• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    I won a 1930 Remington Mod. 29 at auction last night. It's a fantastic example with the exception of a minor chip in the bottom of the wrist of the stock. Easy enough to repair for me. That said, being a shotgun from the pre-WWII days before the industry standard of 2-3/4" was settled on, it takes 2" shells. RTS has 7.5 shot at $26/box or $250/case which isn't too shabby, but the shipping kills it at ~$30 to ship to my house for a single box. I figured I'd ask and see if anyone knew of any other manufacturers that still sell 2" shotshells. And before anyone says "Ream the forcing cones!" that's a big negative. Less than 39,000 of these were ever made and there aren't that many surviving examples out there.
    If you know of any other manufacturers, or even a local-ish store that stocks 2" (and no, not the mini 1.5" shells) I'd love to hear about it! Thank you all for your help in advance!

blazing lead

Nov 29, 2018
    Cecil county
    Not off the top of my head, but reloading them yourself may be a viable option, trim to whatever length you desire and roll crimp should work out pretty good.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    I doubt it is 2", it is likely 2 1/2" which is easier than 2" which is a thing but mostly just a British.
    I reload for my short chamber guns, it is easy and much cheaper.
    Low pressure data is available, you can either get a short kit for a single stage MEC or roll crimp.

Cochise

Ultimate Member
    Sep 5, 2008
    Rockville
    From Remington
    Firearm Model History

Model 29
    Description: Pump action, hammerless tubular-magazine, bottom-ejecting, takedown shotgun
    Introduction Year: 1930
    Year Discontinued: 1933
    Total Production: Approximately 38,000
    Designer/Inventor: C.C. Loomis
    Action Type: Pump action
    Caliber/Gauge: 12 gauge for use with 2 3/4-inch shells
    Serial Number Blocks: 0,000 – 38,000
    Grades Offered: 29A – Standard Grade
    29B – Special Grade
    29C – Trap Grade
    29D – Tournament Grade
    29E – Expert Grade
    29F – Premier Grade
    29R – Riot Grade
    Variations: 29T- Special Trap Gun including the Target, Tournament, Expert and Premier grades

I would still keep it low pressure and probably 7/8 oz or 3/4 oz loads.

See less

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    From Remington
    Firearm Model History

Model 29
    Description: Pump action, hammerless tubular-magazine, bottom-ejecting, takedown shotgun
    Introduction Year: 1930
    Year Discontinued: 1933
    Total Production: Approximately 38,000
    Designer/Inventor: C.C. Loomis
    Action Type: Pump action
    Caliber/Gauge: 12 gauge for use with 2 3/4-inch shells
    Serial Number Blocks: 0,000 – 38,000
    Grades Offered: 29A – Standard Grade
    29B – Special Grade
    29C – Trap Grade
    29D – Tournament Grade
    29E – Expert Grade
    29F – Premier Grade
    29R – Riot Grade
    Variations: 29T- Special Trap Gun including the Target, Tournament, Expert and Premier grades

I would still keep it low pressure and probably 7/8 oz or 3/4 oz loads.

See less
    Yeah, saw that just now. Not sure where the other source I looked at got 2" from then.

So, good news on that front!
    This one is a plain jane 29A, From the outside, it looked like a stock repair for a chip on the lower left of the wrist was going to be an easy fix, but now that the stock it off, it's apparent that there are other weak areas. I'll still repair the stock, but will likely also spring for a replacement. Boyds, of all suppliers, has the most correct replacement since they'll do the checkering it should have. SN is in the 19k range, so right in the middle of the road. Neat shotguns with Loomis making some smart upgrades to Pederson's model 10 design. This one is in great shape, good patina, very little wear on the bluing, no rust, very clean and bright bore with no sign of pitting or rust. It's a fixed improved choke, so it'll make a great, albeit hefty, upland gun, you know.... once I clean it up, and BOY is it dirty! I'll be taking it all the way down to give it a thorough cleaning. The wrist damage is indicative of many firearms of this age. A lot of "shoot some cleaner in the action and then oil it real good" leading to oil damage in the stock as it slowly drained into the wood from the action when the gun was stored muzzle up in a closet or cabinet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom