• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Just South of Chuck County
    I went to a shop yesterday--a place that I usually don't like--to try to pick up some reloading stuff. I actually found more than half of what I was looking for (a new best for this place), and it wasn't too outrageously overpriced. While there, I saw a P-64 that was in excellent condition, and for a very fair price. I went back to get it today, and the guy behind the counter asked if I wanted to see the P83s that they had in stock. "Sure," I said, "let's take a look."

He brought out four of them: 1 in good condition, 2 in very good condition, and one that was high VG-excellent. They came with 2 mags and a holster (typical combloc surplus). The price, he said, was $249.00 ... not bad, considering there wouldn't be any shipping, and only $2 for the State Police call. No transfer agent fees. Considering the condition of the pistol, I thought that was a pretty decent deal, and I had that hole in my collection.

Then, when he rang it up, he said that the price the computer was showing was $359.00. Nope ... sorry ... not at all interested in it at that price, but he went and talked with the store manager, who verified that their store' price tag read $249.00. OK ... we'll honor that on your purchase. (And, for $359, they'll be holding the others for quite awhile, I think.)

Got it home too late to shoot it, but will clean it tonight and get familiar with it. Anyone shot one of these yet? It's not as nicely built and the earlier models of Factory 11 Polish products, but it's not bad. Wish the grip fit my had a bit better, too, but we'll see how it goes. I suspect that I'll like it better than the P-64, but not as much as the Pol-Toks that I'm so fond of.

Let me know what your experiences have been with this one, OK?

Last edited:

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Id like to pick up a P83. I think SOG has them for 180 or something like that

Yep ... they have them at $179.95, and other places have gotten them in recently for almost that price (still others have had them for a lot more). I could have gotten one of those, but without hand-pick, shipping, and transfer fees, plus getting a holster (SOG doesn't offer that at present, but they do offer 2 mags), The price difference seemed like it was pretty much a wash ... so it became one of those "bird in the hand" decisions. I could see that this one is really nice, and even though SOG has always treated me well in the past, you're never certain what you'll get from any of the online vendors until you open the box. A lot depends upon what they have in stock, and there's no way to tell if they've got many cases of an item, or if they are getting close to the bottom of the barrel.

Too bad it's not on the C&R schedule yet. If it had been, I'd have ordered one from SOG, instead.

Machodoc

Old Guy
    Jun 27, 2012
    Cleaned the thing up last night (very easy to break down and clean) and shot a couple of mags through it this morning. The handgrips are not familiar feeling to me for some reason, so I found that I wanted to put the pad of my finger past the trigger. Once I realized that, and corrected it, the thing shot just where it was pointed at 10 yards. It's a *very* nice shooter ... far better than the price would suggest. It has a bit of trigger creep, but the hammer break is crisp and clean ... easy to get used to in a hurry. Single action is sweet, and DA is very good, as well ... a HUGE improvement over the DA of the P64 that it replaced!

Close examination shows that these were made using good materials, but cheaper construction methods than earlier Radom guns. The cosmetic finish isn't up to the standards of the Pol Toks, for example, but the internal stuff was just as high quality (nicely finished loading ramp, etc.). That's not to say that the cosmetic finish is bad ... it's not at all ... it's just that the Pol Toks were almost artwork, and the P64s, when new, showed true craftsmanship. It's a tough act to follow.

The muzzle flip on this thing is much better than the P64, and you don't feel like firing a box of rounds would leave the webbing of your hand bruised (like the P64 does). The sights are thin, but I found it much easier to acquire the target with them than I was expecting. Overall, I'm very impressed with this little handgun, and suspect that we'll soon be saying, "Damn! I shoulda got a few of those when they were around $200!"

Alphabrew

Binary male Lesbian
    Jan 27, 2013
    Woodbine
    Sorry for bringing this thread back from the dead but MAN I wish these were C&R. I'm seriously tempted to get one anyway before this licensing nonsense kicks in. SOG has them in stock.

yellowsled

Retired C&R Addict
    Jun 22, 2009
    Palm Beach, Fl
    ok..ok...

162646B2-FED9-45B6-A901-9B76CE3FD846.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member