• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    This can happen with steel chains, because you hit the bolt holding the chain to the gong :innocent0, or with leather or rubber hangars.

If you think you will hit the attachment points, get a bigger gong!

Many people are going with a setup like this for a 4x4 post: http://www.rogueshootingtargets.com/20-deg-steel-target-holder/

I have seen these cheaper, I cannot recall where offhand.

For a base there a a few options: Sawhorse style brackets; build a frame to out the 4x4 post into (either wood, or PVC pipe). PVC pipe can be snapped together and comes apart, you don't have to glue it.

Eventually we will be able to use the railroad ties, but not quite yet I think.

Also: those aluminum carabineers holding the chain to the gong wont last very long. The hot lead spray will destroy them. :innocent0:

I don't think gong size matters. More like sheer luck.

Here's a 12" gong. You can see how the bullet grazed one of the gong's ears before precisely taking out the washer.

I managed to nail it at a 100 yards, on my very first shot, with a red-dot that was actually rattling loose on the rail. Sheer dumb luck.

Attachments

• upload.jpg
      upload.jpg
      36.6 KB · Views: 344

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I hear that the rail road ties that the AGC is adding on the Barnes range at 100 yards is going to have mounts attached to the back that will take both the standard 12 3/4 inch center to center frames and also a mount that will allow a 2 by 4. It seems like a good way to for steel targets is to use a single 2X4 with a fixed steel plate.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    FYI,
    They are finally implementing rail road ties at the 100 yard line so all the lanes will be like the bench rest area.
    They are putting in "loops" as the RSO described. You will be able to put your 14" spaced (end to end) target frames or a 2x4 into the loop in the center.
    The 2x4 mount is so you don't have to bring a stand, you just drop your 2x4 into it and you can have a rigid non swinging gong on top

I use saw horse clamps now, but will switch to rigid plastic saw horse for the hanging gongs.
    I got a 12x20" torso gong for when the new system is in place.

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    We've shot a lot of gongs off their chains. What works is 3/8 chain, attach to gong and eye bolts with 3/8 cold shuts. http://www.e-rigging.com/cold-shuts. They're chain repair links you pound closed. Theres a youtube video of a guy using them. If you want to go the extra mile, weld after closing, but it's not necessary.

braraigh

Aug 13, 2016
    These work very well...

https://www.ar500targetsolutions.com/shop/
    You can get them on Amazon as well.

I didn't buy a metal base but made one out of 2x3s I had in my garage instead. It works but it does take a lot of shrapnel and wouldn't want to pull it in and out of the back of a car as it also get pretty muddy. Mine is very stable even with a large silhouette hanging but is too big (~30" x 40") to get into the trunk of a normal size car. Thankfully I have a pickup. I'm contemplating adding an additional vertical mount so that I can put two targets up at once...only problem is carrying all of it out to the line, I will need a cart!

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    I just got an e-mail today and it states the RR Ties are going in (or at least started) on the Oct 16th work Day 8am 12 noon:

G'Day,

Its that time again. The AGC is conducting a range clean up day on Sunday, 16 October from 0800-1200.

You're receiving this mail because you in the past have shown interest, participated or have responded
    to recent announcements.

Please share this with as many AGC members as possible. Thank you.

An Overview:

0630-0745: The day starts at Memorial Hall for a hardy breakies (breakfast)......typically coffee, OJ, pancakes and sausage paddies.
    There you should sign in to receive range credit if you are working in the upper range area. Please donate generously for the sustenance.

0745: Barnes Range House for sign in to receive range credit and work assignments.

1200: Work ends and the ranges open.

1230: Lunch is served for workers only. Another hardy reward for a good morning's work. Please donate generously to off-set the cost of chow.

Specific Ranges:

Trap: Rick "Sea Legs" Hensley has organized work on the trap ranges and surrounding area. If he has contacted you, you know what
    to do. If you wish to know what is to be done, please contact Rick directly; please wait a couple of days before doing so. He returns from
    his high seas adventure tomorrow..

Pistol: Ed "Trigger" Grove has a list of things needed to be done on the pistol range including semi-annual maintenance of the target frame hardware,
    adding gutter and downspout to complete work after the shed roof was damaged, replacing a broken pane of glass, repairing electrical conduit and a
    few other item I don't recall. Dead fall will be removed from the right impact berm.

100/200 Yard Ranges and Vicinities:

200 Yard Range - Firing line needs organization and grounds need sprucing up. There is dead fall to the left that needs to be chain sawed and
    removed. The water way to the left needs clearing of deadfall/debris which has been dumped. A 6x6 timber needs to be set to act as a lock
    point. Brass need to be dumped (see note below). Downspout needs replacing and gutters cleaned of debris. The mow line needs to be walked
    and inspected for obstructions before widening with a bush hog or mower.

Stone Work Grill: There is a stone cooking grill just a few yards off the AGC Lane. It is in need of repair/pointing up. Is there a mason willing to
    do the job? Area around the grill need to be mowed for total access.

ATV/UTV Road (parallel to Marriottsville Road). Two 6x6 timbers need to be set to act as lock points across the egress.

100 Yard Range - Biggest job is moving and setting in place railroad ties at the 100 yard line; surveying in place and mounting new target frame
    hardware (need some burley dudes here).
    Berm between the 100 and 200 yard line needs the climbing vines cut and left in place for spring removal.
    Firing line needs all casings to be cleaned up and disposed of. 50 gal plastic barrel needs to be emptied of all shells. Excess 50 gal plastic barrels
    need to be stored behind Memorial Hall. Need rovers to drive around and remove clutter around buildings for disposal. Volunteers? Firing line needs
    organization. Grounds and tables/benches need to be organized. Clutter (tools rack) around Range Control Tower need relocating to the vicinity of
    Memorial Hall. Open storage of club equipment or materials will be disposed of. Remove old handicapped signs and posts and replace with new
    posts and signs at the end of the parking lot closest to the 200 yard range. Reset timber curbing in the same location. FTO building needs stain on
    the new rakes and fascia and if that work has been accomplished beforehand, new gutters and downspouts installed.

AGC Signage: There are several signs which are in need of repainting and repair. A volunteer please to inspect and report in writing - a spring
    project.

Tools: I'll generate a tool wish list and guide for attire in a couple of days. I want the dust to settle after this hits the streets. Also, if you desire
    a specific task, please mention that as well.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: During the cleanup dumpster space will be a premium. There is one located on the lower range and two located on the
    upper range. These are for rubbish. No need to discriminate recycling. There is a "metal only" dumpster behind Memorial Hall which is for
    you guessed it, metal only. When disposing of debris/clutter please avoid overfilling/topping off the dumpsters and flatten all bulky items if possible.
    Lumber/timber will be chipped if possible. Sites for refuse will be identified for drivers.

Work around the range is never ending. In the spring, there are vines to pull and dispose of, power washing to be done, painting of various
    objects/buildings and repair of the 100 and 200 yard line shed roof just to mention a few.

Lastly, please RSVP ASAP so we can figure adjustments for food and "hands on" for tasks listed above. Don't be surprised if Rick or Ed asks
    you to assist in another location to level out the work load or vice versa..

rsideout

MDS Supporter
    Dec 11, 2009
    MD - Capital Region
    I just got an e-mail today and it states the RR Ties are going in (or at least started) on the Oct 16th work Day 8am 12 noon:

G'Day,

Its that time again. The AGC is conducting a range clean up day on Sunday, 16 October from 0800-1200.

You're receiving this mail because you in the past have shown interest, participated or have responded
    to recent announcements.

100 Yard Range - Biggest job is moving and setting in place railroad ties at the 100 yard line; surveying in place and mounting new target frame
    hardware (need some burley dudes here).

Leverage is your friend.
    I ran the group in the Spring that installed the new RR ties and frame holders at the right end of the 100 yard range. 6 of us installed these in about 3-1/2 hours. 9 target stations.. We had to pull up the old RR ties, which was Very time consuming. It should go faster in the areas with no existing ties. The operation will be laying out and leveling the grade to pin the RR ties. An appliance hand truck works really well for lifting and moving the ties. We used 24" pieces of rebar to anchor the RR ties along with 8" timber lags to attach the ties end to end. AGC provided the rebar and I bought the timber lags anticipating that we might need something that could draw the ends in tight. Both are needed. Tools that will be needed are a powerful drill with 12" long bit, an impact drill, chain saw, shovels, pry bars, string line, tape measure, sledge hammer, saw horses, spray paint for layout, and a generator. The target frame holders were made up ahead of time by another AGC member. The front row of RR Ties are they older ones that were pulled up. They are in front to take the bulk of the damage from low rounds.

At this point, I'm Not sure if I'll be able to make it out there on the 16th.

Attachments

• IMG_6345.JPG
      IMG_6345.JPG
      76.8 KB · Views: 285
    • IMG_6344.JPG
      IMG_6344.JPG
      111.1 KB · Views: 279
    • IMG_6346.JPG
      IMG_6346.JPG
      98 KB · Views: 312
    Last edited:

CSHS

Apr 21, 2015
    I've seen a lot of ingenious gong stands at AGC. Here's mine, definitely not the best. But it takes a beating and was basically built from one 2x4.

It's a 10" gong. The top is 20". The legs are 36" each, ripped 1.5" x 1.5". The legs are rounded over and secured to the top with a 5/16" threaded rod (about $3 for a 3' piece). Cut the rod about 6" each. Drill a 1/4" hole in the top and screw in the rod about halfway.

I welded the wing nuts to the washers so I wouldn't lose them in the field.

The side supports are 24" 1x2s, mounted about 15" up from leg bottom. Extra hole on the end to secure it when folded (pics 5-6).

The stance is 34". Whack with a 30-06, not gonna fall down. Like earlier posts mentioned, wear gloves. You can see the damage/shrapnel in the last pic. It's taken a lot of hits, haven't had to repair it yet.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      53 KB · Views: 284
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      46.9 KB · Views: 274
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      45.6 KB · Views: 287
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      41.3 KB · Views: 286
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      29.8 KB · Views: 285
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      47.5 KB · Views: 285
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      43.1 KB · Views: 279
    • 8.jpg
      8.jpg
      110.2 KB · Views: 302

EKing

NRA Benefactor
    Aug 12, 2016
    Sykesville
    After one burned out drill, one broken shovel and a few choice words, we got the RR ties put in today. There were a lot of people helping and we finished installing the ties and brackets for positions 50-90.

No more lugging the PVC legs out to 100 because the holes are filled in with dirt, just put your target stand in the metal brackets. Every other position (odds or evens, I can't remember) has a double duty bracket that will accept your frame or a 2x4 for steel certified members.

Thanks to Pat Koehler for organizing another successful Range Work Day.

GunnerGunz

Sunken Treasure
    Mar 2, 2010
    Reisterstown
    After one burned out drill, one broken shovel and a few choice words, we got the RR ties put in today. There were a lot of people helping and we finished installing the ties and brackets for positions 50-90.

No more lugging the PVC legs out to 100 because the holes are filled in with dirt, just put your target stand in the metal brackets. Every other position (odds or evens, I can't remember) has a double duty bracket that will accept your frame or a 2x4 for steel certified members.

Yes good job to all that helped, I was assigned Brass Detail on the 100 range. Damn not many reload I guess. Oh and great to see the dudes with full auto shooting, sounded great.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County

I was told that it's the even numbered lanes that have the additional 2x4 brackets.

Yes, Pat did an excellent job :thumbsup:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Great work guys!

Question on the 2x4 mounting. Does the 2x4 go in so the 4" or the 2" side is facing the shooter?
    This makes a difference as my target may be facing sideways if I don't use the correct facing mounting bracket for my fixed 12x20 plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom