• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    Start off with your club's events. From there try the AGC events like trap or action shooting. You will find most AGC members are willing to help encourage new shooters or to get a new member more involved.

Bornwinner

Mar 31, 2017
    Maryland
    I seem to live there
    Start off with your club's events. From there try the AGC events like trap or action shooting. You will find most AGC members are willing to help encourage new shooters or to get a new member more involved.
    I’ll have more time now since the weather is breaking to make club events like this Saturday we have a trap shoot and multi gun event and our cook out so I’m definitely going try to make that

mcbruzdzinski

NRA Training Counselor
    Industry Partner
    Aug 28, 2007
    Catonsville MD
    I’ll have more time now since the weather is breaking to make club events like this Saturday we have a trap shoot and multi gun event and our cook out so I’m definitely going try to make that
    That is the way to go! Hope to see you at the AGC. Do not be a stranger!

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    I heard about that. $150 increase! At least that is how much they want to increase the price. No way any increase is justified!
    Wow! That's quite a jump! Last time they wanted tobump the fee $50 the trustees voted to bump it $10/ year instead of all in one whack. That 15 year range badge is a hell of a bargain now!

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    The AGC is modestly priced for what it has and paying a full-time staff. Stuff costs. Good stuff costs more.

There’s ways to lessen the fees — volunteer.

Bornwinner

Mar 31, 2017
    Maryland
    Range Badge Increases:

This month the AGC President and EVP put together a comprehensive 5yr plan to help ensure the range has the resources it needs to grow, retain qualified staff, and invest in future projects. A detailed list of the projects include: Gravel for parking lots,Bay 7 buildout, Upgrades to memorial hall, Silt pond, Archery Bay improvements, Weatherize Barnes Range, New Tractor, New Beast, Trap Machines, Barnes and Pistol Range Overhangs, Additional Parking, Security/Video System for a Total $234,000. Another important addition was saving for paying off the mortgage on the rental properties. This is a balloon note due in 8 years of $394,000 . The range also needs to budget for labor increases for their staff.

There are two plans being floated to help raise the required funds. One plan is a $50 increase in 2023 and a $10 increase in subsequent years to take the badge holder fee’s to $300 a year. The second plan is a $25 increase over the next 4 years. Both plans will get is the funds in the long term but jumping to the $250 will let the range start making improvements sooner.

Two Plans:

2022 – 200 2022 - 200

2023 – 250 2023 – 225

2024- 260 2024 - 250

2025- 270 2025 - 275

2026- 280 2026 - 300

2027 – 290

2028 - 300

Kilroy3006

Jun 10, 2015
    The new AGC president seems to be trying his best. But AGC has serious problems with governance and fiscal responsibility that go back 6 or 7 years before he took office.

The 15 year badge idea was a boon to badge holders but fiscally irresponsible. It will cost AGC in excess of 100K in lost revenue over the 15 years. It isn't like they put it toward the mortgage, it went to build the action ranges and if you can believe the treasurer's reports the action ranges are losing money. So all the badge holders are subsidizing the non-badge holders / non-AGC members who use the action ranges. A sharp increase in guest fees has been proposed. Is there a plan to raise fees for the action shooting events so they are not a money drain on AGC?

Yes, inflation is real; but a little more transparency would go a long way. How about asking the rank and file badge holders what they want? Most have no idea what is going on or why. Fee increases are a lot easier to accept when you know the whole story and where the money is going and why.

Not opposed but skeptical that things will change.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The new AGC president seems to be trying his best. But AGC has serious problems with governance and fiscal responsibility that go back 6 or 7 years before he took office.
    Try like 20 years. If you're not growing the badge cost with inflation, the range is going to have less and less money to operate.

*snip* it went to build the action ranges and if you can believe the treasurer's reports the action ranges are losing money. So all the badge holders are subsidizing the non-badge holders / non-AGC members who use the action ranges. A sharp increase in guest fees has been proposed. Is there a plan to raise fees for the action shooting events so they are not a money drain on AGC?
    This is... somewhat surprising to me, and I'd be interested in seeing how that math works out (esp if it's amortized capital costs that are driving the loss vs operations). But I will admit that event fees are on the cheap side, and I do sometimes wonder if the bays could be further monetized. They sit essentially empty most of the time except on weekends and weeknights. The biggest users other than weekend action shooting events are ARPC and SASP (which is AGC AS or MRPC depending on who's counting), and both of them are pretty much just using their own stuff.

Yes, inflation is real; but a little more transparency would go a long way. How about asking the rank and file badge holders what they want? Most have no idea what is going on or why. Fee increases are a lot easier to accept when you know the whole story and where the money is going and why.
    Member democracy is not how the range management is set up. Ultimately, the charter clubs are the ones running the show, and I think you can make the argument that the trustee system isn't working terribly well in managing AGC. Until that changes, I wouldn't expect big improvements.

The range needs real improvements (IMHO, the pistol bays need a total overhaul), and the current yearly fee is absurdly low compared to the competition. No one likes higher prices, but I just don't see the path forward without adequately funding the range.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    I need to go shoot more @ the AGC. Especially if they're going to be increasing the range badge costs over the next few years.

I'm not getting my money's worth and that is nobody's fault but my own.

RRomig

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 30, 2021
    Burtonsville MD
    I need to go shoot more @ the AGC. Especially if they're going to be increasing the range badge costs over the next few years.

I'm not getting my money's worth and that is nobody's fault but my own.
    I let my membership drop a while back for that same reason. I can also shoot where I live so I didn’t see the need. A few years later I joined a different club so I could shoot out to 300yrds. That’s farther from my house and about the same money as AGC is proposing so I think I’ll be back next year. AGC is a great club and there seems to be a real effort to make it better.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    My information came from our club president. The AGC has a long history of being fiscally irresponsible! Any increase is simply to pay for the waste due to mismanagement of the facility. We used to keep costs down by doing work through volunteers but, the rulers decided to pay instead of saving money. The board also violated the vote of the trustees when they failed to pay off the mortgages on the two properties previously purchased, in accordance with the vote of the board of trustees. I know this for a fact, since I was on the board at the time the vote to purchase was taken. The badge fees were supposed to be lowered once the mortgage was paid off but, again mismanagement ruled and the fee was not lowered. It was subsequently increased, without justification, to $200. Every project they have done has run over on cost due to mismanagement. There are those who would continue to support the level of arrogance, and mismanagement that continues to exist at the AGC. I am not one of them.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    My information came from our club president. The AGC has a long history of being fiscally irresponsible! Any increase is simply to pay for the waste due to mismanagement of the facility. We used to keep costs down by doing work through volunteers but, the rulers decided to pay instead of saving money. The board also violated the vote of the trustees when they failed to pay off the mortgages on the two properties previously purchased, in accordance with the vote of the board of trustees. I know this for a fact, since I was on the board at the time the vote to purchase was taken. The badge fees were supposed to be lowered once the mortgage was paid off but, again mismanagement ruled and the fee was not lowered. It was subsequently increased, without justification, to $200. Every project they have done has run over on cost due to mismanagement. There are those who would continue to support the level of arrogance, and mismanagement that continues to exist at the AGC. I am not one of them.
    The premise that the range can run on volunteers and $100 a year memberships is crazy, IMHO. Property upkeep alone is a huge bill, and given some behaviors I've seen on that range, full-time RSOs are a necessity. When there's like four dudes on the range, yes, people can police themselves, but when it's 40, that's not realistic.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom