• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    NRA should be doing there best to block all of this, not helping craft it.
    NRA has become continuously softer on gun laws and at times complicit in crafting them.

And BTW, I am FOR a ten year sunset on juvi records.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    NRA should be doing there best to block all of this, not helping craft it.

Rightly or wrongly...the NRA in the past has helped craft watered down bills that would have had enough support to pass if left in the original truly onerous form. We can argue the wisdom of some of that but I guess the NRA figures that was the best outcome at the time. To me...the flaw in that is that the anti-gun people will come for the rest as soon as possible.

Sometimes it's about reducing the hurt other than accepting even more at one time. Either way...our rights get chipped away bit by bit.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    I'll be the dissenting voice, I don't think access to JV records should sunset. If we're going to bother with background checks at all, we should make sure that the information contained therein is comprehensive. I'm also OK saying that those JV records are not automatically disqualifying if the applicant has maintained a clean record for a reasonable period of time as an adult.

On another related note, if the Dems make a move toward amnesty, how do we perform background checks on people with little to no history in this country? Do (former) illegals simply get a pass?

Mr Pew

( う-´)づ︻╦̵̵̿╤── \(˚☐˚”)/
    Jun 18, 2022
    Rockville
    It should be violent or gun related crime from juveniles that matters. Not any crime.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    The problem is states like MD do crazy BS like taking a misdemeanor with a 30 max back in 1980 and reclassifying the max to 18 months or 5 years (or whatever the hell it was they did a few years ago).

Then they use that to disqualify you.

paperwork351

no error code for stupid
    Mar 7, 2008
    Gaithersburg
    Wasn't there a law that violent juveniles were denied firearm purchases until the age of 30? Was it struck down or just talked about? Was that over 20 years ago?

paperwork351

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Rightly or wrongly...the NRA in the past has helped craft watered down bills that would have had enough support to pass if left in the original truly onerous form. We can argue the wisdom of some of that but I guess the NRA figures that was the best outcome at the time. To me...the flaw in that is that the anti-gun people will come for the rest as soon as possible.

Sometimes it's about reducing the hurt other than accepting even more at one time. Either way...our rights get chipped away bit by bit.
    if the nra did what we wanted and succeeded, their reason to exist would cease.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Well, they could go back to primarily doing safety training and hosting events, and holding ground against future legal encroachments, but that wouldn't buy Wayne very many suits, would it?

Gotta be able to send out those scary mailers in order to pry the wallets open.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Well, they could go back to primarily doing safety training and hosting events, and holding ground against future legal encroachments, but that wouldn't buy Wayne very many suits, would it?

Gotta be able to send out those scary mailers in order to pry the wallets open.
    exactly. They are more the boogeyman than the left. Or part of the same

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    I believe in school hardening, no D or R will bring forth a bill for just that, the Dems would bring one but load up on the pork so they can say Rs shot down public safety while not mentioning the funding for another "bridge to no where". Mental health has been gutted, so funding into it is good. I don't think there is a viable objective way that mental health can be put into a background check that can 't be corrupted to where everyone that has stressful week at work would be disqualified though.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008

Short of introducing Authoritarian Libertarianism, where the government summarily executes anyone who supports gun control, there will always be a need for organizations to advocate for gun rights.

I believe that by focusing on school hardening and mental health, it's going to be very hard for the far left in the House to accept this bill when it comes time to reconcile it.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    Short of introducing Authoritarian Libertarianism, where the government summarily executes anyone who supports gun control, there will always be a need for organizations to advocate for gun rights.

I believe that by focusing on school hardening and mental health, it's going to be very hard for the far left in the House to accept this bill when it comes time to reconcile it.
    I can only hope.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Eliminating the "Gun-Free" exclusion zones would probably make schools safer, but school safety is not the real issue that drives this legislation, is it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom