Any opinions on SIMMONS LRF600 Range Finder?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    So, I have $100 to blow in bonus buy dollars at Gander Mountain. I really would like a range finder, but holy cow I didn't know they averaged around $250+!?

So I stumbled upon this one for $130+free shipping:

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=430985

and it seems to get decent reviews. I've never had one, so ignorance is bliss if it doesn't have all the bells and whistles of a $300 unit - I'd rather spend that kinda coin on ammo! Either way, it'd be nice to finally know the distances of the blocks at Lake Needwood's range...

Anybody have any experience on this unit, or opinions on Simmons in general?

Also, what exactly am I missing out on if I don't add $100-$150 to my bonus dollars and get one of the schmancy ones???

Thanks in advance! --JB

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    What are you using it for? Rifle hunting? archery hunting? target shooting?

I bought a really cheap Wildgame innovations one because I bowhunt primarily. I range the trees and remember distances as soon as i get in the stand so I dont need a fancy one. If I were to go elk hunting in the mountains where you may be shooting at crazy elevations the nice rangefinders have angle compensation which really helps for that type of hunting but does nothing for bowhunting.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    I'm pretty new to the shooting sports and serious archery in general, so for now, it'll be for just sighting in archery or rifle targets.

Eventually though, it'll be for Turkey, White Tail, or maybe Wild Boar if I can find a reasonably close hunt for those - boar's probably furthest away target out of the 3 live ones, no? - as in, most likely in need to use a rifle or slug gun vs a bow to take one down.

Great idea on lazing trees in lieu of the actual targets - I would think that animals aren't always reflective enough for range finders.

1obxnut

Aug 21, 2013
    Silver Spring, MoCo
    I have the LRF600 for 3 yrs now, and still working as intended (hunt out of ground blind)..If you hunt out of a tree, I suggest getting one with the angle compensation.. check out midwayusa, they have the LRF600 for $108 (free ship, 1yr warranty) or LRF600 w/ tilt for $180 (free ship, lifetime warranty??). They also have others you might be interested in..shop around.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    I have one, kinda the same reasoning. I check different distances from stand and remember for bow hunting. Seems accurate enough and verified in my neighborhood. I wouldn't trust it so much past 100 yds on a deer size target, but good for archery.

JBinDC

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2012
    MoCo - Silver Spring
    Thanks for he feedback y'all. Think I'll pull the trigger on buying one, as it'll mostly be for archery or ultimately ground blind turkey hunting. Thanks!

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    If you're hunting from an elevated location you may want a model with the TILT function. I think Simmons makes the lrf600 with and without the TILT feature.

Good Luck!
    Jim Smith

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I got one without the TILT feature. Got it for $60 at dicks last black friday.

It is alright for shooting distances when the sun is out, but I've found it does not work well over 300 yards or during dawn/dusk.

IMO, I wouldn't recommend it for over $80 (which is what they are selling for on Amazon)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom