• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    Anyone think they can estimate a cost to get a reciever and get someone who know's what they're doing to put a parts kit together into a real gun for me? Dont have the tools, talent, or time to do it myself.

Also, anyone that fits that description in harford county? I'd love to do that around the new year, after things settle a bit.

Scott7891

Love those Combloc guns
    Sep 4, 2007
    Back in MD sadly
    Nodak Spud makes the best AK receivers hands down and are reasonably priced. They have one of their AK-74 receivers on sale now for $43. You are not going to find a better price than that, most go for more than double that amount.

http://www.nodakspud.com/page2.htm

People mention Midcounty on the Eastern Shore as a great AK builder. I never dealt with him.

I used Richard at Glade Valley Sporting Goods. I bought my first AK from him that he built himself, a Romanian G parts gun with the original matching barrel on a Nodak Spud kit. I still have this gun from almost four years ago when I bought it and will never sell it which should tell you a lot The man knows what he is doing. Once I have the money to throw around I am going to him for an East German MPi-KM, Soviet AKS-74, and maybe even a Galil build.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    I saw that one for 43 dollars said something about the magwell needing to be expanded, do you think that eould add much extra cost?

Also, I think I want one with holes for mounting a scope on it. Would those two extras equal out the cost savings of the 43$ piece vs the 85$ with both of those already.

Last edited:

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    building an AK47 is a project....are you sure you want to do this??

Its not like assembling an AR....I wish I had the tools, time and knowledge I would love to "build" it but perhaps with your schedule buying one is more economical.

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    building an AK47 is a project....are you sure you want to do this??

Its not like assembling an AR....I wish I had the tools, time and knowledge I would love to "build" it but perhaps with your schedule buying one is more economical.

Well, that's why I'm asking how much it would be do have it built. I already have a bulgarian parts kit that I've put up for sale twice with no bites at below what I payed for it. If someone wanted it for a reasonable price, so I didn't feel like I was losing a couple hundred dollars, I'd gladly sell it and buy a saiga, and make that one more of a project over time, or just get a reasonably priced one already done up and pretty like. I'm a broke college kid, which is why I have a 74 instead of a 47, because the ammo is cheap enough for me to stock up on and not go broke.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    You'd be far better off selling the parts kit. Does it have a barrel? It would probably be cheaper to buy a Saiga than the labor on building an AK from a kit from a decent gunsmith.

-Jim

straightsilver3

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Mar 2, 2011
    everywhere
    Gewehr werks Tipp city Ohio Tim Foreman will do a build for 375.00 I have a Tantal/Bulgy AK 74 That he did an awesome job on Complete Tack driver 1to2" group My receiver is a Nodak If your in Glen burnie area sometime PM me I'll be glad to show it to you

krashmania

Still dont know anything
    Feb 6, 2011
    churchville
    You'd be far better off selling the parts kit. Does it have a barrel? It would probably be cheaper to buy a Saiga than the labor on building an AK from a kit from a decent gunsmith.

-Jim

Yes, not original though, stainless steel. What do you guys think I should ask for it, realistically.

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.
    If you're close to Frederick stop in and talk to Rick at Glade Hill. He did a build for me and I was very happy with it!

Also, he offered to buy the kit I had if I opted not to do the build. It was a more rare kit but he made me what I thought was a very good offer on it.

I would do that as my next move.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    Well, that's why I'm asking how much it would be do have it built. I already have a bulgarian parts kit that I've put up for sale twice with no bites at below what I payed for it. If someone wanted it for a reasonable price, so I didn't feel like I was losing a couple hundred dollars, I'd gladly sell it and buy a saiga, and make that one more of a project over time, or just get a reasonably priced one already done up and pretty like. I'm a broke college kid, which is why I have a 74 instead of a 47, because the ammo is cheap enough for me to stock up on and not go broke.

7.62x39 is very cheap now, not as cheap as 5.45x39 but its very affordable now. if you buy in bulk its even better

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB
    If you're close to Frederick stop in and talk to Rick at Glade Hill. He did a build for me and I was very happy with it!

Also, he offered to buy the kit I had if I opted not to do the build. It was a more rare kit but he made me what I thought was a very good offer on it.

I would do that as my next move.

Glade Valley is the way to go for local AK builds. I've seen his stuff before, and it's pretty solid.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    Yes, not original though, stainless steel. What do you guys think I should ask for it, realistically.

Is it actually a stainless steel barrel or is it just a US barrel in the white? Chrome lined or not?

If you don't have a good chromed barrel, I wouldn't bother paying a builder to put it together. You'll basically end up with a Century Bulgarian but will have paid a whole lot more for it.

I'd suggest getting a Saiga in 5.45 instead and having a builder convert and install a proper front end on it with the parts you have. Sell the rest of the parts and existing barrel and recoup some funds. A little less money overall and it'll basically be the same quality as an Arsenal SGL.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Noha

Latest threads

Top Bottom