Air Marshal Qualification - CCW Skills (For those looking to practice like the Pros)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Here's the current PPC.
    1 R T 1 = 1 round, reload transition to support hand, 1 round
    2 B 1 H = 2 to the Body, 1 to the Head
    2B1H R 2B1H = 2 Body, 1 Head - reload- 2 Body, 1 Head

The "move" with the barricades is starting out 1 step back and to either the left or right. Move into position from there and then fire.

I want to say it's pretty easy, for many it is. There are those who barely pass and that's amazing.
    The main reason why people fail/almost fail is they shoot too fast. There is a TON of time for all these rounds to be shot.

In our advanced training cycling through our facility in Atlantic city we also do a ATPC, Aircraft Tactical Pistol Course. This is from sitting down in airplane seats and it too is hard as woodpecker teeth.
    716cab0456d9b161fe36ae91dfc80f1a.jpg

Last edited:

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    Here's the current PPC.

The "move" with the barricades is starting out 1 step back and to either the left or right. Move into position from there and then fire.

I want to say it's pretty easy, for many it is. There are those who barely pass and that's amazing.
    The main reason why people fail/almost fail is they shoot too fast. There is a TON of time for all these rounds to be shot.

In our advanced training cycling through our facility in Atlantic city we also do a ATPC, Aircraft Tactical Pistol Course. This is from sitting down in airplane seats and it too is hard as woodpecker teeth.

That looks the same as the standard FLETC PPC. I thought FAMs did something different (outside of the ATPC). Unless the FAM PPC is on a smaller version of the Transitional Target, perhaps?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Your question mark does not make any grammatical sense.

And yes it is... you are one of them.

I read back thru the first part of the thread now . Don't see anything controversial posted by Bertfish in the first 10 posts. Did something get deleted before I stopped in here ?

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    That looks the same as the standard FLETC PPC. I thought FAMs did something different (outside of the ATPC). Unless the FAM PPC is on a smaller version of the Transitional Target, perhaps?
    I thought we just changed passing score, but I don't think so. 255 out of 300 (85%) is passing. Agency wide I think the average is up in the high 280's. I don't remember shooting any less than a 296. Just for giggles, I shot it left handed once and passed in the 280's.

We qualed 4 times a year. Left side barricade I would usually use my left hand. I found it easier than leaning over from the right. Always had plenty of time even with transitioning to the left.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Here's the current PPC.

How big is the target area for these standards? (Or, perhaps more concisely, which target?)

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    I read back thru the first part of the thread now . Don't see anything controversial posted by Bertfish in the first 10 posts. Did something get deleted before I stopped in here ?
    This thread is in as-found condition. No deleted content by me or Mods. I don't know what his problem was

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    These. Smaller than a B27.

7716a9aae1383c9d5d0059724241910a.jpg
    So those do look a bit different than the transitional target II that we used. I can't tell if they're smaller, but ours didn't have the two top circles. Do FAMs still score the two innermost circles as "5"?

This was my last FLETC PPC qual before I retired in December. Looks to be the same target but a different version. I took a pic because it was the same score (with pretty much the same dropped points) as my first qual at FLETC ~25 years ago.

finalqual.jpg

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Despite the kerfuffle with the troll (anyone know what his malfunction was?)

I really appreciated this post and it has prompted me to invest in a shot timer to give it a try.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    So those do look a bit different than the transitional target II that we used. I can't tell if they're smaller, but ours didn't have the two top circles. Do FAMs still score the two innermost circles as "5"?

This was my last FLETC PPC qual before I retired in December. Looks to be the same target but a different version. I took a pic because it was the same score (with pretty much the same dropped points) as my first qual at FLETC ~25 years ago.

View attachment 405317
    Yeah. Same target. We used the small circles for warm ups and other drills. As the agency grew, we just needed to adjust to Federal Agency standards. The Au Jus for us are airplane tactics. iirc only the center ring is 5. 5,4,3,2,1

Last edited:

Gun Commander

Industry Partner
    Jan 13, 2023
    Arnold, MD
    If anyone really wants to "practice like the pros," or at least like the FAMS, I might know a couple on here who can help facilitate that... ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GD-3

Latest threads

Top Bottom