check in and they were just clearing out the shooters for the 3 gun match going on that day. We were greeted right away and told about the facility and what it has to offer. We were given non-member wrist bands and told when we were done shooting at the public range to feel free to drive around and take a tour of the different ranges.

At the public range we were greeted by two RSO's and informed of the safety procedures. We asked a few more questions about the facilities and they were more than happy to tell us all about Peacemaker. Being my first time shooting steel, it was a blast hitting the 200 and 300 yard gongs. We then moved to the pistol range and then drove to the other ranges to get an idea.

We headed down the road that leads to the Patriot range. We got a good look at the 1,000 yards targets and the firing lines at 1000 and 600 yards. We then went and watched the 3 gun match. We were approached by another RSO at the match who was again, very friendly and explained how everything works and told us we were more than welcome to watch the match.

It was an awesome day! Myself and two of my friends both decided to join.

If you live close enough to peacemaker, I recommend taking a ride up to check it out!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom