Active Duty military, face to face transfer?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Superstellar

Oct 9, 2011
    Bethesda
    Question, this must've been covered before, but I am an active duty military member with current orders to a Maryland duty station. By ATF guidelines those confers residency here. I am interested in purchasing a non-regulated .22 rifle; my interpretation of the regulations is that it can be done face to face with a Maryland resident? Or is a FFL required for some reason?

Anybody have thoughts? Thanks in advance!

mopar92

Official MDS Court Jester
    May 5, 2011
    Taneytown
    Likely has to go through an FFL but I'm not a lawyer. I am a citizen though so thank you for your service.

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    I think as long as you have PCS orders in MD and are a Maryland resident there would be little to question. IANAL but it sounds legal to me and I do know just a little about firearms laws.

If you're really concerned you and the seller can always just drive to an FFL and pay a few bucks to just do a 4473/NICS check transfer there. I'd wager that a number of them wouldn't charge you much under the circumstances, and even if they did 30 or 40 bucks is well worth it for the peace of mind if you're concerned. Just my .02.

psycosteve

Meme magic works!!!
    Sep 3, 2012
    Gentrfying the Hagersbush.
    Non regulated does not require an FFL but you should get a copy of the other persons ID and a bill of sale for your protection . In Md you can still do person to person transfers but they are heavily frond upon.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Some suggest you should make a simple bill of sale, but the more I think about it, if you have any reservation about the person you are dealing with don't do it. It's easier and probably more polite to simply ask the for their drivers license number if you insist/want some record of the transaction.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Have your orders. I saw a military member denied at dicks for a shotgun. her MD license was expired but would have been ok with orders and not id alone.

Sent from my phone from somewhere in the world.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    guitarsit

Latest threads

Top Bottom