• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • platoonDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2011
    SouthOfBalto
    When & why did the Harley dealer in Annapolis close. Did a network search and it stated “Permanently Closed”

Always thought it was a gold mine, was shocked seeing the HD sign gone. Purchased my first UltraGlide through them.

PIT BULL

Mar 5, 2013
    I thought it looked like it was permanently closed yesterday morning when I passed by it on Rt.50 early yesterday morning. Even though I live closer to All American HD, I preferred dealing with Annapolis HD.

Hi-Torque

Jan 16, 2013
    Finksburg
    They announced the closure last December. It was the least profitable dealership for Rommel's. I think its been gone for about 2 months now. It wasn't run well at the end.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Overall US motorcycle sales are in the toilet. Sales have been plummeting since 2006. Apparently, millennials have near zero interest in motorcycles.
    I see some lean years for motorcycle sales and a lot of downsizing.
    I however will be riding as much as time and the weather allow this year if for no other reason to save on fuel.

Busa

Jul 22, 2012
    So. MD
    Overall US motorcycle sales are in the toilet. Sales have been plummeting since 2006. Apparently, millennials have near zero interest in motorcycles.

This is absolutely true, I stopped riding and sold my bikes 7 years ago. I saw the same trend happening and the roads were getting unsafe by other drivers ignorance.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Harley has made so many mistakes over the years. A huge one in my mind was making all their dealerships into HUGE t-shirt shops with some bikes in them. Made their overhead crazy high.

There was a new one in Elkridge also IIRC that didn't last long at all. It went out after only a few years.

The smaller, more independent shops could deal with the downturns better.

babalou

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 12, 2013
    Glenelg
    hmm

Harley has made so many mistakes over the years. A huge one in my mind was making all their dealerships into HUGE t-shirt shops with some bikes in them. Made their overhead crazy high.

There was a new one in Elkridge also IIRC that didn't last long at all. It went out after only a few years.

Orange County Choppers approves.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia

The Harley dealer had been in Elkridge for quite some time but it was in two different locations. It was only in that new building for probably 5-7 years.

BADSHOT

Still Learning
    Dec 27, 2021
    How weird county
    From what I understand the lady who owned Elkridge h-d signed off to allow another dealer within a certain distance from them and thats when old glory opened up.Soon after that she closed up. It was a nice dealer too.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    Orange County Choppers approves.

Oddly enough, I have been to Orange County also. Same deal but 100 times worse at OC (and they are gone, see a pattern HD?)

Groves HD in Winchester, VA was a GREAT long time HD shop with a great rep. Small, but well known and respected. Well, corporate didn't like them being a small shop and so forced them into a MEGA thing. They may make it but it is not what people knew Groves to be.

I had a Harley and will buy another bike when I get out of here. I'll look at Harleys but not very hard as I am tired, high prices for what one gets, the hype and the ton of import parts on them.

soco

May 21, 2012
    people in annapolis are unfortunately the "wrong side of the aisle" for harleys.

I don't ride a harley (I go foreign) and personally don't like them, but I wish I was surrounded by more people that do. I get along with them better.

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE
    The Indian/Triumph dealer in Annapolis (Chesapeake Cycles) is doing just fine around the corner.

Rommel had the Annapolis building/property sold before they even closed down.

flhspete

Feb 20, 2021
    We here in usa have had tough economic times due to our potus over the last 20 years. obama and now biden have created not good situations. the first materialistic thing to go under difficult economic times / dictatorships is entertainment type things. motorcycles are recreational items. I've been riding my harley for 29 years. someone mentioned the danger factor. That's been a thing forever. Gas savings is awesome. Elkridge closed bc HD allowed another dealership to open within like 20 miles of them. so she closed. for the dedicated riders, they'll always own a bike. Hd has survived for a long time. They may lose dealerships but the product will stay.

Sigfan77

My dog loves his Sig, too
    Feb 8, 2017
    Fredneck, PRM
    I would love to agree with all of you that think that Old Glory was the reason that Elkridge Harley went out of business. And that may well be a factor, but not the main cause.

I bought my Harley from Elkridge many years ago and was treated poorly throughout the sale of the bike. The sales guy that I was saddled with (no pun intended) openly expressed his disdain for "people like me" who had the money to buy the bike that HE wanted. And yes, he actually said that to me. He never asked me about my riding experience, he just asked insulting questions of me. I should have walked but I did get a good deal (and I still have the bike).

Flash-forward a couple of years and I had to set an appointment to have my bike serviced. It was two months out. So, I dutifully waited. When I brought my bike in, expecting it to be done the next day, I kept getting the "It is on the lift" story, which alleviates the responsibility for timeliness in their eyes. After several days, I was told that it would be ready "after the weekend," which would have made it approximately 10 days since I had brought it in. I had a group (charity) ride scheduled that I didn't want to miss so, when I showed up unannounced to pick up my bike, I saw it sitting in the exact place where it had been wheeled the week before. Untouched. Not 'On the lift,' and not "next in line," as I had been told several times. I took my bike to an H-D authorized servicer in Odenton and had it the next day. I talked to a friend of mine and he told me he knew a lot of people at Elkridge and "could have gotten my bike in right away." I told him that was the problem: even if you buy a bike there, unless you're a member of the HOG chapter or just 'hang' at the dealership, you can't get anything done, even when you have an appointment.

Later the very same thing happened at Old Glory. I found out later that many of those who lost their jobs when Elkridge Harley closed, migrated over to Old Glory. Sure seemed true, the service was every bit as bad there.

Without a doubt the best Harley dealership I've dealt with in MD has been H-D of Frederick. They have gone out of their way to help me and others I know to get work done, even when it was something that came up without notice. They even brought a situation to my attention which saved me a lot of money (with better parts than stock!). They have earned my business.

That being said, had Indian been owned by Polaris when I bought my Harley, I would likely have gone in that direction. The original Chief with the Power Plus 100 engine is still one of the sexiest bikes around. I can do without the fringe, though.

Reloader

Ultimate Member
    Oct 23, 2007
    Arnold, MD
    After my good friend waited 3 months for a bike he ordered at Elkridge, a mutual friend caught wind of what was going on and made a call to the dealer. My good friend was doing paperwork on his new bike the next day. I never stepped foot in that dealer again. I wondered how long he would have waited otherwise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom