• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BMassBMore

Apr 22, 2013
    Baltimore
    I'm currently waiting for "not disapproved" on an app submitted 4/16 (waited 49 days so far). The FFL I used will not release until ND comes back from MSP.

I would like to purchase another regulated handgun, and am hoping to find a dealer who will release after 8 days. I'm even willing to buy an unregulated long gun to prove I can pass a NICS if that ensures I can avoid these ridiculous wait times.

If I can manage to get an 8 day release, am I basically ensuring I have to wait at least 38 additional days before I can take possession of my prior purchase?

Any advice on anything I should consider doing differently?

Feb 28, 2013
    The additional 38 days for your first purchase may be a given anyway, so I'd say go ahead and do it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    You CANNOT take possession of a regulated firearm within 30 days of previously taking possession of a regulated firearms unless you are a Designated Collector. So, you will have a 30 day wait from the time you take possession of the new handgun under the 8 day release program.

Me, I would get this application in the pipeline ASAP. Might as well get a second app going while you can.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    You CANNOT take possession of a regulated firearm within 30 days of previously taking possession of a regulated firearms unless you are a Designated Collector. So, you will have a 30 day wait from the time you take possession of the new handgun under the 8 day release program.

Me, I would get this application in the pipeline ASAP. Might as well get a second app going while you can.

Does this apply to non-regulated firearms, i.e., cash & carry, something like, oh, a Marlin 60?

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    No limit on receipt of non-regulated firearms (most shotguns and "hunting" rifles). You may get some funny looks though.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    There used to be some reporting requirements if you bought more than one gun in a day. But no wait, just the FFL reporting to the ATF so they can track down straw purchases.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    No limit on receipt of non-regulated firearms (most shotguns and "hunting" rifles). You may get some funny looks though.

Awesome. What about the intersection of one regulated firearm in the pipe and one non-regulated firearm purchase?

Sorry, it's the programmer in me talking. :)

Idempotent

Zombies' Worst Nightmare
    Apr 12, 2010
    The way I understand it, the word "purchase" in the law refers to taking possession of a firearm. So as long as you do not receive possession of more than one firearm within a 30 day period, then you are okay. So you can fill out as many applications as you'd like and get them all into the pipeline, so long as you space out the receipt of those guns once the approvals finally come back. Of course, the approvals can expire, so there's a practical limit to this. Don't have more than a few in the pipeline at once, because the apps will start expiring soon than you can take possession of the firearms.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    The way I understand it, the word "purchase" in the law refers to taking possession of a firearm.

My question was "any firearm" or "any regulated firearm"?

For example, I have a Walther P22 in the queue* and am looking to pick up a Marlin 60.

The P22 is regulated, and the Marlin 60 is cash & carry. The question is "when can I legally purchase and receieve the Marlin 60?"

I am assuming that as above the answer is "your P22 purchase has no bearing on the Marlin 60 purchase" and that means I can infer that the answer to the top question is "any regulated firearm" as the Marlin 60 is not "regulated" per se.

Or I can simply go "yeah I'm waiting more than 62** days anyway", pick up the Marlin 60 when I'm at day 31 in the queue, and call it a day.

* don't judge me.
    ** fenceposting ftw

buzzsaw

Ultimate Member
    Feb 26, 2013
    Hagerstown
    My question was "any firearm" or "any regulated firearm"?

For example, I have a Walther P22 in the queue* and am looking to pick up a Marlin 60.

The P22 is regulated, and the Marlin 60 is cash & carry. The question is "when can I legally purchase and receieve the Marlin 60?"

I am assuming that as above the answer is "your P22 purchase has no bearing on the Marlin 60 purchase" and that means I can infer that the answer to the top question is "any regulated firearm" as the Marlin 60 is not "regulated" per se.

Or I can simply go "yeah I'm waiting more than 62** days anyway", pick up the Marlin 60 when I'm at day 31 in the queue, and call it a day.

* don't judge me.
    ** fenceposting ftw

You can pick up the Marlin 60 any time - it would NOT affect the 30 day time frame.

Here's a corollary -

Let's say you have a Glock 21 and a Glock 19 in the queue, and one day, JoeBobJimmyJoe calls you up and says "Hey, broseph, come get your first gun!" You go sign your papers, take your first plinker home, and rejoice. That 30-day clock starts that day for taking possession of the OTHER regulated gun.

Five days later, you decide you also want to get a nice little 12ga. so you waltz into JoeBobJimmyJoe's Gun Shack and Jerkey Emporium again. Plunk down your $350 for a Benelli Nova (sorry, I'm biased towards 'nelli's when it comes to shotguns). He calls up FBI, pockets your benjamins, and you walk home the proud owner of a new pump gun, hopefully no questions asked. Because this is a non-regulated firearm, it does NOT get held 25 days, and it does NOT restart the clock.

You still have that 25 days left over to wait on that second handgun though.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Meanwhile in the deceased equine S&M department : Designated Collector Letter. Free. Arrives faster than a ND by substantial margin. Even if you only use it once , it is well worth the price of the stamp to get it.

Benanov

PM Bomber
    May 15, 2013
    Shrewsbury, PA
    Meanwhile in the deceased equine S&M department : Designated Collector Letter. Free. Arrives faster than a ND by substantial margin. Even if you only use it once , it is well worth the price of the stamp to get it.

I've read elsewhere that a DC letter is sent to review if you don't have a previous ND. I was under the impression that they held all the cards.

It seems like that it's not always the case...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom