• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I am doing some traveling this summer and if I were to purchase a C&R firearm out of state, does anyone know if there are applicable MD or certain airlines that will make it difficult to check the firearm as luggage?
    I see on the TSA site that unloaded in a hard case is what they ask for. It must be checked baggage and not carry on. But it then states to check local and state laws. I fly out of BWI. The states I may be visiting are Ohio, Florida, Louisiana and NC.

Thx

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    As long as it is cased in an airline approved hard case and no ammo in the case you are good. It must be checked and declared, inspected and get some TSA approved locks to secure it after it is checked and inspected before they put it on the belt. I have traveled with long guns, handguns and archery gear on SWA many times, no issues as long as you follow the rules.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    FOPA will cover you but don't take possession in NY or NJ if your flight gets cancelled. Leave it with the airline.

Cheesehead

Jan 14, 2012
    Sunny Southwest Florida
    You do not need TSA approved locks. In fact it is best to use regular locks that only you can open. TSA will have you open the case if they want to inspect it, then have you lock it. They have no need to open the case without you present. When I traveled with a handgun I used regular padlocks on the hard gun case and put it in a suitcase
    secured with TSA locks.

Armadillofz1

Ultimate Member
    Mar 25, 2012
    DM-42
    do not get TSA locks. they are not allowed on firearm cases period. you are the only one allowed to have the key or any access to the firearm. if TSA needs to contact you they will page you to a phone or have you wait at the desk while they exray.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    HMM,
    Maybe I'd be better off Finding a local UPS store? and Ship it to myself?

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    Nope...UPS will make you ship it from a depot.

Just buy a lockable rifle case (or buy good padlocks). Declare it at the counter (ask for a firearm card for the case)...not a problem.

niftyvt

Ultimate Member
    Aug 21, 2010
    Virginia
    When flying with just my handgun (glock 19), which I do often, I put it in my sig p226 hard case because the stock glock case is horrible(yeah yeah a glock in a sig case :D). I put my 2 carry mags in the hard case with the glock, I then lock the case with two combo locks (one on each latch). I then take a cable lock and lock the hard case to the inside frame of my roller suitcase. Then I add a zipper lock to the suitcase itself. All locks are NON TSA. My carry ammo is in whatever spare factory ammo box I have lying around and is taped shut (to prevent spills).

To check it you just go up to the full service ticket line, yep you have to wiat in the line because you cannot use the self check in, and tell them you want to "declare a firearm." They give you a little document to sign and that you stick in the suit case declaring that the firearm is unloaded and that you have followed all the TSA rules. Sometimes they make you stick the paper inside the hard case with the gun (which is a side show for the others in line because I have to unpack EVERYTHING to get to my hard case) but usually I only have to stick it in the suit case.

After handing the bag over I wait around at the counter for about 5-10 min until it clears TSA just in case they need me to open the bag (which has never happened but its easy insurance instead of haveing to hassle with getting paged over the intercom and then figuring out where you need to go etc). I just tell the ticket counter people why I am sticking around and they almost always give me a wave once it clears. If they dont I bug em :)

I have flow United, American and Southwest with no issues. Every once and a while I do meet someone at the ticket counter that has no idea WTF they are doing. Just get there a little early to deal with any shenanigans that might crop up. I always fly out of BWI and have never had a problem.

I always lock my bags with non TSA locks (the largest master lock that will fit) because, if I am going to a state where my Utah permit isnt honored, I at least have a nice folding knife and my other EDC junk in the suitcase. If the TSA wants in they can cut it. The locks are only $5ish and I am paranoid that anybody can get a hold of the TSA 'master' key. Then again just about all of the little luggage locks are really easy to pick/just break. . . at least I try :)

Klunatic

Ultimate Member
    Feb 28, 2011
    Montgomery Cty
    As long as it is cased in an airline approved hard case and no ammo in the case you are good. It must be checked and declared, inspected and get some TSA approved locks to secure it after it is checked and inspected before they put it on the belt. I have traveled with long guns, handguns and archery gear on SWA many times, no issues as long as you follow the rules.

You can have ammo in the same case as the gun. It cannot be in the firearm and must be in a container approved for ammo.

janklow

Feb 6, 2013
    My carry ammo is in whatever spare factory ammo box I have lying around and is taped shut (to prevent spills).
    this is actually a good note because loose ammunition violates regulations and thus may get your bag searcged. obviously it's good for whoever's bag it is not to be loose as well.

Sometimes they make you stick the paper inside the hard case with the gun (which is a side show for the others in line because I have to unpack EVERYTHING to get to my hard case) but usually I only have to stick it in the suit case.
    IIRC it is supposed to be in the case with the gun as this demonstrates the airline made sure you're properly transporting it.

After handing the bag over I wait around at the counter for about 5-10 min until it clears TSA just in case they need me to open the bag (which has never happened but its easy insurance instead of haveing to hassle with getting paged over the intercom and then figuring out where you need to go etc).
    also a good point as well.

I always lock my bags with non TSA locks (the largest master lock that will fit) because, if I am going to a state where my Utah permit isnt honored, I at least have a nice folding knife and my other EDC junk in the suitcase. If the TSA wants in they can cut it. The locks are only $5ish and I am paranoid that anybody can get a hold of the TSA 'master' key. Then again just about all of the little luggage locks are really easy to pick/just break. . . at least I try :)
    not to mention the fact that if your bag has a zipper, they can just pop that open without going through the lock(s).

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    You can have ammo in the same case as the gun. It cannot be in the firearm and must be in a container approved for ammo.
    I stand corrected on that and also the TSA locks.. didn't realize that the fed law requires no other access be allowed.

I did read the regs on both items and now know.. lol

I always carry my ammo in plastic ammo boxes, since it's almost always reloads. They are cheap and secure. I have transported handguns many times with TSA locks on my pistol case, ammo separate (since I always carry more ammo than I could fit in the case)... Case on top of my checked bag cause they have always asked me to sign the declaration and put it in the case with the firearm. I present my pistol cleared and slide locked open, ask them if I can close it as I close and lock up the case.. they have always said 'yes'.

Never had any issues, hope we will continue to be able to travel this way with firearms in the future.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    I've flown with checked firearms 4 times. Follow the TSA and airline rules and it will be the easiest part of your check in.

The last time I checked one with South West, it took 5 minutes

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Southwest has always been very good to me when traveling with a firearm.

:thumbsup: That's been my experience. Just follow the laws clearly and don't get thrown for a loop if a new or inexperienced check-in person doesn't know the rules. Just as long as YOU do.....then ask for a supervisor.

UpperMarlboroMan

Mar 11, 2013
    I traveled with a hunting rifle years ago from Indiana (it was a gift from my father) to a New England state. Had no problem checking in and declaring. The airline never gave me any grief about it. But WOW, what happened when I was in the luggage area when the other passengers saw it. The reaction was immediate. People saw it come off the belt and I went to immediately get it off the luggage carousel. Of course, it came off first so I had to stand there waiting for my other bag. MULTIPLE people approached me and asked in not so nice tones, "WHAT IS IN THAT?" To which I replied, "It doesn't concern you." Many others were telling me I couldn't have that that and someone warned they were going to get a police officer!! What the hell? That person departed and luckily my other bag came up and I took off. I did tell someone that it was "fly fishing equipment" just to get them to leave me alone. I was shocked that so many people were so bothered by a guy with a rectangular black case standing peacefully by a luggage carousel.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom