Anderson manufacturing AR-15, what's it worth?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • m.ammer69

Jul 3, 2013
    So I'm looking at possibly picking up this AR-15 from a friend of mine. He's looking to make some room in his safe and offered it to me for 500, which perked my interest at first,but later I started thinking about it and I'm like "how good could a $500 AR-15 be?"
    Sadly I don't have any pictures of it or I would post it up but I do have some details. It's an Anderson Manufacturing AM-15, chambered in 7.62X39, 16in barrel, from what he told me it's pretty standard from the factory, he's only put about 200rds threw it, so it's almost brand new still, he says it's a pretty sweet shooter. I'm use to seeing 900+ on most decent AR-15'S in the shops in Md.,so 500 kinda made me stop and think.
    So I'm curious if anyone has any experience or knowledge on these. Are they any good, are they prone to breaking or jamming? What are they really worth, at 500 is he cutting me a deal or is he trying to rip me off?

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    With an Anderson lower and 7.62x39 upper I would still inquire if it was a home build or bought whole. Not a huge deal ether way but it’d be good to know. I’d also want a 223/556 unless you already have one.

Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I have a 7.62x39 AR and it is fun. In this day and age, 500 is ok I guess, Not great, not horrible. I don't think he's trying to rip you off at that price. Being a 7.62x39 AR there are some things you may need to tweak. If you plan to run cheap steel case ammo, you may need a stronger hammer spring, or/and an enhanced firing pin to ignite the harder Berdan primers. Magazines can also be iffy. I like the 20rd mags. I have C Products and ASC +10rd magazines. The C Products 10rd mags were problematic for me, but they appear to have a .223 follower, and not a 7.62x39 follower. Not sure if things have changed. The extractors also are under more stress, and if you can, I would upgrade it. The bolt face, where the lugs are, also have a thinner rim, so can be prone to breakage. I bought a Young Manufacturing bolt.

I'm not talking about all this stuff will be an issue right away, but I chose to buy spare parts just in case. Not super worrisome, just some things to be aware of. It's an AR though, so you can customize it, buy parts for, throw a .223/5.56 upper on, whatever.

Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    If it's not a scalloped-type feed ramp extension she's going to have feeding problems, unless it's tuned correctly for a certain type of ammo.
    I've never handled an Anderson 7.62x39 barrel so I don't know the extensions they use.
    $500 is what the basic ones were going for pre-2020 MSRP.
    LVJhbXAuanBn

Bisleyfan44

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2008
    Wicomico
    Can't help with the rifle as I have no experience with them. For me 7.62x39 would kill the deal. Not saying they don't work or can't work. They can and do. I see the AR as a 5.56 firearm or maybe some derivative chambering 7.62 belongs in AK and SKS. But that is just me and my bias. What about ammo? Do you already shoot 7.62? How hard is it to come by these days? Russian ammo imports being cut off and all. I don't know. If you're just wanting an AR and you don't already have one, go 5.56. If you're intrigued by the 7.62, go for it. Should be able to get your money back out of it if you don't like it.

Sigwolf9

May 4, 2022
    Maryland
    So I'm looking at possibly picking up this AR-15 from a friend of mine. He's looking to make some room in his safe and offered it to me for 500, which perked my interest at first,but later I started thinking about it and I'm like "how good could a $500 AR-15 be?"
    Sadly I don't have any pictures of it or I would post it up but I do have some details. It's an Anderson Manufacturing AM-15, chambered in 7.62X39, 16in barrel, from what he told me it's pretty standard from the factory, he's only put about 200rds threw it, so it's almost brand new still, he says it's a pretty sweet shooter. I'm use to seeing 900+ on most decent AR-15'S in the shops in Md.,so 500 kinda made me stop and think.
    So I'm curious if anyone has any experience or knowledge on these. Are they any good, are they prone to breaking or jamming? What are they really worth, at 500 is he cutting me a deal or is he trying to rip me off?
    Save your money, when it comes to buying a AR quality is paramount. If you buy a low cost AR you only then continue to buy upgrades. In the long run it actually cost more.
    Go get yourself a LMRC high quality AR made here in MD (no I am not affiliated in any way) what you get is a extremely high quality AR with only the the upgrades theses that would be even on high end AR’s (scope, hand-stop, light, etc). In the end you will spend less.

cmsharp27

May 2, 2022
    Baltimore, MD
    Sounds about right. Someone is selling build kits for the AM15 in 556 on Gunbroker at $450 plus shipping. I was considering it but ended up going with a Ruger 556 at just a smidge over that. 500 cash without any shipping or dealer fees may be worth it for just starting out. You’ll likely end up sinking more money into it for more quality parts.

Bohemian

Nov 7, 2009
    After yesterday's and other recent events you better buy it before someone else does, cause anything with a magazine, handgun or long gun is fixing to get banned by executive fiat by the ATF at Biden's request and followed up Congress...
    Doing Nothing About Stolen Elections Has Catastrophic Consequences.
    20201110_110834.jpg

Feb 3, 2022
    Dunkirk, MD
    You'd better off going with AERO, CMMG, etc.... I have had so many fit and finish issues with Anderson, Delton, ATI, and other budget receivers that I won't work on them any more. The difference in cost is quickly made up by the amount of work needed to get them to fit correctly. Another thing to look at is 6061 alloy vs. 7075 alloy, majority of budget lowers use 6061 instead of the 7075 to keep cost down. Just some food for thought, everyone has their own opinions and this was mine, but good luck hopefully this info is helpful.

Feb 3, 2022
    Dunkirk, MD
    You'd better off going with AERO, CMMG, etc.... I have had so many fit and finish issues with Anderson, Delton, ATI, and other budget receivers that I won't work on them any more. The difference in cost is quickly made up by the amount of work needed to get them to fit correctly. Another thing to look at is 6061 alloy vs. 7075 alloy, majority of budget lowers use 6061 instead of the 7075 to keep cost down. Just some food for thought, everyone has their own opinions and this was mine, but good luck hopefully this info is helpful.
    P.S. I have M&P 15 sport II complete for 775.

jrumann59

DILLIGAF
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 17, 2011
    After yesterday's and other recent events you better buy it before someone else does, cause anything with a magazine, handgun or long gun is fixing to get banned by executive fiat by the ATF at Biden's request and followed up Congress...
    Doing Nothing About Stolen Elections Has Catastrophic Consequences.
    View attachment 367357
    Goddamn this site ends up more and more facebook-ish everyday. I guess you will be buying up lowers and rifles and posting for sale at 100% mark-ups in the classifieds. :rolleyes:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom