• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dohc97

Nov 4, 2007
    Derwood
    As I grow older, will be 67 in a few months, I notice that I am becoming more sensitive to recoil. Last time I was at the range, I had with me my sig P210, Beretta Centurion, SW 5906, and Walther PDP F. I felt that the plastic Walther was a lot snappier than my 3 metal guns I had with me. Majority of my handguns are metal framed but I have a few that are plastic framed; Glock 19, Walther PDP/PPQ, HK P30. Is the 380 a lot less snappy than a plastic 9? I have never shot a 380. I am particularly looking at the Beretta 85 series.

KingClown

SOmething Witty
    Jul 29, 2020
    Deep Blue MD
    Less recoil yes, But I dont think its alot less. Especially if you are using hot self defense rounds. 380 uses the same bullet as 9mm literally so you still have to get the same mass moving. If you are a reloader you can just load 9mm a little light. I do that for my mother she loves to shoot but at 78 years old she was having trouble so I made her some rounds that are loaded as light as safely possible and still cycle the slide and eject and she loves it.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Check out the new Ruger Security 380. Video reviewers on YouTube say it's one of the softest shooting 380s out there.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Most if not all of the "classic" .380s use straight blowback, meaning the breech is not locked. This tends to make the recoil more violent. Newer .380s are using the same locking systems you find in the bigger 9mms, .45s.... you know, real guns.

I've always been surprised at how much recoil I feel from blowback 9mm Makarovs and even a .32. I'm not sure if the Beretta you mention has an unlocked breech, but I'll bet it does.

As mentioned, Ruger and Smith and Wesson have several locked breech models you might want to research, but don't rush out and buy one without trying one first.

By the way, .380 ammo is a bit pricier than 9mm Luger, because of lower demand, I suppose. You also give up a LOT ballistically.

XCheckR

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    HdG
    My wife has a bersa 380 (thunder) and I find it snappy. She doesn't like it as much as her Walther 9mm. That's the only 380 data point I have.

Btw. If you grow tired of the 5906 let me know. It's on my wish list. :)

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    As mentioned , straight blowback .380 have more recoil than locked breach .
    The Beretta 85 & related have less than the more compact ones , just because of the comparitive size & weight . * To me * it is less than a 9mm , but that's subjective in my hand , etc , etc . Can't speak first hand as to the latest locked breach Shield , etc .

Meanwhile , what ammo are you using in your 9mm's ? 115gr std velocity will have the least recoil of common 9mm ammo .

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    I have a couple of 380's and I think they are snappier than my 9mm's. If you are looking for something less punishing on your hand, don't switch to 380 without testing the one you want to buy first.

Ellis Gordon

gordoninmontgomerycounty
    Jan 25, 2016
    Bethesda, MD
    Take a look at the brand new Beretta .380 Cheetah 80X. It was introduced at Shot Show 2023. The Handgun roster board considered the pistol at the 3/8/2023 board meeting. The meeting minutes have not been published, but I would assume that the Cheetah 80X was approved for the roster.

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    My Beretta 85 has a bark but is very controllable. Single stack so it's slim. The 84 was the double stack 380. Also have an 81 which is the double stack 32; that thing is a pop gun comparatively.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I love my Sig Sauer P238 HD. 7+1 with aftermarket magazine.
    All stainless steel, tritium iron sights, thousands of rounds and it's never had a hiccup.

aWR0aD02MDA

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Davech1831

Latest threads

Top Bottom