• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirex

Powered by natural gas
    Oct 30, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    As memory serves- the standard double stacks don’t work as there is a feed ramp built into the factory Saiga mags. I recall some folks have modified the receiver to add one, but the Surefire mags have the same ramp built in as factory and work flawlessly.
    Yes, the Saiga and Vepr 7.62x39 rifles don't have a feed ramp in the gun, and have a little extra ledge on the front of the polymer mags for them. People who do conversions usually install a bullet guide, either screwed in, or riveted in, and the rear mag catch has to be trimmed a bit for AK mags to catch and seat.

For what it's worth, the Saiga and Vepr 7.62x39 mags are basically the same except the markings, and interchange in both guns. If you can't find Surefire Saiga mags, buy the Surefire Vepr mags, as physically they are identical. I bought a ton from a friend up in PA, as well as OEM Saiga and Vepr 10rd mags, which are what I primarily use at the range for bench shooting because they are short. I attempted a few years ago, to modify a Yugo AK by installing a metal bullet guide/feed ramp. Can't remember if I posted the pics here, or on the old Vepr forum, but I kinda lost track of the project and forgot all about it, but the prototype hand cycled just fine. Never did a live fire test though.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    So after going thru the history of imports, it would seem that this was a standard example due to the AWB of ‘94. When originally purchased what was its configuration of “features”?
    They are imported featureless because of the 1989 import ban, which still exists. A 1994 compliant rifle isn’t necessarily 1989 compliant.

The full evil feature Saiga SGLs were imported as parts or at least barreled actions and converted by the importers with appropriate number of US made parts. That’s how they got around the 1989 import ban. Some of the earlier importer converted SGLs had incorrect Bulgarian front sight and gas blocks rather than correct Russian AK-100 parts.

Robert2888

Nov 5, 2013
    Westmoreland,VA
    The 89 ban was easily worked around by, like you said, importing parts or semi assembled parts and 922R built stateside. As far as I’m aware, the Bush Sr illegal edict strictly dealt with imports where the 94 ban covered manufacturing stateside. Pre Clinton ban were the imported rifles ever brought in with the “evil features” in mind for the final assembly once in country? I’ve never seen slant cut receivers or single stack trunnions imported on any rifles before the “crime bill of 94”.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    The 89 ban was easily worked around by, like you said, importing parts or semi assembled parts and 922R built stateside. As far as I’m aware, the Bush Sr illegal edict strictly dealt with imports where the 94 ban covered manufacturing stateside. Pre Clinton ban were the imported rifles ever brought in with the “evil features” in mind for the final assembly once in country? I’ve never seen slant cut receivers or single stack trunnions imported on any rifles before the “crime bill of 94”.
    The 1994 ban covered imports too, but it was kind of irrelevant for rifles because the 1989 ban was stricter on them. It did ban imports of “assault” pistols.

It wasn’t until 2000 or so when ATF decided that the ability to take a military surplus mag over 10rd was an evil feature for the sporting purpose test for import. That’s when single stack import configurations came along.

Slant cut receivers were never a criteria for import compliance.

Brookso

Jul 25, 2022
    Richmond
    I know it's a bit older thread, but I'm finally decided to get myself an AK-47 from https://gritrsports.com/shooting/firearms/rifles/ak-47-rifles and wanted to know which manufacturers should I look for? Medium budget, around 1-1.5, so far checked Century Arms, Zastava, Riley Defense and K-USA(out of those pretty much deciding between Zastava and K-Usa). Any advice would be welcome, thanks in advance!

Last edited:

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I know it's a bit older thread, but I'm finally decided to get myself an AK-47 and wanted to know which manufacturers should I look for? Medium budget, around 1-1.5, so far checked Century Arms, Zastava, Riley Defense and K-USA(out of those pretty much deciding between Zastava and K-Usa). Any advice would be welcome, thanks in advance!
    The only semi-auto 7.62x39 AK-style rifle that can be sold in MD is the FB Radom Beryl. Short of that there's the VZ-58, which is AK-ish and may scratch the itch. You can also get any 7.62x39 AK pistol and SBR it.

Brookso

Jul 25, 2022
    Richmond
    The only semi-auto 7.62x39 AK-style rifle that can be sold in MD is the FB Radom Beryl. Short of that there's the VZ-58, which is AK-ish and may scratch the itch. You can also get any 7.62x39 AK pistol and SBR it.
    Forgot to mention it's probably going to be at my parents house, and that's in Texas, so a bit more wiggle room on what I can get. Usually spending like half a year here since they need help around the house during summer.

Last edited:

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I know it's a bit older thread, but I'm finally decided to get myself an AK-47 and wanted to know which manufacturers should I look for? Medium budget, around 1-1.5, so far checked Century Arms, Zastava, Riley Defense and K-USA(out of those pretty much deciding between Zastava and K-Usa). Any advice would be welcome, thanks in advance!
    Of those, get a Romanian WASR imported by Century. Stay away from US made. Zastavas are non-standard AKs that don’t take many AKM parts and accessories. Look up QC issues with Zastavas as well, though they have improved.

Brookso

Jul 25, 2022
    Richmond
    Of those, get a Romanian WASR imported by Century. Stay away from US made. Zastavas are non-standard AKs that don’t take many AKM parts and accessories. Look up QC issues with Zastavas as well, though they have improved.
    I've heard Zastava improved a lot, used to be abysmal QC. Gonna try to look up imported WASR then, thanks!

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    Zastava QC is significantly improved, the firearms are very good quality these days. Accessories are very available for them at this point, but are not standard AKm. Fit and finish is excellent, but they are significantly heavier than a standard AKm/AK74.

WASRs have poor fit and finish, but are very reliable. I like the Draco pistols better than WASRs, they are arguably the least molested imported AK variant.

The WBP Jack (or really any WBP AK variant) has very good fit and finish. Significantly better than any other AK I’ve ever held, and I’ve held a lot of them. That doesn’t make them any better or more accurate, but they are very pretty and just as reliable as any other AK. They are a subcontractor for FB Radom and use FB Radom barrels, and they are starting to get military and police contracts of their own, so obviously someone likes them.

Arsenal Bulgaria makes good AKs, but they are pretty proud of them. Fit and finish is okay, nothing special. Good quality gun, you know what you’re getting.

Kalashnikov USA makes a good AK, but I’d focus on imports if this is more of a collector item than something you plan to modify. If you want American made, it’s a great choice.

PSA actually makes a great American AK too, and their warranty is really good.

Atlantic Firearms does good quality in house builds, and they are an industry partner on this forum.

I would avoid most other US manufacturers outside of boutique Gucci AK makers.

The Galil ACE from IWI is very nice, though it is a nonstandard AK variant.

Brookso

Jul 25, 2022
    Richmond
    Kalashnikov USA makes a good AK, but I’d focus on imports if this is more of a collector item than something you plan to modify. If you want American made, it’s a great choice.
    Ye, I ve been thinking about K-USA a lot. Especially, since I can demo it at the local range and check how it feels to shoot.
    Huge thanks, you've just brought a lot of options to the table, gonna dig a bit more!

Feb 28, 2013
    Zastava QC is significantly improved, the firearms are very good quality these days. Accessories are very available for them at this point, but are not standard AKm. Fit and finish is excellent, but they are significantly heavier than a standard AKm/AK74.

WASRs have poor fit and finish, but are very reliable. I like the Draco pistols better than WASRs, they are arguably the least molested imported AK variant.

The WBP Jack (or really any WBP AK variant) has very good fit and finish. Significantly better than any other AK I’ve ever held, and I’ve held a lot of them. That doesn’t make them any better or more accurate, but they are very pretty and just as reliable as any other AK. They are a subcontractor for FB Radom and use FB Radom barrels, and they are starting to get military and police contracts of their own, so obviously someone likes them.

Arsenal Bulgaria makes good AKs, but they are pretty proud of them. Fit and finish is okay, nothing special. Good quality gun, you know what you’re getting.

PSA actually makes a great American AK too, and their warranty is really good.

Atlantic Firearms does good quality in house builds, and they are an industry partner on this forum.

I would avoid most other US manufacturers outside of boutique Gucci AK makers.

The Galil ACE from IWI is very nice, though it is a nonstandard AK variant.
    The stock on my WASR looked like somebody been hammerin nails with it

I didn’t think it was a bad thing. Gave it a little character IMHO

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    The stock on my WASR looked like somebody been hammerin nails with it

I didn’t think it was a bad thing. Gave it a little character IMHO
    Nothing wrong with the ol WASR 10. One of the few good sub $1000 imports left. If going Romanian I really do strongly recommend the Draco as I think it’s a better quality firearm for less money up front, but not everyone wants an AK Pistol/SBR. Or take a Draco and build a completely custom 2 gun/truck setup out of it. Joke is on everyone else though, that thing is awesome.

Off topic musings aside, the WASR 10 is a great first AK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom