• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    I'm looking for advice on how to sell non-regulated firearms in MD. I know I don't need to use an FFL, but are there some tips and pointers on how to safely sell a non-regulated firearm to another MD resident?

Where to complete the transaction?
    Fill out any paperwork?
    How do I know the person is legit?
    Things to look out for?
    Should I go through an FFL to play it safe?

Also, do gun stores purchase firearms? What should I expect if I try to sell to a gun store? Are they going to lowball on the price? Do they give cash or store credit?

Sorry for all the questions. I've only purchased firearms...I've never had to sell.

smokedog

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2009
    Frederick Md
    You could list it here in the classifieds. Fill out a bill of sale stating they are legally allowed to own firearms in Md, there not a felon and copy all there personal information and have them sign it.
    What are you selling? pm me if you want:D

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    I'd get drivers license, and a signed statement as mentioned.
    Even though it's the camel's nose thing, I believe we should have to do this:
    1. with a Designated Collector or C&R.
    2. with an FFl ($10)
    3. with Maryland State Police.
    If we are all legit, I know it's an infringement, "but if we could save just one life.."
    ahhh B.S. it would be good press.
    I'd love to know exactly how many have been killed
    by unregulated weapons (guns, not knives)
    in the State of MD, homicides, not suicides.
    I would think only a very, very few - if any.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Maybe take a picture of seller w/ weapon?
    I meant to say write the serial # on the bill of sale.

jaybee

Ultimate Member
    Without the BS

easest - take it to a gun shop - they can buy it or take it on consignment and take % - you can actually make more money

deal with people - list it here - more dollars maybe - deal with people - meet at a walmart of your choice - have him stand outside of his car - you will see him pretty easy

thye have cameras in the lot

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    You will not do well selling to a shop. If you want to go that route, do consignment. The dealer typically takes .20%. If you sell, they will make 40% or more
    On consignment, it is in thier best interest to get you the best price.

If you sell. Advertise here. I met in a Royal Farms parking lot.

NateIU10

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2009
    Southport, CT
    List it on here or find a buyer. Meet them at a parking lot of a convenient big box store. Get a feel for the person, and if comfortable, hand them firearm after he hands you cash. I don't do more paperwork than legally required.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yes dealer will often purchase outright , depending on how it relates to their current inventory , and projected needs. The usual rule of thumb ( for legit , non- ripoff dealers ) is to pay aprox 2/3rds of what their asking price for it as a used gun would be , at least for guns in average $ value range. Very expensive or very cheap will have different considerations. Consignments typically 20% . Consignments pay you either when sold , or 30days after. Selling outright gets you paid on the spot.

Back in the days when I commonly indulged in face to face private transactions typically it involved either people I knew well ( or their family members ) , or people I worked with who I knew had passed security screenings.

tatoocrab

Sep 20, 2010
    tracy's landing / beltsville
    When I buy a gun I like to meet somewhere that they sell guns like Bass Pro parking lot works
    for me. I would not meet at someone house I don't know. Big reason if they get rob in the following weeks I know who they think did it. I don't want to be on that list.

Hey what do you have for sale?

pakman916

Apr 23, 2011
    MoCo, MD
    Thanks for the advice everyone.

I actually sold one gun before, but it was to someone I knew. I did the bill of sales anyway and got a copy of his drivers license to be safe.

This would be the first time selling to a stranger. I'm just want to make sure I'm doing it right and not missing anything.

I'm selling a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle and a Ruger Mini-14 Tactical Rifle. I have a buyer for the Gunsite. And I have interest in the Mini-14.

Although I understand the safety of meeting in a public place, wouldn't that look weird to people in the parking lot? And what if the police pass by? Is it okay to conduct the sale of a firearm in a public place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom