After Marine veteran makes rescue, Baltimore police file gun charges against him

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Star Trek > Star Wars, always and forever. However:

giphy.webp
    Why you wanna pick a fight, bro?

bjmsam

The Skeptic
    That's not what it meant then
    That's correct, as previously acknowledged. I was intrigued that the same word as defined for modern use remains central to discussion of government control over constitutional rights but should have resisted that play on this forum to avoid unnecessary distraction.

And we're the ones who don't understand....:sad20:
    ...so to get this discussion back on track, I will rephrase without words that on this forum should be used only as defined in the 18th century:

1. Does legal control of who can bear what, where, when, why or how constitute violation of rights in all cases, or only some?

2. How can such cases be clarified more comprehensively before individuals (such as this Marine Veteran) are forced to test them and endure the consequences (which tend to be severe even when ultimately found innocent)?

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    Please research the meaning of the phrase “well regulated” instead of looking at the current definitions of “regulated”. They are very different.

Crazytrain

Certified Grump
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 8, 2007
    Sparks, MD
    It’s easy to say “if a violent felon is allowed to carry and he shoots me”, but it’s not to easy to say “if a violent felon is allowed to carry and he shoots my child”. So no, in my opinion, and probably most people with children, a proven, violent felon, who is walking around free, shouldn’t carry.
    Such a good idea. We need to make a law that violent felons should not be allowed to carry. That will solve all of our problems.

Well, most of our problems. After all, not everyone who is violent has been caught yet. So we should bar anyone who we think might be violent from carrying as well. Just in case.

But that might not fly. Too ripe for racial and socioeconomic discrimination. And we might miss someone. The only safe thing is to make sure that no one can carry. I'm sure if we make a law to that effect the world will be a much safer place. It's for the children.

Since I love my guns more than I love children (just ask the Democrats) my alternate opinion should be ignored. But, I figure that if people are dangerous, they should probably be incarcerated. If we feel they have paid their price to society they should get their rights back. If they were sentenced to 20 years and get out on parole in 7, their debt isn't clear until their entire sentence is up. Regardless, if we are going to let folks out of prison they need to have a road to redemption, otherwise we are just waiting for them to hurt others so we can throw them back in the slammer, and we might as well have just left them there. Removing anyone's rights for the children is to step foot on a path that leads to nowhere good. Once children are invoked as a reason to do anything, they will be invoked as a reason to do everything. This has been well demonstrated over the past several decades.

Let's walk this through. If someone at twenty years of age robs a liquor store, gets caught, and spends time in prison, should he permanently lose his rights to self defense? There is an almost 100% chance that when he gets out he will end up in a low-socioeconomic, high crime neighborhood where risk of assault is very high. Is he not allowed to defend himself? What about if he learns a trade, gets his act together, and spends the next forty years as a productive and honest member of society. At 60 will he not have earned redemption? We really need to give these folks a way out. Most won't take it, of course, and will likely spend their entire, likely short, lives in and out of the can; but if there isn't a way back to the light side of the force how can we expect them to rehabilitate?

The execution by wild animals on live TV is probably appropriate for the worst of the worst. Unfortunately I don't trust the government on much. I used to be pro capital punishment. I no longer think I trust them with that power. Especially when torture is involved. Even if the miscreants fully deserve it.

bjmsam

The Skeptic
    Please research the meaning of the phrase “well regulated” instead of looking at the current definitions of “regulated”. They are very different.
    Yes, they are, as acknowledged previously. For additional clarity, to my earlier post I have appended my understanding of that 2A phrase based on my reading of Cottrol's book and relevant Federalist papers (29 and 46, IIRC) about ten years ago when I joined this forum.

I figure that if people are dangerous, they should probably be incarcerated. If we feel they have paid their price to society they should get their rights back.
    This makes sense, though to your point about trust, it is imperative that such decisions be made objectively and consistently. Laws regulating restricting possession of firearms (or any potential weapon) are unlikely to influence dangerous people, previously convicted or not, who are willing to break more serious ones.

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    1. Does regulation (legal control) of who can bear what, where, when, why or how constitute infringement (violation of rights) in all cases, or only some? This was among the examples I offered:

2. How can such cases be clarified more comprehensively before individuals (such as this Marine Veteran) are forced to test them and endure the consequences (which tend to be severe even when ultimately found innocent)?
    I'm not sure what you are even asking, because, like Owen Lift, I'm fat and stupid.

Carrying a gun state to state should be like carrying a Milky Way bar state to state.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    the true bad guys are caught and released (and caught and released, and caught and released...). the good guys get the book thrown at them.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    If convicted, Larry Hogan needs to pardon this guy
    Larry Hogan won't be Governor when this goes to trial. And what make you think that RINO would pardon anyone that did the right thing but was arrested anyway?

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Larry Hogan won't be Governor when this goes to trial. And what make you think that RINO would pardon anyone that did the right thing but was arrested anyway?
    If he plead guilty there'd be time for a pardon. But he would need to be d*mn sure that pardon was coming before he stood up in front of the judge to admit guilt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom