• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    It's not defense of self I am concerned with it is defense of property.

I trade my time for money (I have a job). This money is used to buy objects which enhance my life and make it more enjoyable.

Stealing my property is in effect stealing a part of my life.

Using lethal force to defend property under non life-threatening situations would be excessive but even if you used non lethal force to stop someone stealing your property I fear that you could get in trouble in this state...

If you honestly believe that an intruder in an occupied home is just there to steal your property you may want to read the police press releases more often. Takeover robberies are an increasing problem in many States.

Hit and Run

Ultimate Member
    Oct 15, 2010
    Prince Frederick
    Shallnotinfringe you have it right the others are suffering from Maryland battered gun owners syndrome. They should seek treatment.

If you doubt your legal ability to defend yourself in your own home you should read up on the Maryland Castle laws including the proabition from civil suit if the person hurt was committing a crime at the time of the injury.

Ditto....Maryland has a Castle Doctrine

Yeti Poacher

Dec 11, 2012
    Hunt Valley
    If you honestly believe that an intruder in an occupied home is just there to steal your property you may want to read the police press releases more often. Takeover robberies are an increasing problem in many States.

That's the problem. What the homeowner believes is not always enough...

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    As I was once told by an LEO, and I quote

"if they're dead on the floor, there is only one side of the story"

as far as I am concerened, if they break into my house, they are after my family and my firearms and will be dealt with accordingly. There have been more than one home invasion in my general area, me and my gf both carry around the house. Entering my home forcibly will not have a good ending.

Goateggs

Jan 27, 2013
    Annapolis
    If an intruder breaks into my house and is still standing by the time I confront him, then he's already neutralized an 85 lb German Shepherd, demonstrated the willingness to harm or kill, and is by definition an imminent threat to life. He'll be dealt with accordingly. If on the other hand he's on the ground and not struggling too much while Lili gives him a throat massage, I'll let someone else in the house dial 911 while we keep an eye on him.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Only if the suspect was armed and/or threatening him. The home owner would get in trouble otherwise right?

I would argue that a stranger who broke into my home is a threat in and of itself but some fools would disagree...

If someone calmly walks into your house, unplugs your 46" LED TV and walks out would you get in trouble for shooting them?

You have let them come too far if they are unplugging your TV. They would be dead here before they could make it out of the foyer. God help them if they try to come through another door.

You have no duty to retreat in your own home. Once they open the door uninvited, I would say they are in for a mess of trouble unless they are coming into the house with one heck of a really good attitude and leaving right when one of us yells at them to get the heck out. I don't want to kill a simple moron that does not know better than to walk into a house looking for the homeowner, but I have no qualms about shooting somebody that comes into my house that I perceive to be the slightest bit of a threat to my family.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    It's not defense of self I am concerned with it is defense of property.

I trade my time for money (I have a job). This money is used to buy objects which enhance my life and make it more enjoyable.

Stealing my property is in effect stealing a part of my life.

Using lethal force to defend property under non life-threatening situations would be excessive but even if you used non lethal force to stop someone stealing your property I fear that you could get in trouble in this state...

Here is the thing, if the person has already taken the TV and is outside the house already, you are SOL as far as shooting him. Once he is out of your house, you cannot shoot him. You cannot shoot him if he is stealing your car in your driveway. Don't know the answer as far as your garage is concerned.

Now, after he steals your TV and puts it in his van, how do you feel when he comes back toward the house with a crowbar in hand?

My plan is simple. We have areas to retreat to in the house. Areas that are heavily fortified and wherein there is only a single way in. Once my family members are behind me and we are in one of those areas, the bad guys can take all our possessions. Things can be replaced. What I will not do is get into a gun battle with the bad guys just because I am armed and they are in my house. If they force the issue because they 1) want more than just property or 2) are just plain stupid/greedy and want everything from every room of the house, then I will not stop until every round is spent or I am dead, and my wife feels the same way. Our kids are not old enough to defend themselves right now, so it is up to us to stop any threat. However, it is also up to us to avoid threats when possible. Nobody ever knows who is going to win a gun fight, so best to avoid them when possible.

We have homeowner's insurance, so the TV and other stuff can be replaced. Don't know how comfortable I would feel though sitting there watching the guy take the TV out of the room I am sitting in.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    Here is the thing, if the person has already taken the TV and is outside the house already, you are SOL as far as shooting him. Once he is out of your house, you cannot shoot him. You cannot shoot him if he is stealing your car in your driveway. Don't know the answer as far as your garage is concerned.

Now, after he steals your TV and puts it in his van, how do you feel when he comes back toward the house with a crowbar in hand?

My plan is simple. We have areas to retreat to in the house. Areas that are heavily fortified and wherein there is only a single way in. Once my family members are behind me and we are in one of those areas, the bad guys can take all our possessions. Things can be replaced. What I will not do is get into a gun battle with the bad guys just because I am armed and they are in my house. If they force the issue because they 1) want more than just property or 2) are just plain stupid/greedy and want everything from every room of the house, then I will not stop until every round is spent or I am dead, and my wife feels the same way. Our kids are not old enough to defend themselves right now, so it is up to us to stop any threat. However, it is also up to us to avoid threats when possible. Nobody ever knows who is going to win a gun fight, so best to avoid them when possible.

We have homeowner's insurance, so the TV and other stuff can be replaced. Don't know how comfortable I would feel though sitting there watching the guy take the TV out of the room I am sitting in.

As far as I am concerned, if they enter my house without being invited, they are a threat, not that is not to say I will not give them a chance to leave. They will be told to leave my house at gunpoint, if they advance after this warning, then all bets are off. I have no desire to start a gunfight, but I will not allow an intruder to enter my home and do nothing because my homeowners insurance will cover what he takes.

Think about this, someone comes into your house and steals from you while you are thre and you do nothing, do you not think you will be considered an easy target for the next time they want stuff? on the other hand if they enter your house and find themselves staring down the barrel of something, your address will quickly get crossed off their list.

just my opinion

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    I would much rather go buy a new TV rather than spend $$$ on an attorney defending me of a shooting. Plus the emotional stress of a trial and the possibility of jail time - no thanks.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    As far as I am concerned, if they enter my house without being invited, they are a threat, not that is not to say I will not give them a chance to leave. They will be told to leave my house at gunpoint, if they advance after this warning, then all bets are off. I have no desire to start a gunfight, but I will not allow an intruder to enter my home and do nothing because my homeowners insurance will cover what he takes.

Think about this, someone comes into your house and steals from you while you are thre and you do nothing, do you not think you will be considered an easy target for the next time they want stuff? on the other hand if they enter your house and find themselves staring down the barrel of something, your address will quickly get crossed off their list.

just my opinion

You assume you will have the jump on the intruder, as most wannabe home defenders assume. Think about this, you hear a noise in your house, you enter the room where the noise is coming from, you are staring down the barrel of a gun and in slow motion watching the bullet fired from it hit you in the head. All the while thinking, I hope they don't rape and murder my wife, 6 year old daughter, and 1 year old daughter as I lie dead here on the floor.

Why is it that most home defense wannabes always think they are going to be the only one armed, or if the perp is armed, the only one that knows how to actually use the gun.

As I said, my plan is to wait somewhere in the house for them, and then let them have it once they come into view. There will be NO warning. I prefer the element of surprise. As I said, if they are not pigs, come in, take some stuff, and leave, so be it. Hope the cops get to the house before they leave.

Pro 2nd Amendment people always think they will win an encounter in their own home.

Anti 2nd Amendment people always think people will lose an encounter in their own home or that the invader is bring daisies and chocolates.

Me, I believe in the phrases "Caution is the better part of valor" and "haste makes waste". Got burned by both the other day on gunbroker purchase. It was a cheap lesson/reminder.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    You assume you will have the jump on the intruder, as most wannabe home defenders assume. Think about this, you hear a noise in your house, you enter the room where the noise is coming from, you are staring down the barrel of a gun and in slow motion watching the bullet fired from it hit you in the head. All the while thinking, I hope they don't rape and murder my wife, 6 year old daughter, and 1 year old daughter as I lie dead here on the floor.

Why is it that most home defense wannabes always think they are going to be the only one armed, or if the perp is armed, the only one that knows how to actually use the gun.

As I said, my plan is to wait somewhere in the house for them, and then let them have it once they come into view. There will be NO warning. I prefer the element of surprise. As I said, if they are not pigs, come in, take some stuff, and leave, so be it. Hope the cops get to the house before they leave.

Pro 2nd Amendment people always think they will win an encounter in their own home.

Anti 2nd Amendment people always think people will lose an encounter in their own home or that the invader is bring daisies and chocolates.

Me, I believe in the phrases "Caution is the better part of valor" and "haste makes waste". Got burned by both the other day on gunbroker purchase. It was a cheap lesson/reminder.

We can agree to disagree then, but don't assume I am a wannabe, you have not idea what kind if training I have taken. I gave my opinion, if you don't like it that is your decision. I did not personally attack your tactics or beliefs as you just attacked my abilities and beliefs. I merely stated my opinion on the subject and did not use and derogatory statements about your ability.

Noises from other parts of my home require a different response than if I am in my living room or kitchen and someone enters my home through one of those doors as is the case in most home invasions. I will secure my family, which depending on where they are in relation to the noise, may require me to transverse my home ( because of the design) so I may not have the luxury of being able to get everyone behind me at the outset of the situation. I would assume every intruder is armed until I prove otherwise.

Dont get me wrong, there is a difference to someone invading my home with intent, and a drunk who got confused and went to the wrong house. I am not going to blast away at anyone who enters my house, each situation requires a different response, as well as a degree of discretion, I am not looking to be in a confrontation, but will defend myself and my family as needed

I never assume anything, let alone the outcome of a confrontation, armed or unarmed, all I can do is be as prepared as I can be if a confrontation occurs.

I have even had an instructor come to my home to work with me and my family on the tactics we need to use in different situations as well as other training I have taken.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, isnt that what this forum is about?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    We can agree to disagree then, but don't assume I am a wannabe, you have not idea what kind if training I have taken. I gave my opinion, if you don't like it that is your decision. I did not personally attack your tactics or beliefs as you just attacked my abilities and beliefs. I merely stated my opinion on the subject and did not use and derogatory statements about your ability.

Noises from other parts of my home require a different response than if I am in my living room or kitchen and someone enters my home through one of those doors as is the case in most home invasions. I will secure my family, which depending on where they are in relation to the noise, may require me to transverse my home ( because of the design) so I may not have the luxury of being able to get everyone behind me at the outset of the situation. I would assume every intruder is armed until I prove otherwise.

Dont get me wrong, there is a difference to someone invading my home with intent, and a drunk who got confused and went to the wrong house. I am not going to blast away at anyone who enters my house, each situation requires a different response, as well as a degree of discretion, I am not looking to be in a confrontation, but will defend myself and my family as needed

I never assume anything, let alone the outcome of a confrontation, armed or unarmed, all I can do is be as prepared as I can be if a confrontation occurs.

I have even had an instructor come to my home to work with me and my family on the tactics we need to use in different situations as well as other training I have taken.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, isnt that what this forum is about?

Never said you weren't entitled to your opinion, or that anybody else wasn't. Just expressing mine. I have no desire to kill anybody and hope it never comes to that. Hope the alarm and dog will keep people away, but if they are really that persistent I hope the guns will end the issue. Still not looking for a confrontation.

Thing is, if I did come face to face with a drunk in my house that has just kicked down my door, I have no idea what I would do. It is somewhat tough to figure out the person's intent, and I have no desire to get hurt or killed while trying to figure that out. My house looks like nobody else's in the neighborhood. Driveway isn't even close either. So, they would have no excuse of picking the wrong house.

One of my favorite sayings is that we all like to think we would step in front of a bullet to save a loved one, but until the bullet is fired and we have to make that decision, none of us knows what we would do.

Me, I go through home defense scenarios in my head all the time, but if it should ever unfold I am willing to bet that it will not unfold in the manner I have thought through.

My motto "Avoid confrontation when possible, but give them hell if confrontation cannot be avoided".

Ultimately, I think we are a lot more similar with our opinions than you think.

Yep, if I have 2 kids downstairs and 1 in the bedrooms, you can bet I am getting to a gun and engaging whatever bad guy just came in. Now, if everybody is in their bedrooms, the bad guy(s) can have carte blanche until they get to that hallway. Then, they get every bullet from the gun and any mags I might have in my possession.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    Never said you weren't entitled to your opinion, or that anybody else wasn't. Just expressing mine. I have no desire to kill anybody and hope it never comes to that. Hope the alarm and dog will keep people away, but if they are really that persistent I hope the guns will end the issue. Still not looking for a confrontation.

Thing is, if I did come face to face with a drunk in my house that has just kicked down my door, I have no idea what I would do. It is somewhat tough to figure out the person's intent, and I have no desire to get hurt or killed while trying to figure that out. My house looks like nobody else's in the neighborhood. Driveway isn't even close either. So, they would have no excuse of picking the wrong house.

One of my favorite sayings is that we all like to think we would step in front of a bullet to save a loved one, but until the bullet is fired and we have to make that decision, none of us knows what we would do.

Me, I go through home defense scenarios in my head all the time, but if it should ever unfold I am willing to bet that it will not unfold in the manner I have thought through.

My motto "Avoid confrontation when possible, but give them hell if confrontation cannot be avoided".

Ultimately, I think we are a lot more similar with our opinions than you think.

Yep, if I have 2 kids downstairs and 1 in the bedrooms, you can bet I am getting to a gun and engaging whatever bad guy just came in. Now, if everybody is in their bedrooms, the bad guy(s) can have carte blanche until they get to that hallway. Then, they get every bullet from the gun and any mags I might have in my possession.

As they say, "no plan survives first contact with the enemy" I have no illusions about that, but I believe in being as prepared as I can. While I am not paranoid, i am a believer of carrying my handgun when I am at home and my fiance does the same. I never did this until the string of home invasions in my area, I felt that I would not be in a postion to protect my family if i kept the gun in the safe.

Every situation is different, and I hope that neither of us ever have to come to terms with these situations.

:thumbsup:

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    As they say, "no plan survives first contact with the enemy" I have no illusions about that, but I believe in being as prepared as I can. While I am not paranoid, i am a believer of carrying my handgun when I am at home and my fiance does the same. I never did this until the string of home invasions in my area, I felt that I would not be in a postion to protect my family if i kept the gun in the safe.

Every situation is different, and I hope that neither of us ever have to come to terms with these situations.

:thumbsup:

I don't carry while I am in the house. Just have gun vaults in different places in the house and a couple large vaults in different places. As they say, use the pistol to fight your way to the long gun. I know the rooms I spend the majority of my time in, and they are the ones with gun vaults in them. Just need a decent number of handguns and gun vaults.

Don't really want to carry a locked and loaded gun on me with the kids and dog around. Then, I go outside in the yard, forget about having it on, and then I might be looking at another headache.

Again, everybody has there own preferences. My brothers used to have the guns just laying around the house. One still does. The other has a 4 month old, so he is changing up how he keeps his guns. Me, I am working on a safe room. We all have different levels of preparedness and I begrudge nobody their own comfort zone.

Edit to add: I have about 4 years of firewood on hand and we heat almost 100% from firewood. If I could squeeze 10 years on the driveway, I would. However, I have plans to open up more space for firewood storage in the immediate future.

Next comes the solar panels and possibly an electricity producing windmill. Gonna run out of stuff to do after that. lol

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    The action of an intruder, regardless of how fast or slow he enters to walk out with your tv, is still faster than your reaction. They got the one up on you in your abode. Do what you need to do. And well, if someone has your 60 inch plasma and is casually walking out of your house when you first encounter them, well then they deserve that booty. Clap for them and ask if they need help putting it in their van, because you are a home and self defense loser. Sorry :(

flyingblind

Oct 3, 2012
    a home invasion is a surprise attack, when was the last time we won a surprise attack? Simply you cant win a surprise attack. In a home invasion dont confront, defend. For me its the half wall in front of the stairs on the second Story, go ahead and take my 6 year old flat panel, and fish tank, but if you start up the stairs after my verbal warning, my life will be being threatened and I will ensure my and my families survival.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    a home invasion is a surprise attack, when was the last time we won a surprise attack? Simply you cant win a surprise attack. In a home invasion dont confront, defend. For me its the half wall in front of the stairs on the second Story, go ahead and take my 6 year old flat panel, and fish tank, but if you start up the stairs after my verbal warning, my life will be being threatened and I will ensure my and my families survival.

Yep, that was my tactic when we were living in our townhouse, sans the verbal warning. I really have no desire to give up what little element of surprise I might have.

Now, we are in a ranch so things are a little different. As soon as there is any line of sight contact, that is when the safety comes off.

Big difference is that I doubt they are carrying my 75 gallon and 55 gallon fish tanks out the door, or the TV for that matter since those 36" CRT screens weigh a ton. Not looking forward to getting rid of that TV and we have two of them.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    A person who breaks into an occupied home anticipates an encounter with the homeowner.
    That threat needs to be eliminated ASAP.

Bad guys break into unoccupied homes to steal stuff.
    They break into occupied homes to hurt people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom