• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    I'm thinking about buying a metal target base and putting my own 2x4 structure on top. So buying something like this.

Any AGC goers know if it would be a issue, considering its metal? I showed a friend and he's expecting a resounding hell no from staff.

linkstate

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Howard County
    I’m a member at AGC. I can’t answer your specific question but if this will be for paper targets, 2x4s seem like overkill. I use 1x2 furring strips like the target frames AGC sells and they work great. Keep some wood glue, dowels and thin scraps of wood at home to patch her up from time to time.

If you are new to AGC, I suggest visualizing how you will setup your stand for real. Carrying everything from your car to the line, how long to setup during a ceasefire, etc.

For the record, it looks like a nice stand and also takes 1x2s. I’d be interested in the answer as well.

When I first joined I bought one of the AGC frames. I still use the bottom half 10 or so years later. I made the top half wider to accept a standard sheet of corrugated plastic.

martman

MDS Supporter
    Jun 2, 2017
    Welp, just noticed shipping is $64. So thats a no...

Id take a 1x2 version, I just happen to have a lot of scrap 2x4s laying around.

I'm thinking about buying a metal target base and putting my own 2x4 structure on top. So buying something like this.

Any AGC goers know if it would be a issue, considering its metal? I showed a friend and he's expecting a resounding hell no from staff.
    I use a very similar one on the 200yd range and have never had an issue with RSO's. Technically it is capable of deflecting a bullet, which is AGC prohibited.

ETA- Mine is aluminum.

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    For paper targets at AGC, it could work. But the base part that touches the ground might be too small. A wind can take it down if you have a cardboard piece as the backing thatyou put you target on it. But I see couple holes where you can put stakes to keep it firm..???

Those slots might be 1x2, but at Home Depot unless you are getting really expensive wood, the wood is actually like .75x1.5 for the 1x2 pinewood strips. They have target base at the range for you to use, but if there are people, they might be using it and you are out of luck.

I have this and put some wood on it. Probably should have made it longer but…it works but it did tilt on me once when it was heavy wind. Last image is the agc target stand. It is sturdy and make your target about 6-10 inches taller

Attachments

• 9E7DCFB1-C06C-4A4D-8424-36B1420A486E.jpeg
      9E7DCFB1-C06C-4A4D-8424-36B1420A486E.jpeg
      398.5 KB · Views: 60
    • 04EDD3EF-954C-4F4B-80D8-8A7FD91D5034.jpeg
      04EDD3EF-954C-4F4B-80D8-8A7FD91D5034.jpeg
      363.8 KB · Views: 61
    • F2D9F859-4D81-4CB8-9992-5DA53B02165B.jpeg
      F2D9F859-4D81-4CB8-9992-5DA53B02165B.jpeg
      636.7 KB · Views: 61

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    The AGC target frames are simple to make.. someone posted this way back. Only caveat is that it needs to be placed in the provided holes at the range (thinking more the 100yd range, I made a pvc sand filled base that I use on the pistol range to place it wherever I want).

target_frame_14_inch_base (2) color inverted.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Wolfloc22

Latest threads

Top Bottom