• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If you can make it to the Essen Room meetup, perhaps you can explain this thread to me

I've no truck with click bait thread titles, and OPs that contain nothing more than a link
    I agree that a few more words in the OP's post would be the polite thing to do. That said (and an Essen Room visit not withstanding!):

1) Anti-2A people, today, like to pretend they can't do a little homework and parse the 2A's plain language in context in which it was written at the time. They use this fake misunderstanding as a crutch for any number of infringement maneuvers. A classic being the "well regulated" phrase, which - despite Bloomberg's greatest wish - doesn't have anything to do with "regulating" gun ownership. It refers to orderly operation, functionality, etc. Like a "well regulated" clock of the day would be reliable, accurate, useful.

2) The author of the linked-to article points out that at the time the Constitution was ratified, it was helpful to provide it to the people of the new nation in their own languages, as there were a lot of people only recently in the country, and the Founders wanted to be sure everyone was on the same page when deciding to have their representatives support our new charter.

3) One of those languages, in heavy use in some areas, was German. We can shed more light (for the willful idiots who are pretending they can't handle late 18th century English) on the meaning of the 2A by checking out the at-the-time version of it presented in German, where the deliberate choice of words and grammar comes across like, "A well OUTFITTED militia..."

4) The idea is that here's another historical marker we can point to that clearly shows the Founders weren't thinking about how self defense should be "regulated," in today's common use of that word. It goes to the Founders' intention and state of mind, which is a vital concept when courts weigh the applicability of the Bill of Rights to the infringements hatched out by various petty tyrants in the present.

Now, about that Reuben ...

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Ben Franklin actually lobbied for German to be the official language of the US to add greater separation from Britain

"Regulate" was used in the disciplined/organized/equipped context well into the 19th Century. The change in meaning is relatively recent in context.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Ben Franklin actually lobbied for German to be the official language of the US to add greater separation from Britain

"Regulate" was used in the disciplined/organized/equipped context well into the 19th Century. The change in meaning is relatively recent in context.

What a wacky old coot!

He also wanted to equip the Continental Army with bows and arrows.

TheBert

The Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2013
    Gaithersburg, Maryland

Wasn't King George III's grand father, King George I, imported from Germany to take the British Throne?

Didn't the King George V change the family's name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor to seperate the British monarchy form the Huns in WWI

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Wasn't King George III's grand father, King George I, imported from Germany to take the British Throne?

Didn't the King George V change the family's name from Saxe-Coburg-Gotha to Windsor to seperate the British monarchy form the Huns in WWI

George I didn't speak English.
    George II spoke English with a strong German accent.
    George III spoke English as his first language, and was said to "glory in the name of Englishman."

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    There was another generation in between: G 3 was the great grandson of G1. G2's son (G3's father) expired without ascending to be king.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    An interesting, if somewhat useless article.

The article uses German-American translations and interpretations from the 17 and 1800s that have been re-translated into English to support the concept that the 2A is an individual right.

This is useless because: The guys who wrote the 2A said and wrote this themselves multiple times. The supreme Court has already ruled it as such. And the only people who will read this article from "Bearing Arms" website already know this.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    An interesting, if somewhat useless article.

The article uses German-American translations and interpretations from the 17 and 1800s that have been re-translated into English to support the concept that the 2A is an individual right.

This is useless because: The guys who wrote the 2A said and wrote this themselves multiple times. The supreme Court has already ruled it as such. And the only people who will read this article from "Bearing Arms" website already know this.
    It’s not about getting or expecting the infringing crowd to read it. It’s about having another tool in your toolbox when explaining it to people. Especially to the “we love immigrants and diversity is our strength” crowd.

It’s a chance to explain that the founders thought it vitally important that everyone in the country own and bear militia-grade weapons. So important that they even translated that right’s protection into foreign languages to help drive the point home as the Bill of Rights was being ratified.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    Maybe this will help with recruitment. Sign me up!!

Militia.PNG

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    It’s not about getting or expecting the infringing crowd to read it. It’s about having another tool in your toolbox when explaining it to people. Especially to the “we love immigrants and diversity is our strength” crowd.

It’s a chance to explain that the founders thought it vitally important that everyone in the country own and bear militia-grade weapons. So important that they even translated that right’s protection into foreign languages to help drive the point home as the Bill of Rights was being ratified.

I understand your point. I would argue that it still won't work because. it is a logical argument that doesn't make the antis feel good.

Slhaney

Sep 8, 2019
    Street, MD
    The antis know darn well that it is an individual right, they just don't like it. Thats why they try to interpret it to mean something else. I learned a long time ago that if someone is trying to explain something that is spelled out in plain english, they are likely trying to persuade you that it means something different than it actually does.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nelsonbencasey

Latest threads

Top Bottom