• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rocinante

Jul 19, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    I spent a couple days making an AK development tree since I didn't readily see one online, enjoy. Please let me know if I've missed anything or made any mistakes.
    What is included:
    -official adopted and mass-produced military AK variants
    -prototypes that led to further development and adoption of an improved gun
    -commercial variants that have "standardized specs" and/or have influenced development of other AK derivatives
    What is not included:
    -AK-based prototypes that did not lead to any further or significant development
    -commercial variants that either are not standardized, are parts kit-based, or have multiple models but are marketed under the same name (i.e, the complete VEPR and Saiga lines)
    -clones manufactured in countries that lead to no further development and have no known unique designation (i.e, Azerbaijani-made AK-74s)
    -adopted variants that made no significant changes that did not lead to further development (i.e, underfolders and AKM sidefolders)
    -anything that has no relation to an AK but "just takes AK magazines" (i.e, PSA KS-47, Colt CM901, etc)
    ak development tree.png

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    I'll comment on what I know... Galil section is slightly problematic. Galil SAR, AR, and ARM were all developed concurrently as a family of weapons (the SAR is not a derivative of the AR or ARM, in other words). Galil MAR ("Micro") is a derivative of the Galil SAR. The Magal (.30 Carbine Galil) and Galil ACE were derivatives of the MAR.

ST19AG_WGreymon

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2009
    Odenton
    I would make the Bulgy SLR series strictly a derivative of the Bulgy AK-74. The only thing they have in common with the 74M is appearance.

They did not get the 5.5mm folding trunnion with 4 degree angle of cant (older 4.5mm trunnions had a 6 degree angle), 1.25mm receiver, and improved gas block and front sight block that the AK-100 series and Saigas received.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mikeymike88

Latest threads

Top Bottom