• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CJWalker

Aug 18, 2010
    Carroll County
    Okay, I've done a lot of searching and am still trying to figure out how to go about putting parts kits together for these receivers. I thought about buying a kit, but I'd rather just put something together myself and get the 922r out of the way at the same time.

I have a serialized AKM receiver and bent/drilled akm, polish UF and Yugo UF M92/M70 1mm flats. The main thing is that I want to get the rivet work and barrel head-spacing out of the way before I go about the rest of the build(s) at my leisure. I've found a number of that parts that I need and that are available, but the one that seems to be the most trouble is the front trunnion. I've found Yugo fronts and some new fronts patterned after the Russian AKM among others. If I stick with 23mm fronts for 1mm flats will I run into any problems other than having to use the different rear trunnions on the UF's?

I am not a purist and it doesn't bother me if I stray from country specific parts. I hope to have one of these things talking soon!

-Z/28-

I wanna go fast
    Dec 6, 2011
    Harford Co
    I know the Yugo trunnions are specific to Yugos. Armed Ferret could give you a better answer. Personally I find the benefit to the kit is that you have a numbers matching set of parts that have been together before. I can tell you that WhatACountry has #s matching Polish UF kits in stock. That's where I got mine.

CJWalker

Aug 18, 2010
    Carroll County
    I know the Yugo trunnions are specific to Yugos. Armed Ferret could give you a better answer. Personally I find the benefit to the kit is that you have a numbers matching set of parts that have been together before. I can tell you that WhatACountry has #s matching Polish UF kits in stock. That's where I got mine.

Very good point and it seems like the Yugo's are oddballs. Apex has Yugo fronts in stock, but I might just start with a Polish since I have receiver railed up and ready to rock. I think AK-Builder has the rear trunnion and stock parts for the Polish and Yugo folders.

Sweet. Looks like they have some kits too.

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Just get a parts kit that's complete and then add us parts. It will be waaaaayyyy less expensive. Just look up individual.parts on gunbroker if you don't believe me.

rob-cubed

In need of moderation
    Sep 24, 2009
    Holding the line in Baltimore
    I wouldn't bother with a Yugo front end unless you like the additional weight. You can make a frankenbuild with one, but sticking with all AKM-pattern components is easier.

Also, if it's an original Yugo front end the barrel won't be chromed and is often in poor shape.

CJWalker

Aug 18, 2010
    Carroll County
    Just get a parts kit that's complete and then add us parts. It will be waaaaayyyy less expensive. Just look up individual.parts on gunbroker if you don't believe me.

Right on. I was doing the math last night and the front trunnion and bolt/carrier were really adding to the cost. I'll just skip the Yugo for now and get a Polish kit and maybe buy an UF rear for it since I have a receiver for either. My main concern is getting barrel, trunnions and trigger guard stuff all done at the build party while possibly doing the rest later which is another reason that I was thinking of piecing the kit(s).

I wouldn't bother with a Yugo front end unless you like the additional weight. You can make a frankenbuild with one, but sticking with all AKM-pattern components is easier.

Also, if it's an original Yugo front end the barrel won't be chromed and is often in poor shape.

Thanks. On top of that I've hard a harder time finding Yugo kits, especially for my specific receiver. I'll just Frankenstein the Yugo flat if I ever 'need' another rifle. :D

armed ferret

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Sep 23, 2008
    McDoogal's
    Shouldn't be a problem to get you most if not all of the way done. I'll be blasting and parking a few but not building much of anything.

CJWalker

Aug 18, 2010
    Carroll County
    Shouldn't be a problem to get you most if not all of the way done. I'll be blasting and parking a few but not building much of anything.

Great thanks! I've found a few Polish kits so I'll probably snag one of those along with the rivets, pins and a barrel. I'll do the US piston, trigger and flash hider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom