• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atec

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2010
    Maryland
    Thread resurrection for a couple quick questions:

Regarding the stands for the Barnes range, I've read both that the 14" is on center, and also outer edge. I'm planning to make my first stand and want to be sure.

Also, the specs say 1"x2" wood for the frame. The 1x2 is pretty flimsy, will 2x2 fit into the sockets?

My plan is to completely over-engineer with hinges and clasps that I can shoot to hell with my remedial marksmanship skills!

Thanks all.

I made mine with 2x2 s. You have to shave the corners slightley about 10 inches from the bottom . So post will fit in the tubes. If I find my camera later I will take a picture of them .

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    Also, the specs say 1"x2" wood for the frame. The 1x2 is pretty flimsy, will 2x2 fit into the sockets?

No, a 2x2 will not fit. You have an ID of about 1-9/16" for the frame ground mount holes. A 1x2 will fit as it is 1-1/2" across. A 2x2 will not fit because you are basically trying to fit a 1.5" square peg in a 1.5" round hole. However, you can make the 2x2 work if you round over all 4 corners and make it into a 1-1/2" dowel. Easy to do with a belt sander or router with a round over bit. You only need to do this for the bottom 8 - 10" of the target frame.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    The sockets are 14" OUTSIDE-TO-OUTSIDE.

They are not 14" on center.

I usually make my stands out of 2x2s seven feet long, but you absolutely do have to shave the corners for the lowest 10 inches or so. Have a decent knife with you the first time you go to set the stand up, just in case you need to shave a little extra.

damifinowfish

Ultimate Member
    Dec 14, 2009
    Remulak
    Make your frame. If you need to adjust it come talk to the rso's. They have a power frame adjustment tool that you can borrow. They have a power grinder with a sanding disk to tweek your frame.

Bolts Rock

Living in Free America!
    Apr 8, 2012
    Northern Alabama
    Thread resurrection for a couple quick questions:

Regarding the stands for the Barnes range, I've read both that the 14" is on center, and also outer edge. I'm planning to make my first stand and want to be sure.

My plan is to completely over-engineer with hinges and clasps that I can shoot to hell with my remedial marksmanship skills!

Thanks all.

14" on center but helps to bevel the legs a bit at the bottom, say 1/8" on each edge. 2x2 may fit but everything has to be perfect, go with 1x2 and add a cross brace or two, mine's been going for three years now.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    The easiest/cheapest/bestest target stand (for use with the pipes in the ground) is simple: two pieces of 1"x2" that are 6' long. Here's how it works.

1. Make up your target on cardboard: staple or tape the target to the cardboard.

2. Declare line safe. Place your two 1x2 sticks into the ground pipes.

3. Hold your target cardboard up against the sticks at the height you like, and punch three staples through the cardboard down each side. The cardboard adds structural rigidity to the entire piece. It's very stable.

4. Go hot and blaze away.

That's all there is to it. To break down, pop your cardboard off the sticks. It is easier if you use staples no longer than 3/8". BONUS! Carrying two 1x2s in your vehicle is a whole lot simpler than carrying a wooden frame that's 24" wide and 72" long.

Shoot safely and have fun.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jtlambo

Latest threads

Top Bottom