• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    I just put my C&R app in the mail this morning... tried to call and get an appt to sit down with city chief (to be a nice guy) but never got a call back, so I said screw it. A second stamp takes care of my notification to chief of local LE.

Curious, though, if anyone else on here is a city resident - did you get any kickback from ATF or City Police? Is there anything special I need to know about? I read through city ordinances and nothing caught my eye that's out of the ordinary.

Thanks guys/gals

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    There is nothing the Chief LEO has to do. Sending him a copy is just a bureaucratic formality. Probably many or most LEOs shred the forms. There is also no mechanism for the ATF to confirm that the form was sent to the CLEO, especially since there is widespread uncertainty over who the CLEO is. Some send it to the MSP. some to the County Sheriff, and some to a town or city agency.

I sent mine to the sheriff, along with a brief cover letter that said, "Enclosed please find your copy of ATF Form yadda yadda... This requires no action on your part."

I honestly believe the requirement arises from adapting the application from those for other types of FFLs. All other FFLs involve business activity, manufacturing, selling firearms, etc. Once something gets included in a bureaucratic form, it tends to keep reappearing in later versions and descendants of the original form.

You sent the copy to the guy you consider your CLEO. That's all that's required of anyone.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    I don't see way they would give you grief. Your notification to the chief is more of a courtesy just to inform them no action is taken on their part.
    Thats how I understand it but anyway "What are you buying first?
    Congratulations on sending it in.:thumbsup:

Chaunsey

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2009
    brandywine MD
    there is no reason to go out of your way, fill out the forms, send them out, you're finished, done deal.

your CLEO has no say on the matter.

the whole system of notifying your CLEO, is sort of a relic from the pre internet days, back in those days the federal government probably had no way to know if you were trustworthy and didnt have the staff to sit down and call around to find out about each person, so the best way to make sure people should be legally allowed to get a FFL was to notify the sherrif or whatever, and if he knew you to be a criminal he could call up the ATF.

today however we have a NICS system and the FBI can find out just as much as the local CLEO knows within mere minutes using a database.

not that its a big deal to talk to your cleo, but its not required and id rather keep a low profile, plus theres no reason to waste their time.

the funny thing is most CLEOs really dont have any idea about this, and some people have actually received their CLEO form back in the mail stamped DENIED. which was just funny cause they get no so in the matter.

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    @Smokedog - not sure... Truthfully, I'm buying parts to build an evil black rifle. Getting the lower to Hendershots to begin the FFL transfer today. Maybe a Mosin? I shot one a few years ago and liked the boom.

@yellowsled - I know I didnt have to, just wanted to be extra courteous.

Well, here's to hoping for a fancy letter from ATF saying "go buy guns" !!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom