AIMING IS USELESS! - this video is a must see.

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Probably the thing I emphasize most in class is grip placement and pressure and this video communicates the reason perfectly.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I agree...hard to take tactical advice from a guy who sounds winded walking to the target.

Really? What part was he talking about that is "tactical"?
    Yeah, because everyone knows if someone is physically failing, their knowledge and information is old and outdated too.

Larry Vickers is a fat bastard, so he knows nothing now about shooting now?

I injured my knee at work. All of the sudden I don't know shit about shooting. Forgot everything about it and all of my experience is no longer valid.

I know many perfect specimens and they don't know shit about shooting.

Maybe you forgot your sarcasm font.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I suggest you youtube some of mr. Leatham's recent uspsa matches and report back about his abilities.

I don't really care if the guy can run a marathon and hit the ten ring every 1/2 mile of it.

My comment still stands.

It was more of a joke then a serious comment but I forgot the butt hurt runs strong sometimes on this forum.

As far as internet shooters go Hickok45 and Jerry Mc. would probably be winded as well....I won't doubt their abilities.

Carry on with this man crush thing.

hogarth

Ultimate Member
    Jun 13, 2009
    I'll just say this.

When John "Shrek" McPhee (if people here don't know he is, well, let's just say he's a legend in Special Operations, and NOT like Dick Marcinko either!) was asked who he learned the most from when it comes to pistol shooting, he said without hesitation "Rob Leatham".

If I had the chance to train with Rob, I'd jump at the chance. He'd clean up all my shit in no time, I'm sure.

miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    I've heard the whole "hold the gun really tight" before, but am careful not to teach exactly like that. Many newbees will squeeze so tight they start to shake.

TD

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Concerning grip, grip pressure, and trigger finger placement it depends a lot on how fat the handgun is and how large your hand is. You have to find the sweet spot so that the bottom of the firearm back strap has firm pressure against the heel of your hand so that you can squeeze the trigger without moving any other fingers. I do not use any more pressure than is necessary...I use as less pressure as possible to only have firm pressure on the heel of my hand. I can find that sweet spot easier dry firing. On a 1911 I often find that my pinkie finger is off the grip and very little pressure if any for the thumb. On a double stack magazine type gun I have all my fingers on the grip with a little more pressure. For one handed shooting I also keep my arm fully extended and push my arm out.

After the shot goes off I'm only moving the trigger finger to quickly take up the slack and with just the trigger finger the sights moves right back on the target...that's called steering the sights with the trigger. From there you keep the trigger moving until the shot breaks...repeat.

Squeezing the grip really hard for each shot is bad...I call that wrestling the gun...not only is it bad for trigger control...it's tiring.

OpenHandWithMarks4Grip3.jpg

Last edited:

BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    Concerning grip, grip pressure, and trigger finger placement it depends a lot on how fat the handgun is and how large your hand is. You have to find the sweet spot so that the bottom of the firearm back strap has firm pressure against the heel of your hand so that you can squeeze the trigger without moving any other fingers. I do not use any more pressure than is necessary...I use as less pressure as possible to only have firm pressure on the heel of my hand. I can find that sweet spot easier dry firing. On a 1911 I often find that my pinkie finger is off the grip and very little pressure if any for the thumb. On a double stack magazine type gun I have all my fingers on the grip with a little more pressure. For one handed shooting I also keep my arm fully extended and push my arm out.

After the shot goes off I'm only moving the trigger finger to quickly take up the slack and with just the trigger finger the sights moves right back on the target...that's called steering the sights with the trigger. From there you keep the trigger moving until the shot breaks...repeat.

Squeezing the grip really hard for each shot is bad...I call that wrestling the gun...not only is it bad for trigger control...it's tiring.

OpenHandWithMarks4Grip3.jpg

Gotta disagree with you here. I think you will find that the vast majority of successful action pistol shooters (talking champion lvl) will tell you that when speed and accuracy combined are required that a crushing grip, the harder the better is the most effective. And this is scientifically born out as the sport progresses in the raw numbers. (USPSA classifier scores for example). Like was said in the video, with a powerful grip it almost doesn't matter what your trigger finger does. Running sub 2 sec Bill drill means you are mashing the trigger as hard as you can and your grip is what keeps you in the A zone.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    We will have to agree to disagree.

Too loose grip gives bigger groups (trigger motion and recoil induced). Too tight also gives bigger groups (lack of trigger control). You can not grip tight and retain fine motor control of your finger. So what to do? “Just Right” tension that gives you trigger AND recoil control).

How much is that? Well you have to figure that out by training with “too much” and “too little” then “just right”. Call it the “3 bears” exercise.

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    So...what I'm getting here is that people here on the forum who don't shoot as well as Rob Leatham disagree and are critical with what he says about having a tight grip on the gun?

I enjoyed this video - I might have to unlearn some of what I thought I knew and go back to some of the basics with those things in mind. I can shoot accurately slowly, but I've always wanted to be able to shoot fast like that and keep things centered. I do ok, but I know I could be better.

travistheone

Usual Suspect
    Dec 11, 2008
    cockeysville
    keep in mind that grip doesn't always mean squeeze in the traditional sense.

you can apply pressure ---><--- directly in or even around all sides. not necessarily just closing fingers around the grip. you are making a sandwich with the gun.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Ugh. It's called point shooting. No sights needed. Draw pistol, point and pull trigger.
    Grip strength is relative to distance from target. Looked like he was 15-20 yards away. Grip has to be spot on. Perfect for a non moving IPSC target with follow up shots.
    Pretty improbable someone is going to take self defense shots at that distance. But the shooting principle is on spot.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    So...what I'm getting here is that people here on the forum who don't shoot as well as Rob Leatham disagree and are critical with what he says about having a tight grip on the gun?

I enjoyed this video - I might have to unlearn some of what I thought I knew and go back to some of the basics with those things in mind. I can shoot accurately slowly, but I've always wanted to be able to shoot fast like that and keep things centered. I do ok, but I know I could be better.

The right grip is very important for trigger control for rapid fire shooting. If you look closely at Rob shooting you can clearly see that he isn't using a crushing grip. People interpret him saying use a tight grip or as he said "as tight as I can" as using a crushing grip...saying "as tight as I can" in my opinion is the four words he shouldn't have said....but words can be interpreted in many ways.

I'm not saying that I am as good as Rob at his game, but I can shoot rapid fire one handed and keep them in the black at 25 yards. When I have all the fundamentals working just right, a 45 ACP round is going in the black about every 1 second at 25 yards. I am pretty sure that with 2 hands I could keep them in the A zone at a closer target shooting faster. I am basically doing everything he is saying.

It's hard to explain to everyone so that they understand the same thing the same way. I'm not even going to attempt to explain why he shot his 1st round 6 ft over the target, but because I shoot rapid fire a lot I understand how he did it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom