• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    - In addition to the HSc and three other vest pistols, I also got another Pieper Bayard from the same collection. This time, it's a Pieper Bayard in 6.35/.25ACP.
    - I got this at the same time as the HSc, but the right side grip panel was missing. Luckily, Triple K makes the appropriate replacement grip panels and almost everything on and in the frame of the gun is the same regardless of the caliber.
    - I ordered the panels and in the meantime, started stripping the gun down to get it cleaned up and inspected. Unfortunately, when stripping it down, I realized that the hammer was riding the slide as it went into battery. Nobody likes a full-auto vest pistol.
    - I bought an e-book out of Belgium for $7.99 that does a full detail and history on these, so I used it to do a complete strip and when I removed the trigger and related parts, realized that the sear had shattered into three separate pieces. Hence the hammer riding the slide home. The out-of-battery safety prevented the hammer from dropping when the slide was removed, but once it was on, the sear was shot, and so the hammer would drop as soon as it was in battery.
    - I checked everywhere. Numrich, Jack First, BRP, Sarco, Hog Island, and even Naturabuy.fr for a replacement sear, but to no avail.
    - Then on a whim, I checked eBay. Our lord and savior John Moses Browning himself must have been smiling down on me that day because someone had just posted a bunch of Bayard parts including a sear. I grabbed it at the "Buy it now" price and didn't look back.
    - I also found I needed two grip screws. Found some suitable though modern replacements online and ordered those while I was at it.

Today, after much grousing and smashed fingers, I got her all back together. The sear is holding and she fires like she should. I don't think it would have gone nearly as smoothly as it did without H&L Publishing's e-book on the pistol. It was worth every penny.

What's particularly interesting about these pistols is the fact that they seemed to compete with Browning's designs pretty well without resorting to blatant patent theft and infringement. At a time when everyone started copying the various Colt and FN models that Browning designed for pocket and vest pistols (especially the Spanish cottage industry in Eibar), Peiper designed something significantly different in overall design. The Bayard series of pistols has a very low bore axis for the time. The recoil and buffer springs are in the top of the slide while the barrel is bored into the frame where you would expect to see a guide rod. This isn't some pressed-in job like later blowback pistols, it's literally a part of the frame of the gun. Disassembly is also interesting with no lever or cross-pin to deal with. You simply lift upward and backward on the front sight which doubles as the recoils spring guide rod bushing and takedown "lever." They have a sear-blocking manual safety as well as a battery safety to prevent out-of-battery firing, and as I said before, almost all of the parts in the frame will work for ANY of the three calibers they built these in. .25, .32, and .380.

The .25ACP version is easily distinguished by the elongated curve of the trigger guard and lightening cuts on the frame and slide.

Neat little pistol. So without further adieu, here are the pictures of the restored Pieper Bayard in 6.35mm Browning.

First up is the offending sear and its replacement. Q-Tip for scale.

20231116_151335.jpg
    From the left side, you can see the "Bayard" emblem clearly along with the manufacturer's name
    20231117_154039.jpg
    A closeup of the emblem and the "Anciens Etablissements Pieper Herstal-Belgium" roll mark.
    20231117_154046.jpg

Cal 6.35 Model Depose
    20231117_154051.jpg 20231117_154058.jpg

Belgian proofing marks
    20231117_154104.jpg 20231117_154107.jpg 20231117_154144.jpg 20231117_154150.jpg

Note the backward "barrel" above the grip panel. That's not the barrel, that's the buffer spring assembly The barrel is the squared
    off part where you'd expect to see a guide-rod.
    20231117_154226.jpg

Last edited:

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Here you can see the slide to the rear. The barrel is the part sticking out in the front.
    20231117_154248.jpg

Here is the view from the front with the clearly visible bore. I don't think you get a much lower bore axis on most pistols even today.
    20231117_154321.jpg

As with most vest and pocket pistols, sights are an afterthought, though they're better than many on this model.
    20231117_154349.jpg 20231117_154356.jpg

An there you have it!

Jul 1, 2012
    Nice writeup on an interesting pistol!
    I like the "almost but not quite" Rampant Colt logo on the left side LOL.
    H&L publishing's e-books are an invaluable resource esp for the cost.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I like the "almost but not quite" Rampant Colt logo on the left side LOL.
    Henri Pieper circa 1907:
    "Quick, we need something out of Belgian folklore with a horse for our logo!"
    "Uh, how about Renaud de Montauban?"
    "Who?"
    "He had this horse that could carry four people into battle, the horse's name is Bayard."
    "Done and done! Now make it look cool with a knight on its back, but don't infringe on any copyright!!!!"

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    nope - Chevalier Bayard was a famous Knight - known as the last flower of Chivalry - He died charging cannon

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Again, happy to see you found what you needed right away. Beats taking a risk and then having to wait years to find parts made of unobtanium. The Bayard turned out nice and was probably worth what you paid for the entire lot. Glad that it all worked out in the end. And nice write-up! Thanks for sharing with everyone, letting 'em know how it's done.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    So, while searching for my sear for the above pistol, I also saw this come up on eBay for pretty cheap. Came out of Hamburg, Germany, so it took a bit of time to get here (nearly 3 weeks) but I thought it was pretty cool and would go well as a conversation piece along with both the .32 and .25 Bayards I picked up:

20231204_182757.jpg
    20231204_182814.jpg
    20231204_182802.jpg

It's not often you find 103 year old stock certificates from foreign manufacturers to go with your pistols.

Gee, I wonder why nobody claimed those dividend coupons...... lol

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom