Any recommendations for a roofing and gutter repair contractor/handyman that will do work near Rockville?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    First job:

At my parent's property, they have a one level addition which has skylights. One of the skylights is leaking (I think around the edge of the skylights). I hired a handyman (the handyman my old neighbor uses and recommends). and he said he would fix it. All he did was add more nails to secure the skylight to the roof and then paint the edges with roofing tar. He did this for both skylights. I paid the guy and the next rain (yesterday/Saturday), the leak is still there. There was no written contract so I'm screwed there. I need someone who knows what they are doing to actually fix it.

Second job:
    I had the roof and gutters replaced in 2016. Since then, there seems to be damage with the wood fascia where the gutter is attached. There is a large gap where the wood fascia is coming off of the side of the house. This has caused bird nests to accumulate so I hear birds there all the time. I need that wood piece to be either replaced and/or reattached so that the gap is closed.

If you know anyone who can do this type of work, I'd appreciate you sharing their contact information and any experiences or recommendations.

Thanks.

May 21, 2017
    Gaithersburg, MD
    Try https://www.angi.com/
    It sends out quote requests to vendors. I'd used the Best Pick Reports booklet that comes in the mail, contacted 4 painting companies for external house painting and got quotes that ranged from $10K to $18K. Sent out a request via angi.com and the 1st quote was around $6K, which I'm probably gonna pull the trigger on.

Parry

Nov 22, 2020
    On my way out of Maryland
    I can give you a list of people not to hire. That’s been my luck.
    That’s been my luck too. I’ve got a long list of who to avoid too and am willing to share offline if anyone is interested. Sharing stories with each other will hopefully prevent further bad experiences.

I bet MLM is on someone’s list to avoid. They are the ones who cause most of the current issues I need repaired.

chuck

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 1, 2016
    Anne Arundel
    I had Columbia Roofing do a good amount of work on my house, and I'm happy with it all. They did the roof, skylights, facia repairs, soffits, gutters, flashing and windows.

bratgirllcp

Ultimate Member
    Jan 13, 2013
    Grasonville MD
    do diligent research, fingers crossed for you sorry Spicer Bros isn't closer to you b/c they are amazing people with quality product also check for military discount if possible

DanGuy48

Ultimate Member
    First job:

At my parent's property, they have a one level addition which has skylights. One of the skylights is leaking (I think around the edge of the skylights). I hired a handyman (the handyman my old neighbor uses and recommends). and he said he would fix it. All he did was add more nails to secure the skylight to the roof and then paint the edges with roofing tar. He did this for both skylights. I paid the guy and the next rain (yesterday/Saturday), the leak is still there. There was no written contract so I'm screwed there. I need someone who knows what they are doing to actually fix it.

Second job:
    I had the roof and gutters replaced in 2016. Since then, there seems to be damage with the wood fascia where the gutter is attached. There is a large gap where the wood fascia is coming off of the side of the house. This has caused bird nests to accumulate so I hear birds there all the time. I need that wood piece to be either replaced and/or reattached so that the gap is closed.

If you know anyone who can do this type of work, I'd appreciate you sharing their contact information and any experiences or recommendations.

Thanks.
    Not sure where you are but I had a great experience with PJ’s Roofing. They’re based here in Frederick. A number of my neighbors and one of my old coworkers used them as well and all have been pleased with the work. I heard some months back that they were pretty backed up on work, don’t know if that’s still true.

sclag22

Jan 9, 2013
    Fred Co.
    I come from a long line of roofers. My family's business did a ton of custom metal work as well. My dad got burned out and tired of being a roofer so ultimately the business wound down. It's been since I was in highschool, so almost 20 years, but I never heard good things about jacks or pj's so I'm glad others have had luck.

If I'm reading things correctly, sounds like you've got bad flashing on the window and maybe a bad drip edge on the roof. Unless the wood underneath is shot (on the roof, not the fascia), shouldn't be too much of a repair. Of course that's just my guess, I don't know for certain.

Try giving Mike Brown a call. (Michael E. Brown Roofing). He worked with my dad and has been doing this for quite some time. If you do decide to call him, PM and I'll tell you who recommended you to him.

CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Scates Roofing

301-831-0081

Small company The Owner or his son comes out to do the estimate
    Like minded people
    Carey Scates did our roof 20+ years ago. We had resent storm damage and we will call on Scates Corp. Again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom