• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Flounder817

Jun 22, 2022
    MD
    Born and raised in MD. Enlisted in 2014 in the Navy and headed to VA. While there I purchased a few firearms and handguns. Got orders to MD. Maryland has always been my “residence,” since I grew up here. Even when I owned a house in VA, MD was still considered my residence. If I bring the guns to MD on base, do I have to register them through MD? I plan to register on base but do I have to register through the state? I’ll likely get new orders in a few years to go somewhere else?

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    Normal active duty personnel are exempt from having to register anything with MD typically because it’s people who maintain residency elsewhere and are only stationed here.

I assume you have a MD drivers license? Registered to vote here? If so then pretty sure the answer would be, yes, “you’re supposed to”. I’m not sure where anyone ever cares or ask about said registration. I’ve never heard of it. On post definitely doesn’t care.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    I suspect the answer is if nothing happens, nobody would find out. OTOH, if there's anything that attracts attention... for example a domestic violence complaint, even if unfounded, it may cause problems.

Maybe you get a charge you otherwise wouldn't incur, or maybe it would make it difficult or impossible to get them back if they are taken temporarily.

If you object to registering them with the state, perhaps you should consider storing the handguns out of state.

Can you leave them in the armory of the base you are at now, or are you required to take them when you go through your check out process? What do people do with their firearms when they deploy or PCS to a ship, or PCS overseas?

IANAL.

Flounder817

Jun 22, 2022
    MD
    Yes. MD drivers license but have lived out of MD for more years as an adult than IN and will likely move again. My peers and superiors advised registering them in MD isn’t necessary, just on base but I wanted to be sure.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    I suspect the answer is if nothing happens, nobody would find out. OTOH, if there's anything that attracts attention... for example a domestic violence complaint, even if unfounded, it may cause problems.

Maybe you get a charge you otherwise wouldn't incur, or maybe it would make it difficult or impossible to get them back if they are taken temporarily.

If you object to registering them with the state, perhaps you should consider storing the handguns out of state.

Can you leave them in the armory of the base you are at now, or are you required to take them when you go through your check out process? What do people do with their firearms when they deploy or PCS to a ship, or PCS overseas?

IANAL.
    If living on post, a "domestic violence" charge isn't going to cause any problems. If they are registered on base that's all an MP cares about.

Most people don't live in barracks, so they would leave firearms in their residence. Those who do live in barracks have access to storage in the arms room, yes.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    If living on post, a "domestic violence" charge isn't going to cause any problems. If they are registered on base that's all an MP cares about.

Most people don't live in barracks, so they would leave firearms in their residence. Those who do live in barracks have access to storage in the arms room, yes.

You're allowed to keep firearms in your base residence?

My knowledge is out of date now, but I have lived on bases in the past where that was definitely not allowed.

Hibs

Ultimate Member
    Dec 23, 2015
    Maryland
    You're allowed to keep firearms in your base residence?

My knowledge is out of date now, but I have lived on bases in the past where that was definitely not allowed.
    It is definitely allowed. No restrictions whatsoever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom