• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    So my cousin and I are planning on going to Bang Steel this spring/summer in preparation for a November elk hunt in Wyoming. I have a gun/scope question or two.

First, which gun to bring. I have a Savage 11/111 Hunter XP in 30-06 with the stock Nikon scope and I just ordered a Ruger American in .308 with no glass.

My plan was to bring the Savage and get new glass for her (and put the Nikon glass on the Ruger). But reviewers are getting smaller groups with the Ruger than I could ever get out of the Savage.

If this plan sounds correct, any suggestions on some decent glass in the $300 (MAYBE $400) range for hitting out to 1000 yards? I was thinking a 4-16x or more magnification but possibly a fixed 10x. I know that isn't a big budget for a 1000 yard gun...

And, recommendations for some rings in the $50 range?

Whatever setup I bring with me, I will also bring out West hunting if that changes your opinions.

I am also open to other recommended upgrades on either gun. Both have floated barrels, adjustable (decent) triggers, etc.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    For the money, the Falcon Menace 4x16-44 FFP (first focal plane) has really impressed me so far. Glass is far better than what I expected in the price range. Has enough internal elevation to get you where you want to go, a 20-MOA base would be a nice addition though - just in case.

Only big downside is the reticle is easy to lose at lower magnification - depending on background. Low light, it's the same deal.

Rings, for less than $50? Warne.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Also, what type of ammo are you shooting in the Savage?

Not saying either is better (Ruger or Savage), but I'd be surprised if the Savage wasn't capable of MOA or better with proper ammunition.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    I've shot a few soft points and some M2 ball (which gives me 1MOA in my Garand). I plan on working up a load with my cousin before we start. Bought my powder, saved my brass, now just need to decide on bullets.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    With a better optic, either rifle should do plenty fine. Factory supplied scopes never really live up to the capability of the rifle, it seems.

I'd go with the one your most comfortable with.

ziondogg

Feb 1, 2012
    SOMD
    Why do you think you need to get out to 1000 yds to hunt out west? I know Wyoming is a little bit more open but I lived and hunted in Colorado and your shot will most likely be under 400yds if not 300.

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    Why do you think you need to get out to 1000 yds to hunt out west? I know Wyoming is a little bit more open but I lived and hunted in Colorado and your shot will most likely be under 400yds if not 300.

I completely agree!

I don't foresee myself taking a shot beyond 350 or so yards, especially with a 30-06. My cousin is taking a 7mm Mag so he might reach out farther. I'm not saying the 30-06 isn't capable of longer kills, I just doubt I'll feel comfortable taking a longer shot.

1000 yards is the goal of the Bang Steel class so that was somewhat arbitrary requirement I made.

Vrablic

Mar 27, 2014
    Long range Savage

If you plan on shooting farther then the average elk say 300-400 max usually unless your a pro shooter you should def get a scope with mil dots if not a decent scope that will work nicely would be a leupold varix-2 heavy duplex recticle with one piece scope mounts. Talley solid mounts that screw directly to the gun are really nice unless your gun is drilled and tapped off center which is usually not the case. Savage barrels are usually really rough so if you use jb bore paste with a one piece Teflon coated cleaning rod until your arms about to fall off you will most likely shrink your groups in half. Definitely get your trigger adjusted on the lighter side. Good Luck

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011

This is good to hear and is the same advice given to us by the outfitter we plan to use on a possible Wyoming hunt this year. We plan on taking a 300 Win Mag and a 30-06.

300-400 yards is about as far as I'd want to shoot game for my own personal ethical reasons anyway. I've taken plenty of game at up to 200yds but at that distance [300-400yds] I'd also want to be basically "bench rested". I also won't pass up a shot at 50 yards either. :D

Last edited:

tomandjerry00

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2013
    If you plan on shooting farther then the average elk say 300-400 max usually unless your a pro shooter you should def get a scope with mil dots if not a decent scope that will work nicely would be a leupold varix-2 heavy duplex recticle with one piece scope mounts. Talley solid mounts that screw directly to the gun are really nice unless your gun is drilled and tapped off center which is usually not the case. Savage barrels are usually really rough so if you use jb bore paste with a one piece Teflon coated cleaning rod until your arms about to fall off you will most likely shrink your groups in half. Definitely get your trigger adjusted on the lighter side. Good Luck

Some great advice, thanks!

What differentiates all of the Leupold scopes? Is it simply quality of glass, reticle, and turrets or am I missing something? ie- why go varix-1 vs 2 vs 3?

Jmurman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2007
    Perry Hall
    I've shot a few soft points and some M2 ball (which gives me 1MOA in my Garand). I plan on working up a load with my cousin before we start. Bought my powder, saved my brass, now just need to decide on bullets.

Thanks!

my remington 700 in .06 loves the Sierra 165 great Game King. I'm less than 1"moa

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    my remington 700 in .06 loves the Sierra 165 great Game King. I'm less than 1"moa

Glad to hear...haven't gotten my R700 back from the gunsmith yet, but will be doing load development on it for sure. I bought the 180gr game kings though.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    Some great advice, thanks!

What differentiates all of the Leupold scopes? Is it simply quality of glass, reticle, and turrets or am I missing something? ie- why go varix-1 vs 2 vs 3?

Don't take this the wrong way, but check Leupold's site for the differences. http://www.leupold.com/hunting-shooting/scopes/
    From there you can delve into the differences of each. After all the research I did on scopes, it was still helpful to go to Cabela's, BP, and a few LGS to hold the scope and view through them. I say Cabela's especially because the variety was huge and they had mounted animals in a semi-dark store to better simulate the outdoors.
    Thanks for all the help. I've decided I will be buying a new scope for my Savage and bringing her along.
    It is tough isn't it? I ended up taking 3 guns on a trip to Maine with me because I couldn't make up my mind. It is a different kind of hunting than out west, but I took a .35 lever action because it was light and can cut through the dense brush. I took my 6920 for fox and coyote and in case I hunted on a small open field, and I took a .270 for everything else or in case I wasn't going to be hiking all day. Never took the .270 out of the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    bara4033

Latest threads

Top Bottom