All banned (regulated) firearms confiscated after Oct 1st if you get PBJ or convicted

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • livefreeordie

Feb 1, 2013
    I know there is a mass of confusion over what the bill currently looks like with the various amendments and such, but...

Is it currently true that you will be unable to transfer your newly banned firearms (ar15 or handgun with > 10 round capacity) to anyone in MD after Oct 1st IF you get Probation Before Judgement on a criminal charge? The same if you get sent in to rehab a mental deficiency?

This means that upon sentencing, you will have to forfeit the firearms over to MSP for destruction because they cannot legally be transferred to anyone else in MD, even temporarily to a spouse, until you get the PBJ expunged 3 years after your PBJ ends. They are gone forever and you cant buy new ones. Hope this is not retroactive as it will impact many, many folks.

Please tell me I am way off base here. :mad54:

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    I know there is a mass of confusion over what the bill currently looks like with the various amendments and such, but...Is it currently true that you will be unable to transfer your newly banned firearms (ar15 or handgun with > 10 round capacity) to anyone in MD after Oct 1st IF you get Probation Before Judgement on a criminal charge? The same if you get sent in to rehab a mental deficiency?

I think you are confusing several separate issues. Both the Senate-passed version of the bill and the bill as reported by the House committees would prohibit future acquisitions of certain "assault" weapons, but the two versions differ somewhat in the particulars. Neither version would ban future transfers of handguns with greater than 10-round capacity that use detachable magazines, but it would prohibit the sale or transfer of the actual 10+-capcity magazines. A semiautomatic pistol that has a fixed magazine the accepts more than 10 rounds would be defined as a "copycat" assault weapon and future acquisitions would be banned.

All of that is entirely separate from several new proposed new disqualifications on firearms ownership, which apply to all types of non-antique firearms. If enacted, these would be bans on possession -- not merely transfer or future acquisition. Some of the new disqualifications are attached to various types of mental health diagnosis or treatment. At this point the two houses differ substantially on those provisions, and I have no idea provisions, will end up in the final bill.

The "probation before judgment" provision was added in the House committee by an amendment by Delegate Luiz Simmons (D-Montgomery). It sharply divided the majority-bloc Democrats, and there were Republicans on both sides as well. I was there for the debate, but I have not seen the language. As explained by Simmons, it would apply to PBJs issued based on crimes of violence, until and unless they are expunged. It was not clear to me whether this disqualification would be retrospective or not. It is not at all clear whether the Simmons provision will survive in the final bill.

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    I know there is a mass of confusion over what the bill currently looks like with the various amendments and such, but...

Is it currently true that you will be unable to transfer your newly banned firearms (ar15 or handgun with > 10 round capacity) to anyone in MD after Oct 1st IF you get Probation Before Judgement on a criminal charge? The same if you get sent in to rehab a mental deficiency?

This means that upon sentencing, you will have to forfeit the firearms over to MSP for destruction because they cannot legally be transferred to anyone else in MD, even temporarily to a spouse, until you get the PBJ expunged 3 years after your PBJ ends. They are gone forever and you cant buy new ones. Hope this is not retroactive as it will impact many, many folks.

you can't transfer ANYTHING banned after 10/1 regardless of PBJ (except by inheritance)

I think you are rolling two bad issues into one

until we see the amendments written up where we can look at them, this discussion is all speculative

madness3120

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 4, 2012

I sure as hell hope it isnt retroactive.. they wont be taking my sh!t!!!

ddeanjohnson

autodidact
    Aug 21, 2010
    so the mags would not be transferable except through inheritance but guns would be? What's the status?

The "assault" weapons section contains specific language to allow receipt by inheritance of the banned weapons "or detachable magazine." However, as I read the bill, this is separate and distinct from the new ban on transfer of any detachable magazines with capacity of over 10 rounds -- that section contains no reference to transfer or receipt by inheritance.

Another problem is that there seems to be no provision to allow an heir to receive inherited handguns (regardless of ammunition capacity) unless the heir first obtains a "handgun qualification license."

JohnnyE

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 18, 2013
    MoCo
    The "assault" weapons section contains specific language to allow receipt by inheritance of the banned weapons "or detachable magazine." However, as I read the bill, this is separate and distinct from the new ban on transfer of any detachable magazines with capacity of over 10 rounds -- that section contains no reference to transfer or receipt by inheritance.

Another problem is that there seems to be no provision to allow an heir to receive inherited handguns (regardless of ammunition capacity) unless the heir first obtains a "handgun qualification license."

And what if your heir is 17 years old when you pass? May he/she inherit your firearms?

Markp

Ultimate Member
    Dec 22, 2008
    And what if your heir is 17 years old when you pass? May he/she inherit your firearms?

Inheritance and possession are two different things. They would be able to inherit but not possess... question is, who would legally be allowed to store them until that time they reached legal age?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    JackW

Latest threads

Top Bottom