• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    I'm in the final stages of planning what parts I want to use to build my .300 blk project. Recently I've been thinking about an aluminum stock, but I know nothing about who makes them/what they have to offer. You guys have any good suggestions or experience?

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    No experience with aluminum stocks.

But I've always had good experiences with Magpul's offerings - yeah, just about everyone with an AR has something by Magpul, but it does it's job.

Don't know what barrel length and intended use your build is, but I loved my UBR stock when I had it.

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    I have a CTR on my 14.5" spikes build, but I kinda wanna do a aluminum one for durability among other things, and this gun will also be a cerakote project. I'd like to get the stock done, and I just don't think cerakote looks the same on plastic as it does metal, I want it to match my receivers.

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I agree with Brad^^^ that polymer like Magpul is where it's at nowadays. But if you really want metal, I know ACE makes a skeleton stock and I think VLTOR has a metal stock or two. I don't know that anyone still makes old school metal CAR-15 stocks.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Maybe Lord Chad can chime in, but from the little bit I've heard of ACE stocks - seems like they can be a love it/hate it deal.

If you want it to match the receivers, there's always hydro-dip as an option, and specific paints designed for polymer.

Not trying to sway you, but just putting out other options. :)

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    I'm gonna talk to the coater and see what they think about matching the poly to the aluminum. If it can't be matched its no biggie I'll just stay with black. I'm not sure I want the added weight of the aluminum stock.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    If you got some accessories hanging off a rail, then yeah, maybe the extra weight would be a good thing - bring the balance back some.

Talk to them, I'm sure there's more options available to you.

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    I know years ago a company made rubber coated aluminum stocks that replaced the cheap plastic carbine stocks That was before the days of Magpul and Ace I used to see them in Shotgun new from Sarco You could try Gun Parts Corp also

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    By aluminum do mean a skeleton stock? Or are you referring to the old original CAR stocks?

Here is one I put together a while ago; I feel the full length buffer tube settles a typical over gassed 16" carbine down a bit.

a5c3106a.jpg

ride4frnt

Jun 18, 2011
    Clear Spring
    If I go aluminum its going to be of the same style as the ace socom or ace hammer. I knew ace made some but for some reason their website won't load. Any other options out there?

BenL

John Galt Speaking.
    The Ace Hammer stock is a really nice aluminum stock, but it's $$$. I have an Ace Skeleton stock and have been really happy with it- very light weight. For non-aluminum, the Ergo F93 is pretty tough to beat, and it can take a steel "strike plate".

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom