• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    AAC's cleaning instructions say to use Scotch Brite pads and solvent to clean the aluminum baffles. They truly specify only Scotch Brite pads.

My questions are:

1. What grit do I use when using the Scotch Brite pads?

2. Is any solvent okay to use? I have some Hoppe's #9 bore solvent, will that work?

Thanks. I haven't had to clean my suppressor yet so I want to make sure I don't destroy it.

SWO Daddy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2011
    Some diluted simple green works great for me. I'd just get the green cleaning pads ("greenie weenies") from the grocery store.

Tip: Wear rubber gloves and don't be anal about getting them completely clean if you value your sanity. Also, pick up some spare o-rings if you haven't already.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I thought Scotch Brite pads came on the back of sponges, but there are industrial pads without the sponge. Aluminum is soft, use the finest you can get.

There was a thread about cleaning supressors and I came away with the impression that it was rarely needed for centerfire. I don't have one so don't take my word for it.

Bad things on the internet about ultrasonics, simple green or the "dip" of vinegar and peroxide and aluminum.

Mineral spirits are safe AFAIK

rouchna

Defund the ATF
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 25, 2009
    Virginia
    Thank you. What about using solvent? AAC mentions using a solvent. I want to make sure I follow their instructions in case I ever have to send it in for warranty work.

Bosun52

Apr 10, 2014
    I have posted about using balistol, long soak and wipe down. Works great, non toxic. Use it on my Surefire Ryder 22a. Good luck...

smg1231

Dec 15, 2012
    Ellicott City
    I soak my baffles in mpro7 solvent for a few hours and then scrub with a stiff gun cleaning brush. It gets it clean enough. I would avoid using any ammonia based solvents on the aluminum baffles.

friendlyhippo

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 7, 2015
    Glen Burnout
    How often does one need to clean a center fire suppressor like the tiRant ?

It depends on what you shoot through it. Most people will either go by volume (if the can doesn't seem as quiet as it used to) or by weight (the can is noticeably heavier than it should be). If you shoot rimfire ammo through it, you'll be wanting to clean it fairly often; usually every few hundred rounds. If you're sticking to centerfire, typically that will lengthen the round count between cleanings as the higher pressures tend to blow at least some of the crud out. Ultimately it comes down to user preference. It's not a bad idea to at least disassemble (assuming user-serviceable, which the suppressor in the OP is) and inspect after a range session just to see how things look.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ObsidianCC

Latest threads

Top Bottom