• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    On vacation in Garrett County and plan to hunt Mt Nebo tomorrow. Scouted a bit today in the wind and rain and think I'll try the powerlines in the southwest part of the WMA. Anybody else hunt this WMA? I normally hunt in eastern MD so grateful for any techniques or success stories...this will be my first hunt in western MD.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    This may be too late but, I used to hunt Garrett State Forest at Harrington Manor years ago. Lots of deer but hard to find bucks to shoot. The deer out there tend to bed mid-hill or just over the leeward sides of ridges. Watch out for the Fudds.

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Thanks Outrider...your words could not have been more wise. Had to find an alternate spot in the dark and bumped a deer that was bedded in thick stuff on the slope. Once I finally got the climber up the tree it was right at legal shooting hours...that's when Fudd showed up. I had climbed the hill to move up from the trail I walked in on for the purpose of good visibility and clear shooting for about 200 yds. Fudd came in on the same trail and stood right in the middle of my planned shooting lane. I used my grunt call to get his attention at which point he looked right at me, then turned his back to me and stood there for an hour. Was pissed to say the least. Now I'm in another spot farther west under the same power lines...hopefully no Fudd visits this afternoon...

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    :lol2:Sorry to hear that. Usually the further away from the road, the better you are. Good hunting sir.:thumbsup:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I had to laugh when I opened this thread and saw the Fudd reference.
    Most people I know up this way consider the hunters who travel up this way from the Baltimore Washington corridor fudds.:lol2:
    Sorry I just couldn't help but post this.:D

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Afternoon went smooth but no deer. Saw a group of turkeys but not a single deer. Saw one other hunter but think he saw me first and veered off in a different direction. Hopefully he wasn't cursing me as some eastern MD Fudd :) All in all I enjoyed a change of scenery from hunting the flatlands near the Chesapeake but any day hunting beats being at work!

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Afternoon went smooth but no deer. Saw a group of turkeys but not a single deer. Saw one other hunter but think he saw me first and veered off in a different direction. Hopefully he wasn't cursing me as some eastern MD Fudd :) All in all I enjoyed a change of scenery from hunting the flatlands near the Chesapeake but any day hunting beats being at work!

W. Md. is a beautiful place to hunt. I miss it.:sad20:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom