• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Hey, anyone have suggestions on something for storing small quantities of ammo? I am looking for something that could store between 300 and 600 rounds of 9mm. A regular .30 cal can is too big. Just looking to break up my reloads some more as I tend to keep on hand a few hundred rounds of each caliber. I can use heavy duty bags (what I do now) in .30, .50 cal cans or bigger ammo crates. But it is nice having something small and range ready. The perfect size to me is the 6# screw box from the backer on screws I have my 9mm in. It holds close to 500 rounds. Is on the heavy side with that in there, but not so heavy to be a serious burden. Nice sturdy handle that is NOT part of the lid is nice too. I can't find anything remotely like it anywhere and I don't really want to buy $36 of screws, just for the $2 box they came in. Lots of bonus points if they stack in something bigger easily. Doesn't need to perfectly preserve the space. But if I could fit, for example, 6 of them in an MTM ammo crate, than fantastic.

This is an example of what is perfect. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Backer-...-Cement-Board-Screws-750-Pack-23505/314498727

Done a ton of searching, and I got nada. Thoughts?

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County

Walmart sells the same thing for cheaper. Check the handle and latch, same item in a different color for 40% less.

They come in black plastic or clear, located near the tool boxes. I have about 5-6. Slightly smaller than a 30 cal can and much lighter.

Black

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-To...acking-Utility-Box-Organization-box/552980647

Clear/semitransparent

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Hyper-To...-Durable-plastic-11-5-x-5-06-x-7-25/675298497

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I used these coin boxes from the bank for years, no handles but compact storage. And free.

Attachments

• 20230319_110553.jpg
      20230319_110553.jpg
      147.5 KB · Views: 57

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Just as an FYI I grabbed a three pack of these. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B074B9ZY7D

48oz should hold about a third an ammo can. An ammo can is about a gallon volume. So maybe about 400 rounds of 9mm or maybe 250 of .45acp. Seems like a good amount for range trips. More than I’d shoot at the range in a session. Without being so much more that it is too heavy and big to want to take to the range. An ammo can full and I’d want to scoop out a bunch to take to the range. I am lazy. Grab the container off the shelf and throw it in my trunk with my range bag and cases. Or throw it in a .50 cal can with some other boxes of ammo. 2-3 of them should fit in a .50 cal can fine, along with other ammo.

Overboost44

6th gear
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 10, 2013
    Kent Island
    I use these and as a bonus you get gelato. They are great for spare nuts, bolts, nails etc.

dink

Mar 30, 2014

Holds 500rds of 380, 450'ish? rounds of 9. ~10-12lbs loaded. Works for everything, can use the handle or thin enough to just grab it. Easily stackable, easily transportable. You can find them cheaper...

SouthCo

Nov 20, 2012
    This place offers different size ammo cans/containers. I've bought a few and happy with them...

edit: didn't see you mentioned MTM so maybe you've already seen the small containers they offer...

6-Pack

NRA Life Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 17, 2013
    Carroll Co.
    I use the MTM cases. They’re more durable than you’d think. I accidentally dropped one filled with some 45 hand loads (loose, not in boxes) and nothing spilled out or cracked. They also stack nicely.

Seagrave1963

Still learnin'
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 6, 2011
    Eastern Shore
    I use the MTM cases. They’re more durable than you’d think. I accidentally dropped one filled with some 45 hand loads (loose, not in boxes) and nothing spilled out or cracked. They also stack nicely.

+1 - When Midway has them on sale with free shipping, it's a good deal for a quality, long lasting product.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    I scored a handful of pelican knock off small cases about the size that could hold two pistols laying flat oriented the right way. Don't think it holds as much as you want 2-300 rounds I believe. One has 9, one has 556, and one has *cough*40*cough*.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom